Revising What Once Worked

Options
I started my fitness journey in March 2017. I was tracking religiously all my meal keeping them under 1400 cal/day and working out. Pounds just melted away . Then I got a bit "comfortable" and even though I still track what I eat and exercise routinely, I cannot seem to find that "mojo". Even though a bit more than1year has passed, do you believe that reviewing what I ate back then will help me get back on track? We have to consider that things have changed. I'll insert a picture of how I started, next to it another of my results and the last one is where I am right now. When I started I was 53 yrs old. Today I'm 54 yrs.
iqppffr3ykkd.jpg
toikv6ii5500.png

Replies

• jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You look "healthier" to me in the as-you-are-now photo. What are your goals, lose body fat to get lean? You certainly don't appear as though you need to lose a lot of weight or body fat at all. You're in better shape than a vast majority of people period, let alone women over the age of 40.

Great work on your progress regardless.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, I know that I don't have them for you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, and are they realistic? Honestly, I think you look the healthiest in the third picture.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You look amazing in your current pic. What exactly are you wanting to change?
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lean as I got when I started. I was at 128 lbs from 150. Not I'm at 135 lbs.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look great.

Was that a healthy and sustainable bodyfat for you? There is nothing wrong with leaning down but it can come with side effects if you stay there long term.

You are just coming from an injury, correct? Give it time to get back into the swing of things and get your mojo and drive back.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »

But is the issue you want to work on what you see in the mirror or what you see on the scale?

Because body comp changes over time can make you look smaller at a slightly higher weight. And 128 to 135 is not much more than normal fluctuations.
  • Schila64
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You look great.

You are just coming from an injury, correct? Give it time to get back into the swing of things and get your mojo and drive back.
    Yes. Rotator Cuff Surgery. I'm back at the gym lifting already with no problems.

• collectingblues
    Options
    You look great.

Was that a healthy and sustainable bodyfat for you? There is nothing wrong with leaning down but it can come with side effects if you stay there long term.

That's what I was wondering -- the BF in the second picture looks extremely lean, and considering that essential fat is 13-16 percent... it's very possible that the body doesn't *like* being competition-level lean for a sustained time.
  • collectingblues
    Options

How tall are you, and what is your current BF%? Even if you *want* to be 128, that may not be a reasonable goal for you, depending on your other stats.
  • Schila64
    Options

[/quote]

How tall are you, and what is your current BF%? Even if you *want* to be 128, that may not be a reasonable goal for you, depending on your other stats.[/quote]

I'm 5'5". I have notice that is hard for me to stay at 128.
  • Schila64
    Options
    You look great.

Was that a healthy and sustainable bodyfat for you?
    Sustainable??? Very hard

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look great.

Was that a healthy and sustainable bodyfat for you?
    Sustainable??? Very hard

Is there any benefit to staying that lean then? There is nothing wrong with getting lean for photoshoots, competitions, etc. But you get in then get out and go back to something sustainable. Still fit and lean, but not essential fat levels.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

But is the issue you want to work on what you see in the mirror or what you see on the scale?

Because body comp changes over time can make you look smaller at a slightly higher weight. And 128 to 135 is not much more than normal fluctuations.

Exactly. You look fantastic. 7lbs may not sounds like much, but I know when you are already as lean as you are that number can make a huge difference in your leanness. I don't think it hurts to drop a couple of pounds if you are uncomfortable (you may find you don't need to lose more than 1 or 2). Or you could just keep hitting it hard in the gym and letting your body reflect those changes over time.

But I think revisiting your diary from back then is a fabulous idea. I've done that myself before. I mean, you already have all those meals planned and logged, why not make it easy on yourself by re-creating them?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day and absolutely loved it. Food for thought.

"Those extra 5-10pounds, that place where your body naturally wants to be - that's your life. That's your late night pizza with your man, that Sunday morning bottomless brunch, your favorite cupcake in the whole entire world because you wanted to treat yourself. Those 5-10lbs are your favorite memories, your unforgettable trips, your celebrations of life.

Those extra 5-10 pounds are your spontaneity, your freedom, your love."

It looks like the person copied it from an IG called brandanfokk(something)
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is your diary open? I could use it ;)
  • Schila64
    Options

"Those extra 5-10pounds, that place where your body naturally wants to be - that's your life. That's your late night pizza with your man, that Sunday morning bottomless brunch, your favorite cupcake in the whole entire world because you wanted to treat yourself. Those 5-10lbs are your favorite memories, your unforgettable trips, your celebrations of life.

Thanks.... It sounds like the truth !!!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This isn't true for everyone, but it's certainly true for me. I'm about 7 pounds more than I was when I started maintaining. It wasn't what I thought would happen, but it's certainly the spot where it feels effortless to maintain and still allows me some spontaneous fun and celebrations.
  • Schila64
    Options
    DmaMfz wrote: »
    Is your diary open? I could use it ;)

It is... You can browse thru what I eat. ;)