Smith Machines

Options
What are your opinions on Smith Machines? Are they still effective as doing regular squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, and rows? I'm not very strong enough using the bar and plates alone without assistance and I don't have a spotter. I normally use a curl bar (EZ) for bench presses and shoulder presses but if I use the Smith Machine, would this help me? I'm new to compound lifting and actually enjoying it after spending months on doing excessive isolation workouts and doing them too fast. Glad I decided to change.

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I find for bench presses, shoulder presses and rows it's fine as long as you're absolutely in the right position for it. For me personally, because of how rigid it is, I'd stay away from it for squats and deadlifts.

At the end of the day, you do what exercises you *can* do where risk of injury is limited but it's still a challenging exercise.
  • Hossam0Eljuhiny
    Hossam0Eljuhiny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Smith machine is one of my favorite equipments, that’s because of the multiple usage, helping to maintain good posture with no rocks by bar and very safe as well! I believe you should use it for benches, legs and shoulders even free of weights! It would be effective and much better than EZ! On the other hand you should try to train with a friend or at least to have a spotter for every single time you will lift weights! It’s common to ask any body around you for assistance especially if you gonna lying under weights! Safety first ;) good luck
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Since I'm new to compound lifting, I do hope to be able to get strong enough to be able to use the bars and weights alone without the SM some day. The big bars used for bench pressing are very heavy to me right now unless I use the SM for practicing until I'm ready to do without.
  • LondonSummer2018
    LondonSummer2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do freeweights with a trainer but stick to machines on my own at the moment
    It feels safer, I’m more confident I’m doing the right movement.

My trainer does say ideally free weights are the better option if your form is right but that maschines have their place
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions on Smith Machines? Are they still effective as doing regular squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, and rows? I'm not very strong enough using the bar and plates alone without assistance and I don't have a spotter. I normally use a curl bar (EZ) for bench presses and shoulder presses but if I use the Smith Machine, would this help me? I'm new to compound lifting and actually enjoying it after spending months on doing excessive isolation workouts and doing them too fast. Glad I decided to change.

I wish they would get rid of the smith machine to add another squat+Deadlift platform....a waste of space in my opinion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine for a linear movement like bench press but otherwise be wary that it can force you into an unnatural movement that could potentially cause joint issues.
    I do see people using them safely and sensibly and with good form for a variety of exercises but I also see the opposite, which also can be said for free weights of course.....
    The confidence factor that you can fail a lift safely is a plus while you are finding your way.

No short straight barbells in your gym? Or use dumbbells while you build up your strength?
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    The only small bar I been using was the EZ bar. Works just as good but very hard to put back on racks for seated shoulder pressing because racks so far away due do bar being small. I'm just not sure if I should continue using the EZ by continuing to add weight or start using SM for my press workouts until I'm ready for the heavier bar my practicing on it. Isn't that what the SM does, is for practicing but of course for safety reasons? I also notice that it does feel uncomfortable whenever I do my squats.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "The only small bar I been using was the EZ bar. "
    Is that the only shorter bar option? If it is you should have a word with the gym management to get some.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    It is unfortunately. Unless I need to start bringing my own bar but to me that would be awkward.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'll start trying that. I hope to be able to move up to using the 45 lb bar soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan because the machine dictates the movement which can force you into something that is unnatural.

That said, it's better than nothing...just make sure you're positioning yourself properly to have as much of a natural motion as possible. Keep in mind that when you move to free weights (which you ultimately should), you're going to have to go with less weight than what you're doing with the smith machine as it gives a lot of assistance and it isn't going to work your smaller stabilizers.