More Protein as a Vegetarian

Options
Hi everyone, I became a vegetarian a few months ago...a lot of my meals are vegan but I haven’t entirely given up dairy and eggs. I still feel like I need more protein. What are your top 3 sources of protein?

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils, tofu/tempeh/seitan, faux meat products, veggie burgers, eating a variety of foods which all add to my protein total.

Every weekday I have beans/lentils for lunch or dinner. For my other meal I tend to have tofu, tempeh, seitan or a faux meat product or veggie burger. I really like Trader Joe's High Protein Pea Veggie Burger - high protein for reasonable calories.

You could always add a good protein powder. Pea protein tends to be good without a lot of calories and easy on the stomach.

How much protein do you think you need? As a vegetarian, you have a lot more convenient protein options than a vegan. It shouldn't be difficult to increase your protein.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! Hemp seeds, chia seeds, nuts and nut butters, spinach, beans, lentil, split peas. Those are my go-to protein sources. Chia seed pudding, sprinkle hemp seeds in sauces or over dishes :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Saibasu wrote: »
    Vegan here! Hemp seeds, chia seeds, nuts and nut butters, spinach, beans, lentil, split peas. Those are my go-to protein sources. Chia seed pudding, sprinkle hemp seeds in sauces or over dishes :)

This is more expansive than my "eat a variety of foods which all add to my protein total" statement, but is essentially what I meant by that. I don't consider hemp or chia seeds, nuts or nut butters or spinach or other veggies to be a go-to for protein in and of themselves, but when you have a varied diet, the numbers add up.
  • Nmira09
    Nmira09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you crave sweets and salt constantly that you probably need more protein. Sometimes I do. I don’t have a sweet tooth but lately I’ve been craving sweets. Thank you for your suggestions!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    With respect intended, I don't think that's the right question.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for around 44 years. Sure, big sources of protein are important: Soy (tofu, tempeh, soy pasta, miso, edamame, . . . ), legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts, . . . ), seitan, etc. . . . and of course dairy and eggs if you're eating those. But "big sources of protein" is how meat-eaters think: Centering your meals on a big slab of protein. Think differently!

IMO what's most important is thinking in terms of getting bits of protein from almost everything you eat. It adds up.

I don't love fake meats or protein powders, so I don't eat them. Nothing wrong with them, it's just an eating preference: To me, they aren't tasty or satisfying. If you like 'em, eat 'em.

Even without fake meat or protein powder, I have no trouble getting my 100g+ goal of protein daily. (I'm in maintenance now. While still losing, it was a little lower: 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, trying to hit the higher end. For me, that was 72-96g daily, minimum.)

Look at your food diary. Look for things that account for a big-ish amount of calories, but don't give you much or any protein. Gradually, reduce or eliminate those, and eat more of other foods you enjoy that have more protein. For example: Instead or rice, eat quinoa. Instead of oil on your salad, sprinkle some sunflower or other seeds or nuts, even cheese, and just use seasoned vinegar to dress. Snack on crispy chickpeas or broadbeans, not chips. Pick higher protein forms of bread (read labels) or pasta (chickpea pasta, lentil pasta, etc.). And so forth.

I think this is a supah dupah thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. In the spreadsheet, scroll past the meat-y fish-y stuff up top, and you'll find lots of veggie sources, including some you might not have thought of (guavas? spinach? broccoli?). Sure, some of the veggie sources have incomplete protein (lack some of the essential amino acids), but vary your sources through a wide range regularly, and it will tend to balance out.

Just keep chipping away at it: You can hit your protein goals!

^This. It's hard switching from meat based protein train of thought to a plant-based (or similar) one. Meals don't have to be built around a large portion of protein!
  • Nmira09
    Nmira09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    With respect intended, I don't think that's the right question.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for around 44 years. Sure, big sources of protein are important: Soy (tofu, tempeh, soy pasta, miso, edamame, . . . ), legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts, . . . ), seitan, etc. . . . and of course dairy and eggs if you're eating those. But "big sources of protein" is how meat-eaters think: Centering your meals on a big slab of protein. Think differently!

IMO what's most important is thinking in terms of getting bits of protein from almost everything you eat. It adds up.

I don't love fake meats or protein powders, so I don't eat them. Nothing wrong with them, it's just an eating preference: To me, they aren't tasty or satisfying. If you like 'em, eat 'em.

Even without fake meat or protein powder, I have no trouble getting my 100g+ goal of protein daily. (I'm in maintenance now. While still losing, it was a little lower: 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, trying to hit the higher end. For me, that was 72-96g daily, minimum.)

Look at your food diary. Look for things that account for a big-ish amount of calories, but don't give you much or any protein. Gradually, reduce or eliminate those, and eat more of other foods you enjoy that have more protein. For example: Instead or rice, eat quinoa. Instead of oil on your salad, sprinkle some sunflower or other seeds or nuts, even cheese, and just use seasoned vinegar to dress. Snack on crispy chickpeas or broadbeans, not chips. Pick higher protein forms of bread (read labels) or pasta (chickpea pasta, lentil pasta, etc.). And so forth.

I think this is a supah dupah thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. In the spreadsheet, scroll past the meat-y fish-y stuff up top, and you'll find lots of veggie sources, including some you might not have thought of (guavas? spinach? broccoli?). Sure, some of the veggie sources have incomplete protein (lack some of the essential amino acids), but vary your sources through a wide range regularly, and it will tend to balance out.

Just keep chipping away at it: You can hit your protein goals!

Thank you!! 🙏🏻

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! My usual sources of protein are things like seitan, tofu, plant based meat alternatives (like mince, sausages, "chicken" strips) chickpeas, black beans, baked beans, lentils, cashews.

Also, the protein can add up quite easily throughout the day just in regular things that you may not see as a big protein source, like pasta, rice, green veg, oats, even stuff like types of flour. I made a vegan omelette and it had 60g of chickpea flour which was 13g of protein. Crushing up nuts and seeds and adding them as toppings works well too, mix them in with breadcrumbs and it's really nice on top of things like macaroni cheese. Nutritional yeast is also good, it's something like 50% protein but it doesn't weigh much so you won't get loads of grams (but it all adds up here and there)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What has made the largest difference to my protein intake lately is snacking on lupin beans. They're surprisingly high in protein for a plant.
  • PB4Lyfe
    PB4Lyfe Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    my protein sources today:
    High protein yoghurt mixed with whey protein powder
    Tofurkey slices
    Eggs
    Cheese
    More yoghurt
    Green veg (esp. peas)
    Carefully selected ‘non-candy-bar’ protein bar

Other things that feature heavily in my diet:
    Veggie burgers
    Tofu
    Nuts (esp peanuts, esp peanut butter. Note my username)
    High protein pasta
    Beans and chick peas
  • LondonSummer2018
    LondonSummer2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve just discovered peanut butter powder, tastes great mixed with yogurt and I’d imagine it’d be good for satay etc. It’s 5g protein per 50kcal and low fat

Otherwise
    Beans , baked, kidney etc
    Chickpeas
    Lentils
    Greek yog
    Quorn
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Occasionally vegan protein powder blended with banana and yogurt
  • aeb5
    aeb5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to most nuts and some additional foods that many vegetarians rely on for protein, so I can understand a bit of your struggle. For me, my biggest sources come from cheese and eggs (which you already mentioned), chickpeas, and protein (pea and quinoa based) shakes (which I have pre workout). Have you tried shakshuka? Its a great, filling way to cook eggs and top with feta, boom, lots of protein in one meal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My major protein sources are beans, tofu/tempeh, and seitan. I round those out with the protein found in grains and vegetables.