1 meal a day diet good or bad?

Options
So I am pretty astounded about how everyone in life suddenly becomes an expert dietician when you mention being on a diet so I’ve decided to ask people who have real knowledge about weight loss. I have been told by many people that 1 meal a day will lead to the slowing down of my metabolism and that my body will enter “starvation mode”. I have been on a diet for the past 6 weeks and I have successfully lost 16 pounds whilst only eating 1 meal a day. Does it matter how frequently you eat in a day? Surely calories in and calories out are the only thing that matters for weight loss.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    People like to say things to sound important and make you doubt yourself. I think real life experience speaks loudly and clearly.
  • Icarus098
    Icarus098 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you have to lose, 16 pounds in 6 weeks is pretty aggressive. Are you eating enough calories in that one meal?

I eat generally around 1500-1700 calories per day.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Icarus098 wrote: »
    Depending on how much weight you have to lose, 16 pounds in 6 weeks is pretty aggressive. Are you eating enough calories in that one meal?

If you continue to lose at this pace, you may want to add some calories to slow things down. What is your gender, height, and weight?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I am not medically qualified, but wouldn’t your blood sugar level be affected by eating only once a day?

Healthy people can eat like this (once per day) with no issues.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Icarus098 wrote: »

Generally. Okay. Are you actually keeping track or is that a guess? That should be a good level for most people.

How much weight do you NEED to lose to get into a healthy BMI?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could get all of my nutrition and calories in if I ate once per day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It's fine if you are getting enough calories and nutrition. I've learned to just tune everyone out. Smile and nod. However on a side note I don't understand how people do this. I hate to be hungry. Plus you'd have to make sure to make that one meal a day really diverse to meet all your nutritional needs right?