Gym

Options

Replies

• jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness and get a good work out without grunting or being judged for not working hard enough. The PF I go to has classes though with a personal trainer for free. And I love the circuit training.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    ugh we dont have a gym in my town anymore, the closest one is 45 minutes away so i work out at home
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I go to Fitness World in British Columbia, which has just been bought out by Steve Nash, now called SteveNash/FitnessWorld. I bought a Lifetime membership in '87 and only pay $6.72 a month. Lots of weights, classes, sauna, but we will see what the corporate world of Steve Nash brings.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    24 Hour Fitness
    Outdoors
    At Home

I like to change it up!! It's fun to do different types of workouts.
    At the gym I'll use the equipment and take classes.
    Outdoors I'll walk anywhere, run stairs, etc.
    At home I'll pop in one of the tons of DVDs I have.

Keep it fresh and keep it going!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. And as much as they joke about those things in their commercials, I've never been hassled, nor seen anyone hassled for grunting, dropping weights, or any of the other things they make fun of. It's marketing people. It's a very relaxed, laid back atmosphere, and my gym has plenty of machines and free weights, and about 5 power racks, which is nice for free weight work, and having a personal trainer on staff that's included with the membership fee is a really nice bonus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Ive always been curious what gyms people go to and if they like them. I go to Planet Fitness and I love it. I actually buy the "Judgement Free Zone" gimmic. Its way better than the YMCA in my opinion. What about everyone else?
    How can it be judgement free when someone like myself gets judged by them? I went to one in Pennsylvania and the FIRST thing that they told me was that I couldn't lift heavy weights. Oh and of course that was on Pizza night.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    Ballys total fitness.

Its ok...the staff usually do nothing but if ur just gonna work out on ur own it has all the equipment.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I used to go to Golds Gym for years I liked it because they have a pool at some locations and I used to plan a day off work so I could use the pool and steam room later I joined lifetime fitness so i could take my family but i got tired of other women stripping in front of my 16 yr old daughter so i stopped but i am thinking of joining again is Fitness 19 anygood. its cheap?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I train at a privately owned gym/tennis club. I love it because the staff has personality and is personable. They know the members by name, and lots of tots and kids go around the club without fear of parents thinking their kid will be kidnapped. There's a huge game room for the kids, and daily kids exercise/play classes. And unlike some gyms that I've worked at, there's no limit on time for my daughter to be there.
    There's an indoor running track, pilates and yoga studio, spin, racquet ball, weight room, Group X room, basketball court, 2 swimming pools (both 25 meters in length), locker room with electronic locks (no lock needed) and 14 tennis courts.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I go to a local gym called 24/7 fitness. I like the fact that it's really close to where I live, open 24/7, reasonably priced, & the owner/trainer gives personal attention to those who want it. The guy must know what he's doing as many local high school & college athletes do sports training with him as well.
  • mroger801
    Options
    I go to the JCC because I work on the same campus as the facility. Even though I end up "working" while working out, the fact that I can go straight from my office to the gym has been very helpful.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I work on a military base, and get to use the fitness center for free. It's very motivating seeing military personnel working out, knowing that their fitness and strength can literally save their lives in extreme situations.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have my own personal home gym.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    gym fees in aust seem to be a lot higher. i pay $12 per week, which i think is pretty good. my wife goes to contours (similar to curves) and pays 60 per month.

You're right about that! I pay $35 a fortnight! I'd pay less than that a month in America... crazy!
  • pugs4eyes
    pugs4eyes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Anytime Fitness because they are open all hours and in many cities. My hubby uses the military base gym for free sense he works on the base and is retired military it is free.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    O-gym-o-phobic here. I'm too freaked out by the germs and other people's body odor :) Probably why Beachbody programs work well for me :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I go to ClubWorx.
    Its a small gym in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, about 3 miles from my home in Willow Spring!
    The thing I like most about this gym is the variety of people. All ages mix well. An occasional friendly nod from regulars is welcome. Very little drama or bad manners.
    Like their new elliptical machines and treadmills with individual cable TV. Makes the time go by faster.
    My only complaint is the indoor pool is in use for kids classes only at the time I'd like to use it most, but kids gotta learn to swim sometime....
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym.

As long as Planet Fitness has the "No Grunting" policy, I will never join them. Sorry but I'm vocal when I lift. I also drop the weights after going heavy. Guess I would get kicked out of PF.
  • shiggyshane
    Options
    24hr fitness..
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Gold's Gym.

As long as Planet Fitness has the "No Grunting" policy, I will never join them. Sorry but I'm vocal when I lift. I also drop the weights after going heavy. Guess I would get kicked out of PF.

Agreed. I want to see someone do a power clean without making noise with the plates or grunting. But, oh, wait, you are not supposed to lift from the floor, because that is what judgmental people do.

I have a gym in my office building that I use.