Advise on running on treadmill

Options
I recently pulled a ligament in both ankles and they swelled. I had started a new circuit in the gym and it involves running, only for 800metres at a time though. I had been doing this for 3-4 weeks before I did the damage.

I really want to get back into it but realise that the running might not be the best as it is high impact. But I love it and found I toned up really quickly doing this circuit. I've done the cross-trainer, AMT, rower before and nothing toned me up as much as the running.

If I do go back to running on the treadmill, I will of course take it easy for a while. I am getting insoles for my runners which my physiotherapist will fit/assess for me.

Anyone got other advise for me??

Replies

• chantihayes
    Options
    Hi there! Maybe you could tr y an elliptical machine since it is pretty low impact, until you are healed enough to get back into full force on the treadmill? I've found toning to come pretty easily on that as well (I use it more than running because I I have a bad knee from a skiing accident)...
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As a big treadmill running suffering from bad knees the thing i'd say above all else is take it easy!

I was doing about 7K per day on the treadmill and at the end of the week my knees were really sore to the extent it took about 3 days to recover. I now spread the running to alternate days to give me the time to recover. As much as i like to run and push myself it's just getting to the point where one particularly bad injury put me out for 6 weeks having a big impact on my whole fitness programme.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Hi there! Maybe you could tr y an elliptical machine since it is pretty low impact, until you are healed enough to get back into full force on the treadmill? I've found toning to come pretty easily on that as well (I use it more than running because I I have a bad knee from a skiing accident)...

THe cross-trainer is the same as an elli whatever the name is!!! I had no idea it was called that in the US. I had to actually google it as I had no idea what people were on about!!!!

I'm not a fan of the cross-trainer but I will have to use it or the AMT machine til my ankles are better. Better than sitting at home on my ar£e anyway!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    As a big treadmill running suffering from bad knees the thing i'd say above all else is take it easy!

I was doing about 7K per day on the treadmill and at the end of the week my knees were really sore to the extent it took about 3 days to recover. I now spread the running to alternate days to give me the time to recover. As much as i like to run and push myself it's just getting to the point where one particularly bad injury put me out for 6 weeks having a big impact on my whole fitness programme.

So true as I think I was just pushing myself too far too soon. ALthough it didn't necessarily feel like I was, maybe my body has different ideas. I hate not being able to exercise. So taking it easy and not running til I am 100% sure I can get back into it. I can do low impact stuff in the meantime.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Try elliptical trainer or bike....both are low impact. Tale a spinning class, just don't stand...that will help you lose weight and tone quickly.
    Feel better!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to say, I go to a spin class once a week. Booked myself in for tomorrow night. Haven't been in 3 weeks now so it will be a killer alright. Defo not going to stand up on it but sometimes I need to stand to relieve my knees (dodgy knees also from running!)

thanks for all the tips/advise