How often do you eat avocado?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    I really like avocados but they aren't something that I regularly think of buying. When I do- they seem to go bad before I get to them. I know they are healthy but I typically spend my calories elsewhere.

You can buy a few extra days by popping them into the fridge (whole) right around the time they're getting ripe :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As often as possible.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm an "avocado I'm season" kinda gal. When they're really cheap (like right now--$.98 each!), I can eat two a week--particularly as a vegan sandwich spread. But when they're $3 in the winter, I'll make cauliflower or butternut squash hummus instead.
  • randielizabethwatts
    randielizabethwatts Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Day. Total addict :# just polished off a bowl of cauliflower rice and mashed avocado... yum!!!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month? There's no reason why anyone needs to eat a certain amount of avocado. Eat 'em often if you want to, don't eat 'em if you don't like them. Lots of different foods are "healthy."
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    whenever i get an overwhelming craving for it. I get on avocado kicks for a week at a time.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Used to eat 4 a week, but changed my diet recently so cut them out.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I grow my own. My money tree! Lol

You are so lucky! I only buy them when they're on sale. Avocados, toast, and eggs with toasted cumin and sriracha- that's my favorite breakfast!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I had one about 2 years ago.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    any which way...they are great -
    you can make desserts with them
    great on top salads/sandwiches/burgers, etc.

or - maybe the best and most easiest way...
    with Meldon smoked sea salt/smoked paprika with a spoon yummy :p
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I rarely have it at home. Sometimes at restaurant I have something with avocado in it. It works out to maybe 2 times a year.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For those of you who complain they’re not ripe for long, just stick them in the fridge when they’re ripe and they’ll last much longer.

I eat 1-2 avocados a week. Usually 1/2 at a time with toast, or a quarter thrown in with my salad. Mmmmm avocado.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I havent been eating it that often because it is calorie rich but lately I have been eating a little bit in the morning with my scrambled eggs or on my turkey sandwich.
  • javacreek
    javacreek Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hopefully more in the future!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    1/2 of an avocado about 5 days a week or more. Where I live they are readily available year round and inexpensive. I always wondered about "avocado toast" expense, since that is what we do with them when we are running out of ideas - just mash it on some bread. I have discovered the bliss that is a soft cooked egg on avocado on toast. Yum!

I put 1/2 cut up one in my salad and don't need dressing since the creaminess coats everything. Today I will have a turkey club on a croissant with avocado.

I should note that I run my @33 off 5 days/week and weight train on the weekends to be able to eat like this. I also buy the tiny ones that are around 160 calories per half.

ETA: For *most that state they have no taste; that is because of where you live. You are most likely getting them shipped some distance from where they are grown. Where I live they taste like buttery fruit.

*I say most, because some people wouldn't like them even if they were picking them from a tree in their yard. I had a friend that had never had one, and when I said the consistency was like a firm banana, made a face and refused to try one because she thought bananas were disgusting. :D
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Here is one for you, and with a little editing MFP will import it into your recipes. Take out all the "<p>" and you might want to edit the title. That name is hidden in the HTML.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a22520594/chocolate-avocado-bread-recipe/
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    every single day
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Had a small amount in a salad today, but usually i could easily just eat a half avocado alone with salt sprinkled on it.