Nutrition for weight loss while lifting heavy -Women

Options
2»

Replies

• ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and not claiming to be, but I will share some info that has worked for me and what I've learned over the years.

Other posters are correct. Find a calculator online, like the Scooby or fat2fitratio and calculate how many calories you should consume while incorporating your daily activity (TDEE). No need to eat back exercise calories if it already calculates this into your formula. I would recommend setting your macros at 40/40/20 or 40/30/30.

I'm a big fan of Layne Norton (BioLayne) and he has a lot of videos on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/biolayne. He has a PhD in Nutritional Sciences, so I think he's very credible. Some may disagree. He suggests starting a nutitional plan with the smallest calorie deficit possible, while still losing weight at a steady rate. Try to stay at a 10-14% calorie deficit. Then, as you lose weight and encounter some plateaus, you can adjust your deficit to 15-20%. Most people make the mistake of setting too high of a calorie deficit, lose a bunch of weight really quickly, and then encounter plateaus. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep a gradual calorie deficit. Plus, your calorie needs get smaller once you lose weight. As you lose weight, recalculate your TDEE.

Now my experience: I've been at this for 3.5 years. I started at over 175# at 5'2" with around 39% bf. It's taken me 3 years to lose about 30-35 pounds and 18% bf. I've accomplished this gradually by not eating at a large deficit. Although I would have been happy with losing it all within the first year, I'm happy I've lost the weight gradually because I've kept it off and stay consistent at my weight and bf%. I set my macros at 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 and maintained a moderate to strenuous activity level 5-6 days a week.

Good luck and I hope this is informative.
  • livefitwithjess
    livefitwithjess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs 3 years ago by doing a total body workout class twice a week and cardio 3 days a week for 28-45 minutes. I restricted my calories to my bodyweight x 10. It is not a scientific formula obviously but it worked. Good luck and remember that you can do anything if you are consistent and not afraid to push yourself in the weight room!
  • Jcolonel49
    Jcolonel49 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I read an amazing article, which might help you rev up eating right and working out
    http://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons-why-a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie/:smile:
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Looking for mfp friends on this same journey.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Looking for mfp friends on this same journey.

This thread is 4 years old.... Not sure you'll find many friends in it. There are many women who lift though, with various physique goals (losing weight, recomp or bulking)