Can work count as exercise?

Options
Just a quick question. If I have a very physical job, can I count it towards my exercise?

Replies

• cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Just be aware that after a period of time your body does get use to the activity, so you have to add some extra exercise on top of it :)

PS It depends too on what setting you have for yourself. If your sedentary then by all means add it.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    A doctor and dietician told my husband (who works outside putting up fence for a living....a very physically demanding job) that it doesnt count anymore because his body is used to it......its better than being sedentary of course but at some point the body doesnt recognize it in the way needed for fat loss. He burns on average 3500 cals a day and didnt lose a pound until he started doing more. So I guess it depends on how long you have been doing what you do.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to set your activity level as "Active" on MFP so your daily goals reflect the work you do during the day. It would be easier than trying to figure out how much you burned every day.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I think you're "supposed to" change your activity level to reflect your physical job instead.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I think you're "supposed to" change your activity level to reflect your physical job instead.
    Yes, but don't YOU change!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to set your activity level as "Active" on MFP so your daily goals reflect the work you do during the day. It would be easier than trying to figure out how much you burned every day.

This.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yes you count work. You count everything. Eating, Sleeping, Working, Exercising, Having Sex, Playing with your dog, Argueing with your wife/husband, everything.
  • Devol
    Devol Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree you can add it, i have set my work life to active as Im a firefighter.

however my job is very dynamic and my heart rate can rocket depending on the emergency im attending. Also during extensive training sessions again my heart rate is off the scale.

My question is how do you measure work activity though, i cant wear a HRM at work