Tips on how to not buy all the clothes when you've dropped a size? (but still have more to go)

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    @kiela64 The nice thing about Amazon is returns are usually pretty easy. They give you a return label and you send it back. The caveat is remembering you need to return something to Amazon, and not leaving it in a closet somewhere! lol.

I've been too scared to return things and just kept them even though they were wrong. I would need some sort of bag for the things, the original wouldn't be re-sealable! Idk it seems so scary. And wouldn't you need to pay for shipping? I remember looking into returning some swimming body wash that I realized I didn't need and they said you needed to pay shipping and it was like 3/4 the price of the item and Not Worth It.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    I have the 'whipping past the sizes' issue too: I'm a clothes hoarder who loves to shop, so I've kept all of my clothes in all of my sizes. I have a complete wardrobe in all sizes from a 16 to a 4 -- embarrassing, I know. :blush: I'll cull the stuff I don't wear or that I've worn to death, but I'm always sure to have something to wear that fits and that I like, no matter what size I am.

But yes, BUY STUFF THAT FITS. Thrift shops ARE THE BEST. Or consignment stores if you're concerned about bugs. Consignment places are usually 'curated' and managed by someone who picks out each piece and ensures that the clothes are are laundered or dry cleaned before they're accepted. And end of season sales in regular stores (like, shop NOW) can be as low as 90% off. And deep-discount places or 'factory' stores (Gap Factory Outlet, Nordstorm Rack) are often full of cheaper low-end stuff which won't wear well but can be worn for a season without mishap.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

Ditto. I’ve gone from 38” waist jeans to 35” and now those are getting very loose. I pulled down my own belted jeans standing before my dear bride at home this AM.

Time to start looking for 34” waist items at the local thrift shops.

One shop does $1 per item in Fridays so time to check them out.

My chest is still in the Men’s XL range at 49” so I’m good on shirts for a while. I do have to buy tall shirts as I have short legs and a long torso for my 5’11” body.

So shirts are less likely found in thrift shops.

Anyone need a bunch of 38/29 or 38/30 jeans?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

Ditto. I’ve gone from 38” waist jeans to 35” and now those are getting very loose. I pulled down my own belted jeans standing before my dear bride at home this AM.

My chest is still in the Men’s XL range at 49” so I’m good on shirts for a while. I do have to buy tall shirts as I have short legs and a long torso for my 5’11” body.

Your best bet for moving these jeans is something local, like craigslist, freecycle.org, or a FaceBook group :)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

$1?!?!?! Gosh I’d definitely go to one if I saw something like that. I got one Tshirt for $4.50 before tax and thought that was a steal 😱

I’ve heard of stuff like that happening in the US but not Canada, although maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. The thrift stores I’ve been to have been both dingy/dirty with nothing in my size and expensive.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,642 Member
    Goodwill, St Vincente De Paul and Salvation army will your weight is still moving downward. However, I have bought a couple of pieces in each new size because I deserved it. Even those pieces were bought on sale, clearance or discount. Those catalogs that they are sending way way too many of? Toss them. The clothing will still be on their website later when you've reached your final goal weight. In fact, you may not have to shop with THEM anymore. All stores will have clothing in your size and be at your fingertips. The smallest sizes have the cutest stuff anyway and is well worth the wait!
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    I am another one who doesn't like thrift stores.

I live 50 miles away from the nearest mall, so I buy a lot online. One of my favorite places to shop online is QVC. They have many plus size clothes for the same prices as misses. Choosing your right size is fairly easy - garment measurements (for tops chest circumference, muscle circumference, sweep, neck drop etc are given - for pants - front and back rise, waist, hip ,thigh circumference, leg opening etc are given) If you get an item and decide it is the wrong size or color, they offer free exchanges. I like their stretch denim jeans - they will take you through several pounds of weight loss. I don't mind spending a little more on a pair of pants that I can wear a couple of times a week for a few months. But, I have a few pair of these - they are only $27.

https://qvc.com/Women-with-Control-Slim-Leg-Pants-with-Tummy-Control-Panel.product.A225326.html?upsh=1&sc=A225789-CSWB&TZ=CST

For extra savings, I shop their lunchtime special pricing.

They also offer "as is" items that are customer returns - some are real cheap - they can still be returned if they don't fit. I have only bought one top that was an "as is" item. Looked like it had never been worn. (I also bout a necklace that was an "as is" item.)

One of the reasons I want to lose weight is so I can buy cuter clothes - so I don't mind spending a little on myself every now and then.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Thrift stores, FB marketplace, etc.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Build outfits around basics with accessories to keep it interesting. You can have a wide variety of outfits/styles with a few core pieces and then a ton of add-ons. The best part about accessories? You don't shrink out of them!

I think you should always have -
    3 pairs of neutral work pants (black, grey, blue)
    7 v neck t shirts (black, white, grey, 2 bright colors, 2 patterns)
    4 cardigans/sweaters (black, grey, 2 bright colors)
    1 blazer (black)
    2 dresses
    2 button down blouses (white, black)
    2 jeans (dark wash, distressed)

You can find all of that stuff at Gap or Loft and at some point, their stuff always goes on clearance. Try on in the store and then scope the website for clearance deals. I've gotten shirts for 6 bucks and pants for 15.

For mixing it up, add chunky necklaces, earrings, scarves, hankerchiefs, head bands, bangles, bright belts and fun shoes. Keep your nails painted for some added interest.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Thrift stores are good, but taking in clothes you already own in is better. There will, of course, be a point where you just can't take make something any smaller without spoiling its shape, but there are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube on taking in clothes or making your own pattern for some things.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Thrift stores

If you aren’t getting much wear out of new clothes as your still dropping you can resell on eBay if they are a popular brand and get some $$ back for your next shopping spree

The dryer has helped shrink tshirts but not so good for longer sleeved items!

I’ve been wearing a active wear a lot as it’s stretchy and has lasted longer through sizes. Drawstring tights have been the best.

I do need new work clothes now as I’ve been told my pants look like clown pants and my belt has run out of holes
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I shop at thrift stores.

We've had a bad thing of bed bugs in my city, so my mom put a blanket ban on all second hand clothing/books etc. It didn't even occur to me to try there because it's been out of the question so long. But tbh when I've gone to them I haven't seen ANYTHING in my size, usually size 10 and under or 20 and up, and everything was really....not nice. Might just be where I went though.

Sorry to go totally off topic, but I just wanted to comment on the bed bug thing because we actually had to deal with them a few years ago. Your mom is right to be very careful, they are AWFUL.

However, you can still buy second-hand clothing items from thrift stores safely. What we learned from our exterminator is as soon as you bring them home, toss them in the dryer on high heat for at least an hour. They can't survive the high temperature for that long and it will kill any if they are in there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:

Ah, you've been so smart about this!!! That sounds really practical.

Nope, but I actually wore them down this year. I've been just living in my running shoes (which were a little pinchier before but maybe I just got used to them), so I do need to get some too (wallet says ouch!). I'll have to get a pair of work/school shoes and winter boots can be a little roomy so that's fine. But that's probably all I'll do. I still have my dress-up shoes from prom (nearly 8 years ago now lol) that I trot out whenever I need to be Extra Fancy.

It helps that I don't mind wearing the same 5 outfits to work all the time and have practically no social life :lol:

Shoes are where I can get into trouble. Shoes don't care if you're feeling fat. They will never let you down! Definitely invest in good quality running shoes. Professionally fitted, if possible.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Another for thrift shops and sales. For pants I sew elastic along the back so they will last longer without having to yank them up all the time. Not ideal but better than the fear of them falling down in public.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2018
    I keep all my clothes sizes, my size is always changing. I seem to range anywhere from 90-144 lbs lol. I'm sure one day I might gain weight again so no point in getting rid of it all, or if I get pregnant I might want some big baggy shirts who knows. If I ever get sick again I'll probably drop down low again too. I hate shopping, so I try to go as little as possible. Usually every 5 years or so if someone doesn't make me go. I keep my clothes until they get holes in awkward places..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    I think I went overboard. Especially considering that this is NOT my goal weight/size, and if I get there I'll have to buy different clothes at least a couple more times if not more.

Bleh. Anyway, TL;DR just: what did you do? How did you avoid falling into this? Or what did you do with regards to changing clothing sizes over the course of your journey?
    I adulted and didn't buy more than I could afford.

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've shopped in the sales but also shopped for the next size down as an incentive, I now have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't (yet) fit. All the clothes that were too big I sold on eBay, which pretty much paid for most of the sale clothes I bought. You could consider doing that with the clothes you've just bought but will inevitably slim out of.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Your best bet for moving these jeans is something local, like craigslist, freecycle.org, or a FaceBook group :)

I didn't really expect anyone to take them. I should have put some sort of emoji in there.

Sadly, my 26 year old step son may be able to wear them....