Tips on how to not buy all the clothes when you've dropped a size? (but still have more to go)

Options

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to calm down on the shopping bit. I've gone through several whole wardrobes and several taking in of the yoga pants on the sewing machine. Once I was able to get a size large on me, it was game on. Then I got to a medium and I went shopping for about a month.

The key? Intentionality. Don't buy stuff just because you can fit into that size. I shopped with intention: I need a white shirt with this fit in that style for these potential outfits and it needs to not be expensive. So that would be a few days hunt for the "perfect fit." Then, oh, black jeans to go with these outfits, etc., etc. I had a plan when I went shopping.

I also am not at my goal size, so I made sure the bottoms were stretchy. Not only will it adjust a bit with you, but they are also very easy to take in on a sewing machine.

I spent some time developing my style, to really consider what asthetic appeals to me. So, go ahead and enjoy buying clothes, but don't just go shopping and buy a bunch of crap you can't put an outft together with, or will be bagging off of you in a week or two.

And, WEAR IT. I get asked why I'm so dressed up all the time...uh, this is the asthetic I like, and I didn't buy these clothes just to look at them hanging in my closet.

I wore an outfit of new clothes to my more manual-labour job and I felt conspicuously overdressed. (Also might have been the dark pink/red lipstick and all-black-and-white on a Friday 9am...lol). But then I got to my office job and it felt perfect. I'm definitely wearing everything I got, and they definitely work together. I only bought one shirt I'm pretty unsure of, but it was only $4.50 and my mom said it wasn't worth returning. It's also a little snug, so maybe I'll like it better in the future. I feel like it would work better with jeans but I actually don't have any jeans. I might try searching for cheap jeans at thrift stores if they exist in my size.

I think I'll need to learn more about sewing. We have a sewing machine and I used to know some basic stuff. Maybe one weekend I'll tinker and see if I can figure out threading and bobbins and sewing in a straight line XD

I definitely don't have a "personal style" at all, and I've never shopped with intention except "whoops my clothes fell off/fell apart/got too small/my mom told me my clothes look bad" lol. I do know what colours look nice on me, more dark/strong colours. No orange/yellow/green (makes me look like I'm dying). Then I just pick what's comfortable and I like. The like vs will actually wear struggle is real. I LOVE blazers and dresses but I feel super duper weird putting them on "for no reason".
  • kiela64
    edited July 2018
    Options
    DebTavares wrote: »
    I have lost a total of 32 lbs and did buy quite a bit of new clothes but I recently went shopping in my closet and to my surprise so many clothes that hadn't fit me for over 3 years now fit again. So yay a whole new wardrobe for free! I can understand OP however wanting to buy new clothes that look good. Plus clothes are fun, at least for me anyway.

Yes, I can't wait until my saved 2 pairs of pants and a small heap of tops are wearable again! The pants will be sooner than the tops. So glad I kept them! I kinda wish I'd saved more but it wasn't until I was edging out of size 16 that I thought "this isn't good I need to fix this". They are fun! I definitely feel more confident and cute in clothes that fit and are more interesting than my boring old stretched out stuff.

Also - hey I'm just at 32lbs lost as well :smiley: twinsies! XD
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 75 lbs. I couldn’t wait until I was done to buy new clothes. It took over a year to lose the weight. I went from 16/18 pant to a 6/8 and size 18 dress to a size 10. I bought some essentials on sale, but didn’t buy a whole new wardrobe. I looked at it as a reward for my hard work. I also think buying new clothes that fit great will give you the motivation to keep going. You just can’t go out buying everything because in a couple of months they will be too baggy again. Some of my favorite new purchases are too big now, but it felt great to wear them while I could.

Yes, this is a long haul for me too. I started at size 18 too!! I found it really interesting, I'm at a 14 in my new clothes but my old size 16 pants don't fit yet, and I've lost ~30lbs. I thought maybe another 20-30 before I'm a full size down, but maybe not? You sped down really fast!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, vanity sizing :unamused: I have size 8 work trousers from 2012 that just now fit, while the new size 8s I bought a little while back are entirely too big. The old ones are easily 2 inches smaller in the waist. Same brand and everything! I also have older jeans in a size 10 that I can barely squeeze into right now.
  • kiela64
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Oh yes, vanity sizing :unamused: I have size 8 work trousers from 2012 that just now fit, while the new size 8s I bought a little while back are entirely too big. The old ones are easily 2 inches smaller in the waist. Same brand and everything! I also have older jeans in a size 10 that I can barely squeeze into right now.

Yeah. It’s honestly just confusing!!
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    The like vs will actually wear struggle is real. I LOVE blazers and dresses but I feel super duper weird putting them on "for no reason".

You got groceries to go buy? Wear a dress and a blazer.

You've worked hard to feel pretty. So feel pretty. :)
    :*:*:*:*:*
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:

Ah, you've been so smart about this!!! That sounds really practical.

Nope, but I actually wore them down this year. I've been just living in my running shoes (which were a little pinchier before but maybe I just got used to them), so I do need to get some too (wallet says ouch!). I'll have to get a pair of work/school shoes and winter boots can be a little roomy so that's fine. But that's probably all I'll do. I still have my dress-up shoes from prom (nearly 8 years ago now lol) that I trot out whenever I need to be Extra Fancy.

It helps that I don't mind wearing the same 5 outfits to work all the time and have practically no social life :lol:

Shoes are where I can get into trouble. Shoes don't care if you're feeling fat. They will never let you down! Definitely invest in good quality running shoes. Professionally fitted, if possible.

Professionally fitted shoes are a Thing???? I need that! Shoes are always awkward on me, too long/thin and wide shoes are too wide.

Some running shoe stores will have you run on a treadmill and analyze your gait, then fit you with shoes based on that and your foot measurements :smile: Not cheap, but neither are damaged feet.

I went to the Running Room, a retail chain created by a runner for serious running gear. I really felt conspicuous walking in there, a fat lady with all those fit athletes (obvious runners), but I needn't have worried. Everyone was friendly and professional. The sales staff -- I should probably say consultant because they really knew their shoes -- had me walk around in my stocking feet and asked me questions about how I wear out my shoes and what activity I plan to do while wearing these new shoes, then brought out two pair of running shoes to try on. OMG! I did not know running shoes could feel that good! I paid $180 for the shoes and they are guaranteed for 750 kilometres (may last longer). I've been on my feet at the gym on the treadmill every single day since I bought them. I plan on being not quite such a fat lady when I need to go back and get the next pair. :)

As for replacing necessary clothing, I work in a formal office setting. My plan is to buy two pair of neutral pants that fit properly every time I drop 2 or 3 sizes, and to maintain 6 to 7 different tops that aren't excessively baggy that I can wear with our without blazer or cardigan. Thrift and consignment stores haven't been good resources for me in the past -- it might have something to do with the population of my western Canadian city -- but I think I will make some time for repeat visits to ones in my area to see if they can be a good option for me now. I usually hit on sales at the women's plus size stores for my clothes, and larger office formal clothes in consignment or thrift just don't exist.

Also Canada, I feel you.

From this thread I'm getting the sense that I'm an excessively sweaty and gross person because I could not wear 2 pairs of pants for a full week! Although to be fair I have one office job and one more manual labor job (on the same day so stuff has to work for both....eek lol).

But THANK YOU for the Running Room recommendation! It's a store I've had recommended to me in the past and ALWAYS rejected because I would always see the troupe of skinny runners going from there up the hill and just. So fit, so skinny. So terrifying. I thought I'd walk in there and people would stare at me a lot. Also I actually cannot run or even jog lightly because of a knee problem so I thought they'd really dismiss me outright and it would be super awkward. I will absolutely make a point of it to go there when I go to get shoes!

I can highly recommend the Running Room for professional, friendly, and knowledgeable service. Be prepared to spend more for running shoes than you ever have in your life. My sister told me, "Just buy them; you won't regret it." After I bought the shoes, they told me to take them home and wear them around the house for a while. If at any point I felt that the shape, feel, support wasn't quite right or just "off" for my feet, I could return them for a full refund or exchange for something else.

edited to add: you don't have to plan on running in the shoes. I told them I needed a good supportive shoe to walk on the treadmill, that my previous shoe was too flexible and walking for too long just crippled my feet.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I'm guilty of rewarding myself with shopping. But it's mostly buying in bulk during massive clearances at online outlets. Focusing on buying only stuff with letter sizing, just to make sure I don't get the number wrong.

In physical stores... well I like to go in, especially when there are sales. But I don't usually buy stuff. It's more for trying a few things on, gauging size and progress. I did have to buy new bras and pants recently, as I am now a sorry A cup and a little under EU 36 / US 6 for pants (and I wear the stretchy ones for which you can really tell when they start getting baggy). Because I can afford to dress however for the job, and because it's hot, I go in summer / beach dresses sometimes. Those can take a lot of weight change or bloating and still look good.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:

Nope, but I actually wore them down this year. I've been just living in my running shoes (which were a little pinchier before but maybe I just got used to them), so I do need to get some too (wallet says ouch!). I'll have to get a pair of work/school shoes and winter boots can be a little roomy so that's fine. But that's probably all I'll do. I still have my dress-up shoes from prom (nearly 8 years ago now lol) that I trot out whenever I need to be Extra Fancy.

It helps that I don't mind wearing the same 5 outfits to work all the time and have practically no social life :lol:

Shoes are where I can get into trouble. Shoes don't care if you're feeling fat. They will never let you down! Definitely invest in good quality running shoes. Professionally fitted, if possible.

Professionally fitted shoes are a Thing???? I need that! Shoes are always awkward on me, too long/thin and wide shoes are too wide.

Some running shoe stores will have you run on a treadmill and analyze your gait, then fit you with shoes based on that and your foot measurements :smile: Not cheap, but neither are damaged feet.

I went to the Running Room, a retail chain created by a runner for serious running gear. I really felt conspicuous walking in there, a fat lady with all those fit athletes (obvious runners), but I needn't have worried. Everyone was friendly and professional. The sales staff -- I should probably say consultant because they really knew their shoes -- had me walk around in my stocking feet and asked me questions about how I wear out my shoes and what activity I plan to do while wearing these new shoes, then brought out two pair of running shoes to try on. OMG! I did not know running shoes could feel that good! I paid $180 for the shoes and they are guaranteed for 750 kilometres (may last longer). I've been on my feet at the gym on the treadmill every single day since I bought them. I plan on being not quite such a fat lady when I need to go back and get the next pair. :)

As for replacing necessary clothing, I work in a formal office setting. My plan is to buy two pair of neutral pants that fit properly every time I drop 2 or 3 sizes, and to maintain 6 to 7 different tops that aren't excessively baggy that I can wear with our without blazer or cardigan. Thrift and consignment stores haven't been good resources for me in the past -- it might have something to do with the population of my western Canadian city -- but I think I will make some time for repeat visits to ones in my area to see if they can be a good option for me now. I usually hit on sales at the women's plus size stores for my clothes, and larger office formal clothes in consignment or thrift just don't exist.

Also Canada, I feel you.

From this thread I'm getting the sense that I'm an excessively sweaty and gross person because I could not wear 2 pairs of pants for a full week! Although to be fair I have one office job and one more manual labor job (on the same day so stuff has to work for both....eek lol).

But THANK YOU for the Running Room recommendation! It's a store I've had recommended to me in the past and ALWAYS rejected because I would always see the troupe of skinny runners going from there up the hill and just. So fit, so skinny. So terrifying. I thought I'd walk in there and people would stare at me a lot. Also I actually cannot run or even jog lightly because of a knee problem so I thought they'd really dismiss me outright and it would be super awkward. I will absolutely make a point of it to go there when I go to get shoes!

I can highly recommend the Running Room for professional, friendly, and knowledgeable service. Be prepared to spend more for running shoes than you ever have in your life. My sister told me, "Just buy them; you won't regret it." After I bought the shoes, they told me to take them home and wear them around the house for a while. If at any point I felt that the shape, feel, support wasn't quite right or just "off" for my feet, I could return them for a full refund or exchange for something else.

edited to add: you don't have to plan on running in the shoes. I told them I needed a good supportive shoe to walk on the treadmill, that my previous shoe was too flexible and walking for too long just crippled my feet.

Thank you! I’ve often spent about $200 on a pair of running shoes. My last shoe attempt was trying wide shoes from a special wide foot shoe store and they cost maybe $250 and they were trashed in less than a year. Also they were just not the right size for me, even though it felt correct in the store. So I may need to plan to do that - walk around at home and see how it feels. Which means I should get them before my current ones die lol.
  • kiela64
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Yeah... I'm guilty of rewarding myself with shopping. But it's mostly buying in bulk during massive clearances at online outlets. Focusing on buying only stuff with letter sizing, just to make sure I don't get the number wrong.

In physical stores... well I like to go in, especially when there are sales. But I don't usually buy stuff. It's more for trying a few things on, gauging size and progress. I did have to buy new bras and pants recently, as I am now a sorry A cup and a little under EU 36 / US 6 for pants (and I wear the stretchy ones for which you can really tell when they start getting baggy). Because I can afford to dress however for the job, and because it's hot, I go in summer / beach dresses sometimes. Those can take a lot of weight change or bloating and still look good.

Online shopping seems to be a favourite! I’ve genuinely never figured it out, where do you find those clearance sales? And how do you know your size online?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @kiela64 The nice thing about Amazon is returns are usually pretty easy. They give you a return label and you send it back. The caveat is remembering you need to return something to Amazon, and not leaving it in a closet somewhere! lol.

I've been too scared to return things and just kept them even though they were wrong. I would need some sort of bag for the things, the original wouldn't be re-sealable! Idk it seems so scary. And wouldn't you need to pay for shipping? I remember looking into returning some swimming body wash that I realized I didn't need and they said you needed to pay shipping and it was like 3/4 the price of the item and Not Worth It.

Clothing that is prime has free returns(because clothing often doesn't fit the first time). Doesn't always apply to non clothing or not prime shipping items.

Prime Wardrobe is awesome.

If you return an unspecified percentage of items, Amazon will close your account. I've gone back to Zappos for shoes due to this, do not buy clothes on Amazon, and if I feel there might be a problem with other items after reading their reviews, am willing to pay a little more and buy locally rather than risking losing my Amazon account.

http://time.com/money/5288702/amazon-return-policy-ban/
    https://www.techwalls.com/amazon-ban-return-too-many-items/
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Also Canada, I feel you.

Thank you! I’ve often spent about $200 on a pair of running shoes. My last shoe attempt was trying wide shoes from a special wide foot shoe store and they cost maybe $250 and they were trashed in less than a year. Also they were just not the right size for me, even though it felt correct in the store. So I may need to plan to do that - walk around at home and see how it feels. Which means I should get them before my current ones die lol.

I've bought and returned 6 pairs of trail running shoes in the past month or so - nothing fits right on my wide feet. Would you mind posting the name of the shoe store for wide feet? I'm getting a little desperate :'(
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @kiela64 The nice thing about Amazon is returns are usually pretty easy. They give you a return label and you send it back. The caveat is remembering you need to return something to Amazon, and not leaving it in a closet somewhere! lol.

I've been too scared to return things and just kept them even though they were wrong. I would need some sort of bag for the things, the original wouldn't be re-sealable! Idk it seems so scary. And wouldn't you need to pay for shipping? I remember looking into returning some swimming body wash that I realized I didn't need and they said you needed to pay shipping and it was like 3/4 the price of the item and Not Worth It.

Clothing that is prime has free returns(because clothing often doesn't fit the first time). Doesn't always apply to non clothing or not prime shipping items.

Prime Wardrobe is awesome.

If you return an unspecified percentage of items, Amazon will close your account. I've gone back to Zappos for shoes due to this, do not buy clothes on Amazon, and if I feel there might be a problem with other items after reading their reviews, am willing to pay a little more and buy locally rather than risking losing my Amazon account.

http://time.com/money/5288702/amazon-return-policy-ban/
    https://www.techwalls.com/amazon-ban-return-too-many-items/

Wow, I've never had a problem, but it sounds like those people didn't really either until it was too late.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had very good luck with Goodwill. I look for better brands that fit well, and donate what has gotten too big. I am down 2+ sizes. For bras, I go to TJMaxx. Never shop in 'regular' stores any more, just too much to spend while losing weight.
  • kiela64
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Also Canada, I feel you.

I've bought and returned 6 pairs of trail running shoes in the past month or so - nothing fits right on my wide feet. Would you mind posting the name of the shoe store for wide feet? I'm getting a little desperate :'(

It was a small local specialty store! But the company was Drew’s and the width is WW if that helps!!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Also Canada, I feel you.

It was a small local specialty store! But the company was Drew’s and the width is WW if that helps!!

Thanks! I'll look it up online, appreciate the info!
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Can also try Thredup.com
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »

Online shopping seems to be a favourite! I’ve genuinely never figured it out, where do you find those clearance sales? And how do you know your size online?

I'm in Europe so your options may not be available to me or vice-versa, but the last batch I ordered was from here: https://www.mangooutlet.com/us/women
    Their dresses and tops are pretty predictable in sizing, albeit I find they run a bit large compared to the S sizes around here. They have stuff with either pretty forgiving cuts or which are stretchy so if you get it a bit wrong it's not that apparent.

I once got a gorgeous special occasion dress from there for like 20 USD. Took it to a seamstress for modifications (too long even for heels), but I still ended up paying a fraction of what I would have in a normal store.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I buy 1 or 2 outfits at a time that are just slightly snug on me, I know that I'll shrink into them so it's no big deal.

I try to find pieces that will adjust with me or at least look good when slightly baggy. This includes wrap dresses, a "corset" T-shirt (back has corset style lacing so I can tighten it slightly as I continue to lose. Drawstring "wrap" pants. I try to avoid too much stretch in materials as they will stretch out over time. If you can find 100% cotton jeans, GRAB them!!! When they start getting baggy, wash them in the hottest setting possible and you will be able to shrink them about a size.

I have 1 "DRAGONPANTS" thing (currently a cute dress), that I don't quite fit, but will fit shortly. That way I have a size goal and at least one thing that will fit well when everything else gets loose.

Belts!!!! Needed to keep older pants from falling off. Belted slightly baggy jeans and a snug T actually look good on me, so it's cheaper because I can find cute T's for round $5 each.