Tips on how to not buy all the clothes when you've dropped a size? (but still have more to go)

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2018
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I think I went overboard. Especially considering that this is NOT my goal weight/size, and if I get there I'll have to buy different clothes at least a couple more times if not more.

Bleh. Anyway, TL;DR just: what did you do? How did you avoid falling into this? Or what did you do with regards to changing clothing sizes over the course of your journey?
    I adulted and didn't buy more than I could afford.

This. And considering it's temporary, I kept it to a minimum. What it the least I need to keep my butt covered while getting to the next level?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    @kiela64 The nice thing about Amazon is returns are usually pretty easy. They give you a return label and you send it back. The caveat is remembering you need to return something to Amazon, and not leaving it in a closet somewhere! lol.

I've been too scared to return things and just kept them even though they were wrong. I would need some sort of bag for the things, the original wouldn't be re-sealable! Idk it seems so scary. And wouldn't you need to pay for shipping? I remember looking into returning some swimming body wash that I realized I didn't need and they said you needed to pay shipping and it was like 3/4 the price of the item and Not Worth It.

Clothing that is prime has free returns(because clothing often doesn't fit the first time). Doesn't always apply to non clothing or not prime shipping items.

Prime Wardrobe is awesome.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

We've had a bad thing of bed bugs in my city, so my mom put a blanket ban on all second hand clothing/books etc. It didn't even occur to me to try there because it's been out of the question so long. But tbh when I've gone to them I haven't seen ANYTHING in my size, usually size 10 and under or 20 and up, and everything was really....not nice. Might just be where I went though.

Sorry to go totally off topic, but I just wanted to comment on the bed bug thing because we actually had to deal with them a few years ago. Your mom is right to be very careful, they are AWFUL.

However, you can still buy second-hand clothing items from thrift stores safely. What we learned from our exterminator is as soon as you bring them home, toss them in the dryer on high heat for at least an hour. They can't survive the high temperature for that long and it will kill any if they are in there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!

A nice thrift store around here is called Savers, and the clothes all have which I call the "Savers Smell" which I assume is some sort of pesticide that they apply to donations. (The smell comes out in the first wash.)

My family has never had an issue with pests on items we buy there.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

We've had a bad thing of bed bugs in my city, so my mom put a blanket ban on all second hand clothing/books etc. It didn't even occur to me to try there because it's been out of the question so long. But tbh when I've gone to them I haven't seen ANYTHING in my size, usually size 10 and under or 20 and up, and everything was really....not nice. Might just be where I went though.

Sorry to go totally off topic, but I just wanted to comment on the bed bug thing because we actually had to deal with them a few years ago. Your mom is right to be very careful, they are AWFUL.

However, you can still buy second-hand clothing items from thrift stores safely. What we learned from our exterminator is as soon as you bring them home, toss them in the dryer on high heat for at least an hour. They can't survive the high temperature for that long and it will kill any if they are in there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Thank you! So then I couldn’t buy anything that can’t be driered within an inch of its life there.... I’m so used to only using the drier for pjs & old T-shirts & bedding. Most of my clothes are hang to dry/cold wash only bc of stretchy material. Things tend to pill in the drier too. So maybe shorts, sleeping shirts and jeans for casual wear only. It’s something! 🙂
  • kiela64
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:

Ah, you've been so smart about this!!! That sounds really practical.

Nope, but I actually wore them down this year. I've been just living in my running shoes (which were a little pinchier before but maybe I just got used to them), so I do need to get some too (wallet says ouch!). I'll have to get a pair of work/school shoes and winter boots can be a little roomy so that's fine. But that's probably all I'll do. I still have my dress-up shoes from prom (nearly 8 years ago now lol) that I trot out whenever I need to be Extra Fancy.

It helps that I don't mind wearing the same 5 outfits to work all the time and have practically no social life :lol:

Shoes are where I can get into trouble. Shoes don't care if you're feeling fat. They will never let you down! Definitely invest in good quality running shoes. Professionally fitted, if possible.

Professionally fitted shoes are a Thing???? I need that! Shoes are always awkward on me, too long/thin and wide shoes are too wide.
  • kiela64
    I think I went overboard. Especially considering that this is NOT my goal weight/size, and if I get there I'll have to buy different clothes at least a couple more times if not more.

Bleh. Anyway, TL;DR just: what did you do? How did you avoid falling into this? Or what did you do with regards to changing clothing sizes over the course of your journey?

Well true, I may have been a little dramatic. It’s not like I spent money I don’t have. I just could have saved more. And should definitely stop for 6 months at least 😛 so if I drop a size I need a different strategy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:

Nope, but I actually wore them down this year. I've been just living in my running shoes (which were a little pinchier before but maybe I just got used to them), so I do need to get some too (wallet says ouch!). I'll have to get a pair of work/school shoes and winter boots can be a little roomy so that's fine. But that's probably all I'll do. I still have my dress-up shoes from prom (nearly 8 years ago now lol) that I trot out whenever I need to be Extra Fancy.

It helps that I don't mind wearing the same 5 outfits to work all the time and have practically no social life :lol:

Shoes are where I can get into trouble. Shoes don't care if you're feeling fat. They will never let you down! Definitely invest in good quality running shoes. Professionally fitted, if possible.

Professionally fitted shoes are a Thing???? I need that! Shoes are always awkward on me, too long/thin and wide shoes are too wide.

Some running shoe stores will have you run on a treadmill and analyze your gait, then fit you with shoes based on that and your foot measurements :smile: Not cheap, but neither are damaged feet.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member

Some running shoe stores will have you run on a treadmill and analyze your gait, then fit you with shoes based on that and your foot measurements :smile: Not cheap, but neither are damaged feet.

I went to the Running Room, a retail chain created by a runner for serious running gear. I really felt conspicuous walking in there, a fat lady with all those fit athletes (obvious runners), but I needn't have worried. Everyone was friendly and professional. The sales staff -- I should probably say consultant because they really knew their shoes -- had me walk around in my stocking feet and asked me questions about how I wear out my shoes and what activity I plan to do while wearing these new shoes, then brought out two pair of running shoes to try on. OMG! I did not know running shoes could feel that good! I paid $180 for the shoes and they are guaranteed for 750 kilometres (may last longer). I've been on my feet at the gym on the treadmill every single day since I bought them. I plan on being not quite such a fat lady when I need to go back and get the next pair. :)

As for replacing necessary clothing, I work in a formal office setting. My plan is to buy two pair of neutral pants that fit properly every time I drop 2 or 3 sizes, and to maintain 6 to 7 different tops that aren't excessively baggy that I can wear with our without blazer or cardigan. Thrift and consignment stores haven't been good resources for me in the past -- it might have something to do with the population of my western Canadian city -- but I think I will make some time for repeat visits to ones in my area to see if they can be a good option for me now. I usually hit on sales at the women's plus size stores for my clothes, and larger office formal clothes in consignment or thrift just don't exist.
  • moulds2tasha
    moulds2tasha Posts: 5 Member
    I usually only replace clothes when they are unwearable. Basically if I can't put a belt on it or restyle it then I get new clothes. I usually stick to cheaper stores like thrift stores or Ross. You could also check to see if a retailer is closing near you because their closing sales are usually 50%+ off.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    I found Trouser-Cut pants at Kohl’s that have a wide, comfy elastic waist. With inexpensive T-shirt worn out 100% of time, no one will ever see. Jackets I buy at consignment stores every 2 sizes. I have to look nice for work. Bring 18s in, take 14s home! Worked for me all the way down from size 34 at the plus-size consignment shop to now the local regular shop.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    I have no idea how to calm down on the shopping bit. I've gone through several whole wardrobes and several taking in of the yoga pants on the sewing machine. Once I was able to get a size large on me, it was game on. Then I got to a medium and I went shopping for about a month.

The key? Intentionality. Don't buy stuff just because you can fit into that size. I shopped with intention: I need a white shirt with this fit in that style for these potential outfits and it needs to not be expensive. So that would be a few days hunt for the "perfect fit." Then, oh, black jeans to go with these outfits, etc., etc. I had a plan when I went shopping.

I also am not at my goal size, so I made sure the bottoms were stretchy. Not only will it adjust a bit with you, but they are also very easy to take in on a sewing machine.

I spent some time developing my style, to really consider what asthetic appeals to me. So, go ahead and enjoy buying clothes, but don't just go shopping and buy a bunch of crap you can't put an outft together with, or will be bagging off of you in a week or two.

And, WEAR IT. I get asked why I'm so dressed up all the time...uh, this is the asthetic I like, and I didn't buy these clothes just to look at them hanging in my closet.
  • kiela64
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Another for thrift shops and sales. For pants I sew elastic along the back so they will last longer without having to yank them up all the time. Not ideal but better than the fear of them falling down in public.

GENIUS! I may need to do that. I wore a belt today and it was terrible! Too many things to undo & re-do to use the washroom. Makes it a conspicuously long time 😂 which is ok when you’re doing your own thing but at work it looks like I’m stealing a break! Also my stomach is a different size standing vs sitting. The notch for my pants to fall down less (not nothing) was too squishy for my stomach when sitting or crouching. That hurt! 😭 maybe smaller people don’t have this issue idk but I don’t think I can just rely on belts 😐
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I've been going to thrift/consignment stores. I donated my bigger sizes so I won't have anything to wear if I even think of gaining!
    The bad part? Even thrift can be expensive when you factor in replacing so many items
  • kiela64
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I keep all my clothes sizes, my size is always changing. I seem to range anywhere from 90-144 lbs lol. I'm sure one day I might gain weight again so no point in getting rid of it all, or if I get pregnant I might want some big baggy shirts who knows. If I ever get sick again I'll probably drop down low again too. I hate shopping, so I try to go as little as possible. Usually every 5 years or so if someone doesn't make me go. I keep my clothes until they get holes in awkward places..

This is true. I’m so reluctant to give things away - anything that isn’t falling apart or I just didn’t like/never wore much/well. If it’s a size or two bigger I can’t predict if I’ll need it either to layer in the winter or if I gain again. Gaining is so ingrained in my habits, I do very much want to break them but I’ve only been doing this since April. I don’t know what the school year will bring. My old habits are still in me. It’s such a scary thought to think of going back and having to buy clothes in a size I’d given away.
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I've shopped in the sales but also shopped for the next size down as an incentive, I now have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't (yet) fit. All the clothes that were too big I sold on eBay, which pretty much paid for most of the sale clothes I bought. You could consider doing that with the clothes you've just bought but will inevitably slim out of.

I think if it works for you that is awesome! I find having clothes that don’t fit a little scary. I did buy one pair of pants that went on & looked nice but weren’t quite wearable yet from being too tight. And this goes a bit with the previous comment - I absolutely kept the clothes that were too small when I got to my biggest. My mom wanted me to toss them and I still have them! They don’t all fit yet. I do have those - total 3 pairs of pants with the slightly too small pair. I got my shorts back, although I don’t wear shorts so much.

None of my old stuff is nice enough to sell really. The brand new, tags still on pair of size 18 dress pants though - that I could. Although I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of figuring out how it all works for one pair of pants. If my current stuff is still nice then maybe? But I’m still large and my thighs still like to destroy fabric. My new yoga pants are already pilling at the thighs sadly. My new clothes may not be super great quality to last through my wearing them and still be nice enough to sell. But I could sell some old fancy dresses maybe.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I have lost a total of 32 lbs and did buy quite a bit of new clothes but I recently went shopping in my closet and to my surprise so many clothes that hadn't fit me for over 3 years now fit again. So yay a whole new wardrobe for free! I can understand OP however wanting to buy new clothes that look good. Plus clothes are fun, at least for me anyway.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    I’ve lost 75 lbs. I couldn’t wait until I was done to buy new clothes. It took over a year to lose the weight. I went from 16/18 pant to a 6/8 and size 18 dress to a size 10. I bought some essentials on sale, but didn’t buy a whole new wardrobe. I looked at it as a reward for my hard work. I also think buying new clothes that fit great will give you the motivation to keep going. You just can’t go out buying everything because in a couple of months they will be too baggy again. Some of my favorite new purchases are too big now, but it felt great to wear them while I could.
  • kiela64
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

This. And considering it's temporary, I kept it to a minimum. What it the least I need to keep my butt covered while getting to the next level?

I think the reason I'm not really seeing it that way is because I'm also in grad school, and working in my field, and trying to make a good impression at the same time.

Otherwise yeah I would have probably thrown everything in the dryer until it disintegrated and just bought a few comfy pants and stuck with my baggy T's. I don't mind looking like that. Heck it's what I looked like while I was wearing those clothes because they weren't in any better shape on my larger body, just fit better.

Now I'm more conscious of my appearance AND I feel like my body is looking better than it has in a long time, which definitely pulls me to shop.
  • kiela64
    @kiela64 The nice thing about Amazon is returns are usually pretty easy. They give you a return label and you send it back. The caveat is remembering you need to return something to Amazon, and not leaving it in a closet somewhere! lol.

I've been too scared to return things and just kept them even though they were wrong. I would need some sort of bag for the things, the original wouldn't be re-sealable! Idk it seems so scary. And wouldn't you need to pay for shipping? I remember looking into returning some swimming body wash that I realized I didn't need and they said you needed to pay shipping and it was like 3/4 the price of the item and Not Worth It.

Clothing that is prime has free returns(because clothing often doesn't fit the first time). Doesn't always apply to non clothing or not prime shipping items.

Prime Wardrobe is awesome.

Noted, thank you!! I actually do have prime and I didn't know that....
  • kiela64

Oh my gosh that would be so good. I really need the help, I'll need to look into that. I don't mind saving for it if i have to, that sounds really helpful.
  • kiela64

I went to the Running Room, a retail chain created by a runner for serious running gear. I really felt conspicuous walking in there, a fat lady with all those fit athletes (obvious runners), but I needn't have worried. Everyone was friendly and professional. The sales staff -- I should probably say consultant because they really knew their shoes -- had me walk around in my stocking feet and asked me questions about how I wear out my shoes and what activity I plan to do while wearing these new shoes, then brought out two pair of running shoes to try on. OMG! I did not know running shoes could feel that good! I paid $180 for the shoes and they are guaranteed for 750 kilometres (may last longer). I've been on my feet at the gym on the treadmill every single day since I bought them. I plan on being not quite such a fat lady when I need to go back and get the next pair. :)

As for replacing necessary clothing, I work in a formal office setting. My plan is to buy two pair of neutral pants that fit properly every time I drop 2 or 3 sizes, and to maintain 6 to 7 different tops that aren't excessively baggy that I can wear with our without blazer or cardigan. Thrift and consignment stores haven't been good resources for me in the past -- it might have something to do with the population of my western Canadian city -- but I think I will make some time for repeat visits to ones in my area to see if they can be a good option for me now. I usually hit on sales at the women's plus size stores for my clothes, and larger office formal clothes in consignment or thrift just don't exist.

Also Canada, I feel you.

From this thread I'm getting the sense that I'm an excessively sweaty and gross person because I could not wear 2 pairs of pants for a full week! Although to be fair I have one office job and one more manual labor job (on the same day so stuff has to work for both....eek lol).

But THANK YOU for the Running Room recommendation! It's a store I've had recommended to me in the past and ALWAYS rejected because I would always see the troupe of skinny runners going from there up the hill and just. So fit, so skinny. So terrifying. I thought I'd walk in there and people would stare at me a lot. Also I actually cannot run or even jog lightly because of a knee problem so I thought they'd really dismiss me outright and it would be super awkward. I will absolutely make a point of it to go there when I go to get shoes!