• areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Thanks! thanks for the info!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    areay,

Are you still exercising like crazy?? Make sure you get enough food/protein if you are. :flowerforyou:
  • Lolizl
    Options
    I've heard Raw is the best thing you could do, but I don't think I could keep it up, and not for 46 days...especially at dinner...good luck! If you put together a menu, fill us in on it!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Okay... so I am still meditating on WHAT to give up for lent....
    Can someone list some suggestions?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Okay... so I am still meditating on WHAT to give up for lent....
    Can someone list some suggestions?

It's very personal.

Candy
    Cookies
    Eating after___ time in the evening.
    Fast Food
    Red Meat

You might want to pick something you currently struggle with and elevate it to a religious committment to help with the struggle.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Red meat! :sad:

Can you give up...multiple things?
    I have a HORRIBLE weekend soda and fast food habit!
    It probably wouldn't kill me to give up red meat.... well....it might.... :cry:

Also, is it something you keep private?
    Like if I were to give up soda.... do I tell people that or just do it and keep it to myself?
    It was mentioned that whatever vice you gave up was "personal" so I was just wondering.

:happy:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can give up as many or few things as you want. It's alright to tell people what you've given up, but you're not supposed to go around moaning about your sacrifice and draw attention to yourself. It's between you and God and you should do it with as little fanfare as possible.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Okay, nobody laugh but seriously I might give up Facebook for Lent. :indifferent:

And pray instead. Like a trade off of my time.

And try to read. Instead of wasting time on Facebook.

I'll pray about it in the coming days and see what I feel lead to do.

This will be interesting.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Oh! Okay, so since my mother does the cooking (long story)... if I were to want to cut out red meat (:cry: ) it would be okay to let her in on that.

I am still trying to decide on some good ones... I want them to....stretch me. :happy:

***Edit: So, you COMPLETELY give it up. Not just cut back? Thinking about the Facebook reference below.... I am wanting to cut back but since it's the only access I really have to my Fiance... I can't leave forever!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Okay, nobody laugh but seriously I might give up Facebook for Lent. :indifferent:

And pray instead. Like a trade off of my time.

And try to read. Instead of wasting time on Facebook.

I'll pray about it in the coming days and see what I feel lead to do.

This will be interesting.

Oh goodness! :brokenheart:
    Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    ***Edit: So, you COMPLETELY give it up. Not just cut back? Thinking about the Facebook reference below.... I am wanting to cut back but since it's the only access I really have to my Fiance... I can't leave forever!

Yes, I think with Lent the idea is to completely give it up.

You keep your access honey! That is DIFFERENT!! :wink:

I waste too much time and current have too many people up in my business anyhow. Time away would clear my head a bit, and if I exchange that time for prayer and reading (bettering my brain), then it would be a good trade. Like I said, I'm gonna pray about it and see if that is what I feel led to do.

Most people I know give up smokes or sodas or chocolate.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Chocolate :cry:
    Acutally....that could be a good one to "tack on" I don't eat it often but I don't REALLY need it.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    When is lent????
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    It starts next Wed. and goes until April 11 I believe.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It starts next Wed. and goes until April 11 I believe.

Oh! Two days before my birthday. Yay, I can still do it this year. :bigsmile:

For all those wondering about whether it is appropriote if you aren't Catholic - I am an apathetic naturalist, however I was raised Catholic and still enjoy the practice. I think the concept of self-control is being destroyed and it is important to strengthen ourselves as a reminder that we can't use conveinance and availabliliy as an excuse for lack of willpower. :smile:

And to my fellow Lent observers - This year I have chosen to forgo potatos in all their delicious forms. :sad: Normally I pick whatever will be the most difficult for me. Last year it was bread, the year prior it was pasta. Since I have cut back a lot on bread and pasta, potatoes are my next vice to be conquered. :devil:
  • areay
    Options
    yeah, i'm still debating!
  • areay
    Options
    you would be my new hero! i'm addicted to it! but, i keep in touch with my staff that way too!
  • areay
    Options
    This community rockS!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    Red meat! :sad:

Can you give up...multiple things?
    I have a HORRIBLE weekend soda and fast food habit!
    It probably wouldn't kill me to give up red meat.... well....it might.... :cry:

Also, is it something you keep private?
    Like if I were to give up soda.... do I tell people that or just do it and keep it to myself?
    It was mentioned that whatever vice you gave up was "personal" so I was just wondering.

:happy:

On the contrary, it might kill you *not* to. :wink:
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You know, I think that is a great idea. People forget that heating and cooking food destroys valuable nutrients. Giving up cooked food is doing something that is better for your body. There are lots of ideas on youtube for eating raw. Good luck!