Metabolism is not the culprit when it comes to weight loss

Options
I came across this article and thought it is worth sharing and discussing here. It debunks the myth that slow metabolism causes weight gains.

Some key take away:
- It is very hard to change metabolic rate and that it stays steady after certain age.
- Your total movement, with or without gym, accounts for more weight loss/maintenance than your metabolic activity.

https://sciencealert.com/best-way-avoid-gaining-weight-age-metabolism-2018

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article... I have been under the impression that our "metabolism slows down" as we age, because typically people are less active as they get older and they lose muscle mass. So as long as we continue to be active we should continue burning roughly the same amount of calories.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is the best and most important post that I’ve ever read on MFP community!!
  • CheInNY
    CheInNY Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @CSARdiver @cwolfman13, I agree fitness is the end result of amount of physical activity.

@AnnPT77, I see your point to an extent. I should have said metabolic rate at which we digest our and burn energy cannot be altered as per the article. If we look at definition of BMR from Wiki "Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate of energy expenditure per unit time by endothermic animals at rest". So, if you can elaborate more on your point regarding the correlation between BMR and my statement regarding activity I will appreciate it. I think they both complementary. If you have lean mass due to any type of activity you have better BMR regardless of your age.

My point is keep moving regardless of gym or not. For example, let's say you have a staircase and an escalator at work - we can control our method of elevation, right?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    With the extreme exception of elite athletes BMR will always be the dominant driver of calorie usage.

My n=1: BMR = 2050 Exercise varies from 300 to 1600/daily, so even on my most challenging days exertion only accounts for 13-44%.

• candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sure, but here's the thing: I'm not as fast as I was when I was younger. So even if my metabolism is the same and I do the exact same workout, appearing to exert the same level of activity, I'm slower and I'm less efficient because I'm almost 50. Lung capacity, joints, strength--all of that--it's just not what it was. That 10min mile is waaaay harder now, and I'm in pretty good shape.

It makes sense that age-related weight gain is related to being less active, but they need to define "active" and address the other factors that affect weight gain--less growth hormone, hormonal changes as you age, loss of muscle mass. This seems to oversimplify the issue by implying that staying active alone is the answer. Metabolism can remain unchanged, but other things are clearly going on because I can't drink wine and eat pizza every night anymore!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    candicew70 wrote: »
    Sure, but here's the thing: I'm not as fast as I was when I was younger. So even if my metabolism is the same and I do the exact same workout, appearing to exert the same level of activity, I'm slower and I'm less efficient because I'm almost 50. Lung capacity, joints, strength--all of that--it's just not what it was. That 10min mile is waaaay harder now, and I'm in pretty good shape.

It makes sense that age-related weight gain is related to being less active, but they need to define "active" and address the other factors that affect weight gain--less growth hormone, hormonal changes as you age, loss of muscle mass. This seems to oversimplify the issue by implying that staying active alone is the answer. Metabolism can remain unchanged, but other things are clearly going on because I can't drink wine and eat pizza every night anymore!

I'm 47 and ran my last 5k in just under 20 mins and I was thinking the same thing...until seeing the results and the winner of the race made it in just over 15 mins.

He was 52.

This hits too close to home for me! :D

I'm not slow, but I'm regularly outrun by people in older age groups. Training goes a long way.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    candicew70 wrote: »

I'm 47 and ran my last 5k in just under 20 mins and I was thinking the same thing...until seeing the results and the winner of the race made it in just over 15 mins.

He was 52.

This hits too close to home for me! :D

I'm not slow, but I'm regularly outrun by people in older age groups. Training goes a long way.

Our brains quit long before our bodies do. That's a harsh lesson on just how much we limit ourselves sacrificing excellence for comfort.