1 meal a day diet good or bad?

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories at lunch and I have a very light dinner. I strongly suggest you keep an eye on your protein intake because eating multiple proteins or a very large amount of a single protein can seem odd if you are not accustomed to it. I find it easier to break my lunch into 2 courses. For example sometimes my first course is breakfast food and my second course is a more traditional lunch.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I eat most of my calories at lunch and I have a very light dinner. I strongly suggest you keep an eye on your protein intake because eating multiple proteins or a very large amount of a single protein can seem odd if you are not accustomed to it. I find it easier to break my lunch into 2 courses. For example sometimes my first course is breakfast food and my second course is a more traditional lunch.

The protein part of it has always left me wondering for those that do if and OMAD. Whenever I have read about protein the recommendation is to split it evenly between your meals throughout the day rather than the more typical, most in the evening way that many eat. What exactly are the consequences of this in regard to limited eating times?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Icarus098 wrote: »
    So I am pretty astounded about how everyone in life suddenly becomes an expert dietician when you mention being on a diet so I’ve decided to ask people who have real knowledge about weight loss. I have been told by many people that 1 meal a day will lead to the slowing down of my metabolism and that my body will enter “starvation mode”. I have been on a diet for the past 6 weeks and I have successfully lost 16 pounds whilst only eating 1 meal a day. Does it matter how frequently you eat in a day? Surely calories in and calories out are the only thing that matters for weight loss.

Clearly it wouldnt slow weight loss and lead to so called starvation mode - or people in 3rd world countries. POW camps etc who only ate once a day would all be fat - and obviously that is not the case.

If it works for you - fine.

Me personally, it would not.

Eating smaller intake per time spread across the day works for me.

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If it helps you keep from overindulging and you make sure to meet all your nutritional goal, OMAD is great. If you find you constantly struggle to do it, it's not good for you. The secret to dieting is meeting your nutritional needs at a calorie deficit without struggling. Exercise helps me, because it makes room for my late night snacking habit, but it's not necessary if you hate it or can't do much of it. All that matter is that you create a calorie deficit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

The protein part of it has always left me wondering for those that do if and OMAD. Whenever I have read about protein the recommendation is to split it evenly between your meals throughout the day rather than the more typical, most in the evening way that many eat. What exactly are the consequences of this in regard to limited eating times?

Me too (always wondered). As a doddering old bird the recommendation is generally to eat protein in ~30g increments for better synthesis.
    Even though over 60% of my cals are usually eaten after 7pm and my breakfast and lunch are light, I make sure my protein is divided in a 30, 30, 40+split.

How does one eat all ones protein at one sitting and utilize it fully?

Cheers, h.

@Lillymoo01, a quick search turned up this, you may find it interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29497353/

Ps sorry for the slight off topic detour.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    lleesabb wrote: »
    Just remember our bodies need food to fuel our metabolism to burn calories!

What? Can you explain what you mean? What you wrote makes no sense whatsoever. If I stop eating then my body stops burning calories?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One meal a day works for some people. It's also called "OMAD." Google it if you want. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Effective and sustainable weight loss always wins in the health benefits department unless it is too aggressive or disordered. On protein distribution it is just a guess but I would imagine the downside is not achieving whatever the upside is. Suboptimal doesn't immediately suggest negative consequences.

I think you can drive yourself crazy if you get too caught up in recommendations. My wife's doctor preaches veganism at her during each visit for the health benefits. That works for many people but it won't work for her.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For thousands of years poor people lived on one meal a day or every second day. They have obviously survived - so why shouldn't we?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to eat OMAD but I know plenty of people that have for years. It's just not sustainable for *me* long term but it's absolutely personal preference. It is not going to slow your metabolism or send you into starvation mode (God I hate that term lol)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Monomeal = the recipe for eating it all back

Dialing food down into one meal is not sustainable over the long haul. All of these brutally strict protocols work short-term. They're all so awesome until they're not.

Funnily enough, I never had a problem maintaining my weight when I only ate once, sometimes twice a day. And back then, I wasn't doing it on purpose, I was intuitively eating that way because it is what worked best for me and my body. But hey, you know everything about everyone, right?
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the Warrior Diet. Nothing new. Suits some better than others.