Obese and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    While I agree that your logging appears to be measured by volume instead of weight, I still believe this issue is related to not enough time to see another loss on the scale. It's only been 3 weeks since the beginning of your journey. While volume is not as accurate as a food scale (assuming your volume measurements are correct), I'm really concerned that you are not eating enough for your current weight. I stand by my assertion that at this point, the issue daily weighing. That said, you seem to still be finding your footing on a plan.

You stated that you need to eat high fiber, low fat, bland food. And it's clear that this is not exciting for you. What type of foods do you enjoy? What would you be eating for dinner tonight prior to your health scare?
    I agree, I’m likely not eating enough. I’m 5’5” tall and not really sedentary...just no purposeful exercise. What food would I be eating for dinner if calories didn’t count? A gigantic prime rib with a side of garlic mashed potatoes, a side salad with cheese and full-fat ranch, and some garlic bread with butter...real butter! What did I eat? A child’s portion of the lasagna the kids requested. The reason for the mostly bland diet I’m striving for is that I believe my health scare was actually caused by a flare-up of my previously diagnosed erosive gastritis. Spicy foods, alcohol, acidic foods all cause my stomach lining to erode. The pain was such that I thought it was my pancreas. I may have been wrong. Two weeks on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) coupled with a complete diet overhaul seems to have fixed the problem. Bathroom issues and pain are gone! Now I’m trying to keep my fiber as high as I can, while limiting fat and calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    While I agree that your logging appears to be measured by volume instead of weight, I still believe this issue is related to not enough time to see another loss on the scale. It's only been 3 weeks since the beginning of your journey. While volume is not as accurate as a food scale (assuming your volume measurements are correct), I'm really concerned that you are not eating enough for your current weight. I stand by my assertion that at this point, the issue daily weighing. That said, you seem to still be finding your footing on a plan.

You stated that you need to eat high fiber, low fat, bland food. And it's clear that this is not exciting for you. What type of foods do you enjoy? What would you be eating for dinner tonight prior to your health scare?
    I agree, I’m likely not eating enough. I’m 5’5” tall and not really sedentary...just no purposeful exercise. What food would I be eating for dinner if calories didn’t count? A gigantic prime rib with a side of garlic mashed potatoes, a side salad with cheese and full-fat ranch, and some garlic bread with butter...real butter! What did I eat? A child’s portion of the lasagna the kids requested. The reason for the mostly bland diet I’m striving for is that I believe my health scare was actually caused by a flare-up of my previously diagnosed erosive gastritis. Spicy foods, alcohol, acidic foods all cause my stomach lining to erode. The pain was such that I thought it was my pancreas. I may have been wrong. Two weeks on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) coupled with a complete diet overhaul seems to have fixed the problem. Bathroom issues and pain are gone! Now I’m trying to keep my fiber as high as I can, while limiting fat and calories.

I suffer from gastritis too and they give me something call sucralfate to heal my stomach during those episodes. I have to be low fat due to another health issue.so know that gastritis can come back even if you are doing all things correct. for me spicy food aggravates it and hot coffee, cold coffee is fine. gastritis actually is an inflammation of the stomach lining. if you dont already see a gastroenterologist and see why you have those issues. I have it due to producing too much stomach acid.
  • Amandachanges
    Options

I suffer from gastritis too and they give me something call sucralfate to heal my stomach during those episodes. I have to be low fat due to another health issue.so know that gastritis can come back even if you are doing all things correct. for me spicy food aggravates it and hot coffee, cold coffee is fine. gastritis actually is an inflammation of the stomach lining. if you dont already see a gastroenterologist and see why you have those issues. I have it due to producing too much stomach acid.

I was diagnosed in January. They hospitalized me for four nights/5 days. They said mine was likely caused by NSAID’s (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Asprin), due to having taken them regularly since I was an infant (rheumatoid arthritis). Who knows what the cause is, though. They said mine could even be autoimmune. Regardless, I’m finally getting in to see a gastroenterologist next month. Hopefully he prescribes something to deal with the pain. While I was in the hospital they were treating me with Dilauded. Now I use Norco.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I was diagnosed in January. They hospitalized me for four nights/5 days. They said mine was likely caused by NSAID’s (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Asprin), due to having taken them regularly since I was an infant (rheumatoid arthritis). Who knows what the cause is, though. They said mine could even be autoimmune. Regardless, I’m finally getting in to see a gastroenterologist next month. Hopefully he prescribes something to deal with the pain. While I was in the hospital they were treating me with Dilauded. Now I use Norco.

I too have RA and for me lifting weights and doing resistance training helped mine. they told me to stay away from all kinds of pain meds and to only take when needed. can they find a different med for your RA? one that isnt an opiate? norco can cause constipation so that may be where yours came from.RA is an autoimmune disease. gastritis can be caused by many things. for me it wasnt nsaids as I barely ever take them.
  • Amandachanges
    Options

I too have RA and for me lifting weights and doing resistance training helped mine. they told me to stay away from all kinds of pain meds and to only take when needed. can they find a different med for your RA? one that isnt an opiate? norco can cause constipation so that may be where yours came from.RA is an autoimmune disease. gastritis can be caused by many things. for me it wasnt nsaids as I barely ever take them.

I was feeling a lot better when I was lifting free-weights, but I think on some things my form was bad (deadlifts especially). I stopped due to time constraints and the fact that I wasn’t dieting. I shouldn’t have stopped, now I forget my routine and how to do everything. I can’t afford a trainer. As far as pain goes, my RA goes in and out of remission so often that the pAin from it isn’t typically problematic (weather definitely sets it off though). Honestly, I started taking the Norco shortly after I gave birth to #4, as that’s when the migraines started. The doctors have no clue, other than that something went wrong with the multiple failed epidurals and the failed spinal block. They put the needles in the wrong place, apparently...as I could still feel 100% and still walk around. So my neurologist used to tell me to switch between the Norco and the Naproxen during migraines, which worked...then came the erosive gastritis diagnosis...and now I’m not allowed to have any nsaids. So bye-bye Naproxen, hello Norco. Trust me, I know opiates are bad. Up until my hospitalization in January I was taking 2 10/325’s every 2 or 3 days. Then, after 5 days of being given Dilaudid every 3 hours I was sent home, still in pain. Since then I have been taking 2 10/325’s every day, out of habit, and out of fear of rebound pain (which is inevitable if I ever quit them).
  • Amandachanges
    Options
    Btw, can you guys see my weight chart? I tried to make everything public. Anyways, I know everyone’s telling me not to look at the scale, but I’ve gained a pound since last Saturday. Makes me sad. I know my diet is a mixed bag of “what’s available”, but my macros and calorie level should be producing a somewhat consistent loss, considering my excessive girth. I’m not stressed over it at this point, just perturbed.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read all replies, but..

Do you feel like eating the way you are is really sustainable long term? Prepackaged foods and stuff? I lost 145 lbs eating exactly what I wanted to eat - just in moderation and logging every single bite. I also NEVER set my calorie goal as low as 1200. I believe my lowest was 1500 - even at 190 lbs. I lost the most weight when I was working out and eating ~1800 calories a day. Now, granted, over two years of not counting or exercising - I’ve gained most of it back (100% my fault - horrible habits post several surgeries - long story) but that’s what worked for me the first time, and that’s what is working this time. Whenever I tried to eat prepackaged stuff - it caused issues.

Eat real foods, girl. Cook, learn to enjoy cooking, experiment, find healthy crock pot meals (my fave), enjoy your food. DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF. Make sure what you are doing is sustainable. Something you can do and succeed long term. Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting your goals so, so high. It’s a marathon, not a race.
  • Amandachanges
    Options
    I didn’t read all replies, but..

Do you feel like eating the way you are is really sustainable long term? Prepackaged foods and stuff? I lost 145 lbs eating exactly what I wanted to eat - just in moderation and logging every single bite. I also NEVER set my calorie goal as low as 1200. I believe my lowest was 1500 - even at 190 lbs. I lost the most weight when I was working out and eating ~1800 calories a day. Now, granted, over two years of not counting or exercising - I’ve gained most of it back (100% my fault - horrible habits post several surgeries - long story) but that’s what worked for me the first time, and that’s what is working this time. Whenever I tried to eat prepackaged stuff - it caused issues.

Eat real foods, girl. Cook, learn to enjoy cooking, experiment, find healthy crock pot meals (my fave), enjoy your food. DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF. Make sure what you are doing is sustainable. Something you can do and succeed long term. Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting your goals so, so high. It’s a marathon, not a race.

I really do need to learn how to use the recipe creator. I make real food (crockpot usually) for the kids all the time. I’m just gun shy to eat it because no single serving of, let’s say, beef stew, is going to have the same amount of calories. One might have more meat and less carrots, or more potatoes and less meat. Everyone talks about logging everything to get an exact gauge of caloric consumption and macros...but how do I do that with the aforementioned beef stew example? I’d be much more laid back with the marathon idea if I weren’t actively trying to conceive. I’ll be 39 in December, and I’m afraid that if I wait for the marathon to be over, my fertility window will be gone as well. :(
  • therealklane
    Options
    The more you stress, the worse it is. For real. If you’re making pot roast, log all of your ingredients into “recipes” and portion it out. You may not be 100% exact, but you’re going to be pretty darn close. There will also be juices and stuff that account for some of the calories that you don’t actually consume..so again..you’re going to be pretty close. You can eat a lot more “real” food for 1200-1500 calories be much more satisfied than you can packaged meals. YOU CAN STILL ENJOY FOOD, GIRL :)
  • Amandachanges
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Okay, well I’m going grocery shopping later today, so I’ll stop buying all the pre-packaged junk. Still going to get some though, as a lot of times I need it for the convenience ;-)
  • therealklane
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I definitely understand, don’t get me wrong. I keep lean cuisine pizzas in my fridge at work just in case I can’t leave. However, I’d much rather have some good, home cooked food than that if I can. It’s rare for me to eat that unless I’m really pressed for time. Don’t stress so much! You’ll do fine. Add me if you’d like.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Okay, well I’m going grocery shopping later today, so I’ll stop buying all the pre-packaged junk. Still going to get some though, as a lot of times I need it for the convenience ;-)

I buy prepackaged foods and what most would consider junk food. It's convenient for me and it tastes good.
    Obviously I don't eat it all day or anything outrageous but I definitely enjoy having a cookie or Hershey bar!
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Calories in Calories out.
    Clearly I'm not suggesting people eat prepackaged foods all the time but I think all things can be enjoyed in moderation.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, there are too many but I would say a good chance of your weight gains on a low calorie diet is sodium. You said you are eating all premade food which is notoriously high in sodium which will make you retain water. You mentioned low-sodium frozen dinners (which I bet are still pretty high) but I seen like chex mix which I bet is pretty high in sodium also. You really should start to make your own and use the recipe builder. It takes a little getting used to but the results will be healthier food that you are in control of.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I was feeling a lot better when I was lifting free-weights, but I think on some things my form was bad (deadlifts especially). I stopped due to time constraints and the fact that I wasn’t dieting. I shouldn’t have stopped, now I forget my routine and how to do everything. I can’t afford a trainer. As far as pain goes, my RA goes in and out of remission so often that the pAin from it isn’t typically problematic (weather definitely sets it off though). Honestly, I started taking the Norco shortly after I gave birth to #4, as that’s when the migraines started. The doctors have no clue, other than that something went wrong with the multiple failed epidurals and the failed spinal block. They put the needles in the wrong place, apparently...as I could still feel 100% and still walk around. So my neurologist used to tell me to switch between the Norco and the Naproxen during migraines, which worked...then came the erosive gastritis diagnosis...and now I’m not allowed to have any nsaids. So bye-bye Naproxen, hello Norco. Trust me, I know opiates are bad. Up until my hospitalization in January I was taking 2 10/325’s every 2 or 3 days. Then, after 5 days of being given Dilaudid every 3 hours I was sent home, still in pain. Since then I have been taking 2 10/325’s every day, out of habit, and out of fear of rebound pain (which is inevitable if I ever quit them).

if you can get back into lifting free weights do that and you dont need a trainer. lots of videos online show how to use proper form. and there is a post here about lifting programs you can use which will be less than a trainer and many you could do at home. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you. as for lifting you dont need to be dieting,when you lift and diet yes it will help you to lose fat and change how your body looks,but lifting even when not dieting is good for your muscles,joints and even bones studies show it can help prevent osteoperosis. yeah migraines can be caused from epidurals. and weather is awful for RA. I would find another neurologist if you can and see if they can give you something else for the migraines that arent narcotics. there are many out there.

I workout and I dont use a trainer nor do I go to a gym. I do it myself . I cant afford a trainer and the small gym that opened up in my town doesnt have a trainer or anything and I cant afford it. since RA attacks your body I am going to make sure IM active for as long as I can ,its a crippling disease and I definitely dont want to be crippled up. I see what it can do to people,its awful. so for me lifting will be in my life . I notice that when I slack off and dont work out my aches and pains from the RA are worse. so Id rather be sore from working out than in pain from the RA. I sleep better too. but that could be just me.
  • Amandachanges
    Options
    Wow, the maths! Plus, I don’t have a large food scale to weigh my crockpot (is that what you’re saying to do?) I’m going to have to figure something out!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Wow, the maths! Plus, I don’t have a large food scale to weigh my crockpot (is that what you’re saying to do?) I’m going to have to figure something out!

I do it a little differently. Weigh everything as it goes in to get the total calories from the recipe. I then weight to finished product, and use the total weight as the number of servings. That way when I grab some left overs, I weight it and enter that number of servings to get the correct calorie count. The nice thing with this is that if you want a smaller or larger serving, or if someone grabs a bunch without you knowing how much, you don't need to worry about that messing with your numbers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

my food scale weighs up to 12 lbs. I can weigh my crockpot(the insert part) not sure if you have one with an insert or not. could always try the regular scale to get the weight of it empty and convert it to grams? then put the stew or whatever is in the crockpot into a bowl? tare the bowl first and then subtract from that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I do it a little differently. Weigh everything as it goes in to get the total calories from the recipe. I then weight to finished product, and use the total weight as the number of servings. That way when I grab some left overs, I weight it and enter that number of servings to get the correct calorie count. The nice thing with this is that if you want a smaller or larger serving, or if someone grabs a bunch without you knowing how much, you don't need to worry about that messing with your numbers.

even the way I do it if someone grabs some it doesnt mess with the numbers as when I weigh everything (the finished product) and take out a serving .I log what aa serving is in my recipe. that way I know what a serving is and if I eat less or more I can just do the math. the thing with stew is that even when you weigh everything that goes in(I do the same) its going to weigh more if you add water or other things. which is why I do it the way I do. I mean either way would results in a total weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

even the way I do it if someone grabs some it doesnt mess with the numbers as when I weigh everything (the finished product) and take out a serving .I log what aa serving is in my recipe. that way I know what a serving is and if I eat less or more I can just do the math. the thing with stew is that even when you weigh everything that goes in(I do the same) its going to weigh more if you add water or other things. which is why I do it the way I do. I mean either way would results in a total weight.

Which is why I weigh the finish product for the number of servings. I was just offering an alternative with my explanation as to why I do it that way.