Plant based for the better

Options
bkuyk9
bkuyk9 Posts: 14 Member
Hello, My name is Ben. I started my journey to a new me after years of misinformation about healthy eating. I tried numerous methods, read numerous blogs, and stayed true to the gym; I had no luck. It wasn’t until I gained a considerable amount of weight on my 5’9” frame (221lbs & 29% bf) that I took a hard long look at my future. To start, a lot of my weight gain was from over eating throughout the day and a daily habit of drinking whisky. The alcohol was an onset from my things: Iraq, work, and moving. The most of my weight though was gained after learning my yet unborn child would have open heart surgery within days of coming into the world; my wife and I were devasted. This lead to stress, depression, worry, and anxiety: I coped with eating and drinking.

Fast forwarding to now, my now 1 yr old son is a rockstar and exceeding all expectations. This jump started my journey that began Feb 4, 2018. After watching “What the Health” on Netflix and talking with my mother and brother (both plant based); my wife and I decided to give it a go. We still have some luxury meals but we mainly stick to a plant based lifestyle and I couldn’t be happier. People comment on my weight loss, my skin, and my overall attitude.

My starting weight, as I stated above was 221 lbs. my blood pressure was 125/55 and my resting pulse was in the 60s.

I am now 183lbs. My BP is 115/76 and my resting HR is 40. I feel like I’m back at my fighting weight and I’ve gotten a new resurgence as I’m approaching 35 yrs old.

I’m here to just share my story, meet individuals on my same journey, and to learn from others while sharing the knowledge that’s benefited me.

Feel free to add me.

Replies

• SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great job! Plant-based here too and I have to say, I’m loving it as well. I’ve been on this journey for a while, but am happy with the changes I’ve made! I’m short, 5’3” and was 240 lbs. I’m now down to 158.7 and am excited about my weight Loss! And I’m sure your son will have an awesome coach in his corner for health and fitness!
  • bkuyk9
    Options
    Thank you. My wife has lost 38 since February as well. Most of the comments I receive are “you’ve lost a ton of weight, look great, but you don’t look sick 😂”. I take that as a huge compliment, because I’ve seen tons of weight loss stories where the individual looks sickly. I’m loving the new lifestyle. Thank you for your reply.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Curious as to what your "luxury meals" consist of.
  • bkuyk9
    Options
    My luxury meals are pretty simple. On occasion, my wife and I have an animal protein or dairy. I forgot to mention we gave up dairy as well. We look at those as more of a luxury now than a staple of our every day diet.
  • LovingReds
    LovingReds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share your journey and progress. What are your staples protein based foods ,you eat most often on your plant based diet?
  • dee95mfp
    dee95mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Irish and plant based for a few months now. I’ve got down from 175lbs to 164lbs and getting loads of comments which feels great. I like the idea of the luxury meals, might try that!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    Options
    My “Luxury Meals” consist of a large bag of Kettles Sea Salt and Vinegar chips.... to myself.... 😂
  • bkuyk9
    Options

LovingReds wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to share your journey and progress. What are your staples protein based foods ,you eat most often on your plant based diet?

Hi thanks for replying. My protein mainly consist of beans, spinach, quinoa, hemp hearts, plant based proteins (pea based). I rarely eat soy based and try to steer clear of to many processed plant meals. My wife and I make tons of soups packed full of nutrients.

My main supplementation though is a plant protein called “garden of life” raw organic meal replacement. It’s chalked full of nutrients and has 20 grams of protein per serving. I also love “Orgain Organic Protein” for my smoothies. Favorite flavors are vanilla bean and chocolate peanut butter.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    bkuyk9 wrote: »
    Well, I have numerous friends and family who have benefited greatly by going plant based.

That is called anecdotal evidence and is pretty much meaningless when it comes to the scientific method.
    I see no agenda telling people to eat more plants and steer clear of red meats and dairy.

You see no agenda? Veganism is a business, make no mistake of it, and a pretty profitable one at that. People make billions of dollars selling vegan branded products to people, that is the agenda.
    There are tons of studies in the USA and abroad who have backed the science of eating plant based.

Could you cite a credible one?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    It's also worth noting that if you care about the environment, plant based diets are much worse for the environment than the alternative
  • bkuyk9
    Options
    I’m not doing it for the environment. I’m doing it for my overall health. My blood work is better than ever and my BP is where it should be. My heart is working as efficient as if I took 10 yrs off my life. Good luck to you. Like I said, I know what’s worked for me and mine..each person is different..I see a sustainable future where my diet can last my lifetime: however long that may be.
  • bkuyk9
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Well, I have numerous friends and family who have benefited greatly by going plant based.

That is called anecdotal evidence and is pretty much meaningless when it comes to the scientific method.
    I see no agenda telling people to eat more plants and steer clear of red meats and dairy.

You see no agenda? Veganism is a business, make no mistake of it, and a pretty profitable one at that. People make billions of dollars selling vegan branded products to people, that is the agenda.
    There are tons of studies in the USA and abroad who have backed the science of eating plant based.

Could you cite a credible one?

Here’s one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I’m not doing it for the environment. I’m doing it for my overall health. My blood work is better than ever and my BP is where it should be. My heart is working as efficient as if I took 10 yrs off my life. Good luck to you. Like I said, I know what’s worked for me and mine..each person is different..I see a sustainable future where my diet can last my lifetime: however long that may be.

Because you lost weight, and are eating more fiber, and I'm guessing you're more active as well, all of which can easily be done on an omnivorous diet
  • bkuyk9
    Options

Because you lost weight, and are eating more fiber, and I'm guessing you're more active as well, all of which can easily be done on an omnivorous diet

To each their own..good luck with your trolling. Your shirt says it all.
  • AJ_G
    Options

This is full of population studies, which show nothing even approaching causation, it's full of correlative studies like the China study, doesn't isolate different variables at all, doesn't control for nearly anything. Population studies are not clinical studies where the scientific method is actually used. A calorie deficit always causes weight loss, and a calorie surplus always causes weight gain. Yes most people who consume meat don't consume enough fiber, don't exercise enough, over consume on calories, but that's because most of the world by a large large margin consumes meat, so people who make a conscious decision not to eat meat, also tend to be more active, also tend to actually pay attention to what they're eating. It's analogous to saying most people who die in shipwrecks spend a lot of time on ships...well yea that's obvious
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    Options

To each their own..good luck with your trolling. Your shirt says it all.

Yeah, just ignore people like that. You know what works for you and trolls like that are nothing but negativity. Good Luck!
  • gwilssens
    gwilssens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's also worth noting that if you care about the environment, plant based diets are much worse for the environment than the alternative

I'm really curious to hear how you can back that up as it is the exact opposite as far as I know but I'm always eager to learn new insights - so can you please elaborate?