Any aerialist out there?

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'd love to do Parkour, but you know....on low things. LOL

Why not? I'm somewhat scared of heights. Just do what you're comfortable with.

Because I don't feel like risking dying jumping across rooftops. 😂
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    shepnic72 wrote: »
    findingmb wrote: »
    Not an aerialist but I do adagio on the ground, and have dabbled on a Lyra a fair bit!

I would love to do more but we live in a much smaller place now and it is just not available here - so for now just adagio :)

What is adgio?

I was wondering that too! As a musician, I just think of a slow part of a song when I hear that.
    I am an aerialist as @mom23manos mentioned. I mostly do pole these days as silks is really hard on my joints. I was very weak when I first started, but I also took up weightlifting and now I can invert all day long. I even got my first Iron-X a few months back!

Mouse_Potato just won a pole competition with a stunning piece!
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    lol @TiisTitanium i already had big shoulders and upper arms so nothing new for me :wink:

this thread reminded me of this
    ehvis2r25tom.png

That is hilarious.
  • shepnic72
    shepnic72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the aerialist peeps chiming in. I wish more people would get into it as not only is a great way to exercise, you make awesome friends which is sometimes difficult to achieve in other fitness environments.

Plow was exactly the move I was trying to describe -I am highly technical/helpful in my descriptions..

The only downside (aside from being highly addictive and then the classes take all your spare money) is that it does tend to create big shoulders/lats which sometimes is not compatible with women's clothing.

OMG right!!! I live in tank tops spring summer winter fall lol Its crazy!
  • valleyGRLvanny
    valleyGRLvanny Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    omg. Aerialist workouts look like so much fun! I need to branch out from the boring *kitten* elliptical. 😩
  • valleyGRLvanny
    valleyGRLvanny Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jeebus.... we can't cuss here? 😂
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Jeebus.... we can't cuss here? 😂

Nope, it's all sunshine and daisies here at MFP
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    OMG! I've been trying for ages to learn proper pushups and pullups, and always failed (there's always a long break between periods of where I work out, so I effectively always start from zero). I have a fantasy dream: to be able to do handstands and L-sit. For that I do a few exercises nearly every day:plank, side plank, reverse plank, L-sit exercise, active hanging (shoulder blades together), pushing up from kitchen worktop corner, handstand against door. And after just two weeks I can do proper pushups, and my pullup efforts have improved as well! Wow!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the aerialist peeps chiming in. I wish more people would get into it as not only is a great way to exercise, you make awesome friends which is sometimes difficult to achieve in other fitness environments.

Plow was exactly the move I was trying to describe -I am highly technical/helpful in my descriptions..

The only downside (aside from being highly addictive and then the classes take all your spare money) is that it does tend to create big shoulders/lats which sometimes is not compatible with women's clothing.

Okay, this is funny. I just now figured out why so many tops are tight through the bust! I don't have particularly large breasts, but most women's shirts ride up over them. Its my lats, isn't it? :lol:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Okay, this is funny. I just now figured out why so many tops are tight through the bust! I don't have particularly large breasts, but most women's shirts ride up over them. Its my lats, isn't it? :lol:

So wait... chances are women on this thread wear tank tops because they NEED to?

In!

Seriously though, it looks like some good all around body workout. I've seen some of the comments and photos from @mbaker566 in the past and it's some interesting balance and strength stuff. No surprise that it takes some upper body muscle, I remember commenting on that after being at a concert that had some areilists performing as part of the stage show. I might have to look at some parkour type stuff since maybe my thought train is off.... I'm not seeing the same relationship other than the balance part. But I must have one or the other all wrong.

It seems like it would be a fairly well balanced workout, and with the creative side added, some fun.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @robertw486 - you should give it a try. It is a fantastic upper body workout. My son has been doing it for 4 years now and is crazy strong. He's lucky that he has a male role model in his instructor. It'd be nice to see more males doing it.
  • yirara
    Options
    Last parkour lesson on Monday evening: managed to get more bruises and seemed to have pulled a muscle on the upper part of my calf. More balancing, this time on higher obstacles, plus how to get up and down in cool, bonkers and downright fun ways. And what to do if you fall. Well, it's the fall that caused the injury. Ouch!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i teach how to fall in class too :smile: i tell them there is no falling, only ungraceful dismounts and flopping :wink:

take care of that muscle @yirara
  • yirara
    Options
    i teach how to fall in class too :smile: i tell them there is no falling, only ungraceful dismounts and flopping :wink:

take care of that muscle @yirara

Will do, thanks! I should have fallen onto the bar with my upper thigh, but chickened out the last moment and ended up hitting my calf :s Glad the bar wasn't too high and other foot still made it to the ground to dampen the impact :D
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @robertw486 - you should give it a try. It is a fantastic upper body workout. My son has been doing it for 4 years now and is crazy strong. He's lucky that he has a male role model in his instructor. It'd be nice to see more males doing it.

I'd imagine that the body strength thing would end up similar to a gymnast. Lots of upper body but with balance and flexibility as well. It's cool that your son has found a place with a guy teaching it too. I really have no idea where anyone is doing it around here at all, but might look into it. Having variety is a good thing for me.

On another note, does your name imply you have younger Mango's? And if so, are any on the site?

yirara wrote: »
    Last parkour lesson on Monday evening: managed to get more bruises and seemed to have pulled a muscle on the upper part of my calf. More balancing, this time on higher obstacles, plus how to get up and down in cool, bonkers and downright fun ways. And what to do if you fall. Well, it's the fall that caused the injury. Ouch!

The fall doesn't cause the injury. Stopping after the fall causes the injury. Hope it's not too bad.

Though I've never done anything that I think resembles parkour, I grew up in Southern California as a kid when the skateboarding and BMX craziness all started. I would say that without doubt for any given sport or exercise, there is an art to controlled falls and minimizing the bad impacts. But it can also be a painful art to learn.

• mom23mangos
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

I'd imagine that the body strength thing would end up similar to a gymnast. Lots of upper body but with balance and flexibility as well. It's cool that your son has found a place with a guy teaching it too. I really have no idea where anyone is doing it around here at all, but might look into it. Having variety is a good thing for me.

On another note, does your name imply you have younger Mango's? And if so, are any on the site?

Yes, the strength and conditioning required is very similar to a gymnast. That's why gymnasts are naturals at aerial. And yes, I do have little Mangos running around and one is on this site off and on. He's 23...the others are under 18 so not old enough.
  • kourtneywalsh
    kourtneywalsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi!! it’s so cool to find another aerialist !! and as far as trying to flip upside down, my teacher has us do workouts that focus a lot on our core, also while trying to flip upside try to use your legs and momentum to your advantage if possible :)
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found a class in my town!! It popped up on Facebook. They teach a few different circus arts classes and aerial silks and yoga are two of them.

But it’s pricey. $19 drop in to the classes or unlimited for $145 a month. I’m at least going to try one class and maybe find a way to fit it in at least occasionally.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that seems to be pretty average if not low @snemberton sadly. i understand the reason why it's high. high overhead. insurance is pricey to cover this. space rental is never cheap. equipment isn't either.
    regular yoga classes are more than that by me. :astonished:

open gym tonight. yay
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    that seems to be pretty average if not low @snemberton sadly. i understand the reason why it's high. high overhead. insurance is pricey to cover this. space rental is never cheap. equipment isn't either.
    regular yoga classes are more than that by me. :astonished:

open gym tonight. yay
    True, pricey is dependent on area too. It’s on par with standalone yoga studios in the area. I’d love for it to be offered at my current gym, like the other included classes instead of an extra expense. It will have to supplement my current routine on a limited basis unless I get more cash flow moving to make it more than once a week.

But I’m just happy to have found one locally to at least try. It will fulfill a fitness bucket list goal for me!

• yirara
    Options
    Wow, that IS expensive! I think the centre I'm having my parkour classes also does aerial. I'm curious about the prices now. But they don't seem to be on offer during the summer vacation. My parkour classes are £7 at student prices, and 9 or 10 for a full price, for 90 minutes.