Obesity/Weight loss issues

Options
To give you a brief summary about me , I do suffer from obesity and have a major weight problem. I can safely say that a majority of my weight gain has been within a period of 2 years. From the age of 18 - 20 years old I have managed to put on a whopping 80 pounds . May of 2018 I weighed in at 305 pounds and since then have lost around 17 pounds which puts me at 286. I have struggled with gaining a mass amount and loosing for a while. This time I feel like it has been a tougher time for me because I actually hit 300 pounds and that was a weight I told myself I would never reach. I do not suffer from binge eating disorder because I never sit and just eat a mass amount of food . I believe I make poor decisions on what I eat overall. Looking back at how I ate food , I could have easily been consuming 4,000 calories a day . Now I consume 1,700 -2,000 calories a day which keeps me satisfied . I do light exercise and occasionally go to the gym during the week. ( no set plan , just come and go when i have time). I have been following this for about 2 months now .

I have tried many ways to loose weight such as weight watchers , hiring a personal trainer and counting calories. Through my attempts I always fail to loose the weight necessary and become highly discouraged. The struggle with my morbid obesity has been very tough for me . My whole life I have been over weight , but now that im a young adult Its become a huge burden to my body and social life. I have spoken to my doctor about my concerns regarding my obesity and we have done blood tests which all came back fine. He did mention if I was interested in doing weight loss surgery to help with my obesity and that is something I have been considering for almost a year alone. Medically I believe I qualify , due to my BMI of 42.5 and having asthma along with it. I want to see a nutritionist and bariatric doctor so I can be consulted and exhaust all my other options before I truely do the surgery ( if i get approved). Overall Im just tired of gaining so much weight after I loose a small amount. My life has been dramatically affected and want a change.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Obesity is reversed by eating in a calorie deficit. You lose weight if you stick to the amount of calories MFP gave you at setup.
  • champion818
    champion818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I understand that science as I have lost 17 pounds purely through a caloric deficit . I guess my question is more on a vent / looking for an in depth advice
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you need advice, I think you need to ask a question.
  • champion818
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Understood
  • BlueyezItalia
    BlueyezItalia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You might want to have your thyroid checked as well. It can hinder you without you knowing it’s the cause. Speaking from experience.
  • champion818
    Options
    Hey ! I had my thyroid levels checked and they were normal , good thing
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Weight loss takes patience and persistence. Weight loss with bariatric surgery takes slightly less patience during the weight loss phase but still requires patience and persistence. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. After you've lost the weight, you need to have a comfortable way of eating that will let you maintain that new weight or else you're likely to just gain it all back.

You want to craft a sustainable way of eating. Start by logging everything that goes into your mouth for a couple of weeks without making any changes to your intake. You can then look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying lower-calorie substitutions.

Concentrate on the process. Do what you need to do and the scale will show that in the long term. As long as your weight drifts downward over time, you are moving in the right direction.
  • champion818
    Options
    Honestly , I don’t feel like I’m
    Restricted at all . I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as it fits within my calories . I think my main issue is that I abuse food. I would eat just because , no real reasoning behind it . Not even hunger or emotion just pure bad decisions . I’ve been angry , sad and happy all through out these past 2 months in which not once did that cause me to over eat . I believe my bad habits are what’s getting the best to me . Plus the lack of structure , example ... I know I hold myself accountable , but having that extra reinforcement would be nice . I agree WLS is a last ditch effort ! That’s why I would love to exhaust all my options ( hopefully succeeding) before I even get the surgery ! I know I’ll have to diet for at least 6 months with a nutritionist before getting approval so I’m already on a jump start , from 305 now at 286 this morning , in 2 1/2 I’ve done that ! I will hopefully be down to 270 near September if all goes well
  • champion818
    Options
    You say you have lost 17 pounds since May. That is a good amount to lose. You also say you are satisfied with the amount of calories you are getting so I say just keep doing what you are doing. You can tweak things a bit along the way but if you are losing a pound or two a week that is perfect. Just make sure you incorporate foods you enjoy in your calorie allowance.

Remember that there will be weeks when you don't lose or you even go up a bit but don't let that do a number on your head and ruin your hard work. It will go down again it takes time and patience. You will get there.

Thankyou so much ! That means allot
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If you keep the bad habits, you can easily eat your way around WLS. It's still up to you to do what you need to do. Surgeons and insurance companies make you jump through so many hoops before surgery to try to weed out the patients who won't do the work needed on their end.

WLS is a tool but you still do the work.