Anti inflammatory diets

Options
Grnhouse
Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
Hi all,
Anybody try to help control their inflammation with anti inflammatory diet programs?

Replies

• katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anybody try to help control their inflammation with anti inflammatory diet programs?

For me it was making sure my Omega 3's and 6's we're balanced correctly.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My pain management nurse practitioner recommended the book
    " The Deflame Diet: DeFlame your diet, body, and mind", it is about $25, I did not buy it, I did not read it.
    There is a website as well. http://www.deflame.com/ I have not researched this any more than taking a quick look .
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    There is a specialized one if you have the blood antigen HLA-B27. It is as little starch as possible. Just Google "HLA-B27 starch" and you will find ome peer reviewed science. KickAS.com has a section on it in the forum and intructions. I tried it a while and it is crazy hard. My flares have been even less frequent just from my weight loss and going without starch was just too hard; I gave up on it. But for some people, it has helped a lot.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What kind of inflammation and what are your symptoms?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

This is what i am thinking because it can drive a different answer.
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

This is what i am thinking because it can drive a different answer.

Exactly.
  • Grnhouse
    Options

I have lower back pain due to lumbar spine issues. I taken ibuprofen 800 3xs a day but I still feel and see that one side is swollen still.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I have lower back pain due to lumbar spine issues. I taken ibuprofen 800 3xs a day but I still feel and see that one side is swollen still.

Please be careful with this level of NSAID consumption. Over time they can cause kidney and GI damage.

Have you been to a physiotherapist?

Localized swelling can be helped with ice and sometimes heat, depending on the cause. It is typically a symptom of underlying injury, not something that is managed by diet. Please see a trained medical professional who is familiar with you and your condition.

I agree with this. You won't solve this with diet changes, but rather physiotherapy to help alleviate the pain and fix the source problem. Overall, if you are overweight, than just losing weight alone will generally help.
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Please be careful with this level of NSAID consumption. Over time they can cause kidney and GI damage.

Have you been to a physiotherapist?

Localized swelling can be helped with ice and sometimes heat, depending on the cause. It is typically a symptom of underlying injury, not something that is managed by diet. Please see a trained medical professional who is familiar with you and your condition.

I agree with this. You won't solve this with diet changes, but rather physiotherapy to help alleviate the pain and fix the source problem. Overall, if you are overweight, than just losing weight alone will generally help.

Agree on all of the above.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Anti inflammatory diets don't help very much with injuries. :( I would do physio. Weight loss might help but it might not. I had a bulging disc and made an effort to lose weight and exercise. After losing my weight (by eating whole foods mainly) and exercising regularly the disc burst and now I have some paralysis.... I did not do physio. Wish I had spent the money.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have Degenerative Disc Disease, multiple herniated discs, 2 annual tears, and multiple hematomas on my spine. Losing weight has helped. Avoiding inflammatory foods like grains and dairy has helped. Seeing a chiropractor for routine adjustments has helped. Yoga has helped. Strength training has helped. Low impact workouts like swimming has helped. I've added Tumeric to my diet, maybe that's helped.

In my personal experience, there is no one thing that helps, but instead is a combination of multiple lifestyle changes. I am only 43 and do not want the fusion surgery so am doing everything in my power to avoid it. A few years ago I was taking Oxycodone like candy. I decided enough was enough with those and then switched to muscle relaxers to just take the edge off. I can say with confidence that I haven't taken any medication, not even so much as an Advil in the last 9 months. Of course, 9 months ago was the last time I threw my back out, but my recovery was so much better this time.
  • Grnhouse
    Options
    @psuLemon, @CarvedTones, @nvmomketo and all. Thxs for info. I did get mri. Shows DDD at lower back and sciatica drives me nuts. I’ve been to PT and maxed out insurance benefits on it. Is PT the same as physio? I am not overweight.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it's a food issue causing inflammation, there are several elimination diets out there. Google Whole 30, you do it for 30 days, see how you feel, and slowly start adding back the things that you didn't have during that time to see if they trigger you...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon, @CarvedTones, @nvmomketo and all. Thxs for info. I did get mri. Shows DDD at lower back and sciatica drives me nuts. I’ve been to PT and maxed out insurance benefits on it. Is PT the same as physio? I am not overweight.

Yes, PT in this case is referring to physio. It's expensive if you're going out of pocket. A good one will teach you how to manage at home. I've had to go out of pocket in the past. I figure that the cost is worth making my life less miserable.
  • Sapphireblue1
    Sapphireblue1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have DDD, stenosis, bulging disks etc. I had non-invasive back surgery to relieve severe sciatica and it did it’s job. Still have some back pain and wouldn’t recommend surgery for anyone unless severe pain. Mine was a nerve twisted and stuck. I ache all over and try to just live with the pain but sometimes take Tylenol to make life more tolerable. Am starting anti-inflammatory this week and will see how it goes.