Knee pain with P90X

AlizabethBarker85
edited October 1 in Success Stories
Hi Everyone!
I am pretty new to both P90X and My Fitness Pal. A couple of years ago I started doing this calorie log on this very same website and the results were amazing.. I got pregnant with my third child and forgot all about it. I since then gained a lot. I am excited to get the ball rolling again and I am intrested in meeting new people, learn success stories, and having others to lean on when I want a double cheeseburger and have to eat celery sticks instead! lol!

Right now I am on day six of P90X and I am having extreme knee pain. I am not sure if it is just soreness or if I have injured them. The outsides of them just ache. I have been having to take pain meds pretty regularly. Is my body just not used to this X-treme cardio and ballistics? I hope hope hope that it is just soreness and that it will soon go away.

Also, I would love to hear about everyones P90X success stories. Especially you moms with kiddos. I have three that sit around me while I am trying to be zen during Yoga. Its hilarious to look to your side and see your child in downward dog. lol!

Im very excited to have the young refreshed me back!! BRING IT! :)

Replies

• kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Hi..New here also and I am on Day 4 with Yoga X on the schedule today. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Only guidance I would have on the pain is to not overdo it. It wouldn't do to not be able to work out at all if you really are injured.

I'll send you a friend request :o)

Kevin
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    I wait until all the kids are in bed to do yoga x. It's by far my favourite. My ME time. I do late at night so i don't get disturbed and i am so relaxed afterwrds that i am ready for bed. Dimming the lights helps with the mood.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Just modify the moves if you cannot do them. Do not overdo it. In time you will see amazing results. I finisshed p90x in june and was in the best shape of my life.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    I went through the P90X routine as well and had knee pain not to the point that i had to take meds though. my pain came on when i changed my routine and added plyometrics it was the pivoting that did it to my knee i think that the surface you are working out on to comes into play as well as my basement is carpeted...being a runner i eliminated that DVD and picked up another in its place...I haven't done p90x for quite some time but i think now would be a good time to start it up again.
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Try using a laptop to play the DVD and doing the plyo's on a grass surface. If it hurts too bad, like everyone has been saying skip what hurts. The fastest way to go backwards is injury so don't push it.

If its your first round of P90X, getting through the entire 90 days will be more beneficial than pushing yourself to the extreme on every video. 7 days of extreme will not be equal to 90 days of best you can.
  • I just finished my first round of p90x back in June and am now doing an Insanity/P90x hybrid.. I have messed up knees to begin with. I found though that the first couple days were rough. I started taking a multivitamin and a joint supplement. It worked for me. Like some of the others said, modify modify modify. If your knee starts hurting in plyo, maybe just bend your knees instead of jumping. I know it worked for me.

Good luck and Bring it!
  • jessieo387
    jessieo387 Posts: 7 Member
    I did a round of p90x and it works great! I lost 14.5inches! But be careful with your knees, if they are hurthing that bad you really need to modify the moves, no jumping during plyo! I have pretty bad knees and have to be careful in all workouts, so just be mindful and modify anything that is high impact to your knees.

If you hurt your knees you won't be able to workout at all, if after the modifcations you are still in pain you may want to consult with your doctor before continuiong the p90x workouts.

Good luck!! Hope this help!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Hey! Week 10 here. If you're having pain with P90X, I recommend you do a little bit of extended stretches, definitely do Stretch X on Sunday, do Yoga X whenever you feel pain, modify the moves as soon as you feel pain, and make sure you pace yourself and don't go past your limits unless you're sure you can do it without injuring yourself. :)
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Modify! You might want to replace Plyo with another form of cardio that's low impact. However, if the pain is really bad, you may just need to rest. Listen to your body. If it's telling you not to do something, it's best that you don't.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    I agree with the posters that said to not over-do it. I especially agree with the poster that said to take a day or two off (in the long run it won't hurt you). However (and I'll probably be told I'm over-reacting here), if you rest for a couple days and you still can't stand the pain or do normal, everyday things (you know, like "stand on two feet" or "walk to wherever you're walking"), go see your doctor. Seriously. "Sore muscle" pain will fade over a day or three. Serious injury pain will last. There's too many ligaments, tendons and other "stuff" in the knee that can get messed up.
  • Okay, so I've never done P90X, but I've recently had some wicked knee pain with some other workouts. I took a couple days off, but the pain persisted. I finally went to a sporting goods store and purchased a light knee support (one of the ones that just slips on - it's kind of stretchy but provides really firm/strong support). It was only like 10-15 dollars, but it worked magic for me. My knee pain faded away and I don't even feel the need to use it everyday.

Just another suggestion to add to the others. Hope you feel better soon!
  • I have hardwood flooring in my house and plyo is hell on my knees. I realized just today that it is bursitis. I also have it in my right shoulder. It has came back with a vengence too.. :( I am a pretty routine person and once I start something I cant seem to find a stopping point. I think I also tend to over do it as well. I take some kind of fitness drink (Ravage) that my husband told me to use and it kinda makes me not wanna stop and I am utterly exhausted the rest of the day! I think I might slow down a little bit and do it so that I can have results and not have to sit out due to injury!
    Thank you so much for the write back! :)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    You could also possibly have a sprain in the lateral collateral ligaments of your knee, which leads to tendonitis. Definitely modify the moves if any of them ring about pain - safety first. It's GREAT that you're Bringing It and doing the moves. But if that particular pain lasts more than a couple of days, then chances are you've sustained some type of injury and it may be beneficial for you to see a doctor about it. Bursitis, it could be (as you mentioned). I'm doing P90X and I have difficulty with some of the moves in the Shoulders & Arms due to tendonitis in my rotator cuff. Sucks! But I'm getting stronger and the pain is finally going away some. :)

Best of wishes!!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!