Double up on weight lifting

Options
I been doing weight lifting for several months now. My arms/shoulders look good, my legs are awesome. As for my back I still have rolls back there, chest still needs work and for my abs well I know that will be the last thing to come.

My workout now is: Monday- Shoulders, Tuesday-Back, Wed-Chest, Thur- Bis & Tris Friday- Legs & butt. I do 3 round of 15- 20 reps. In between reps I will do some kind of cardio to get my heart rate up then some kind of abs workout.

My question is... Should I double up on my back and chest (problem area's) workout a week? Then pass on doing legs/shoulders/Bis & Tris?

I just not sure how to get better results in some area but also not letting the other areas go to *kitten*.

Any help would be appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use a program called Ladyboss. She pretty much tells me what to eat and what my workout's will be for the week. I will definitely check out your link to see what I can change up. Thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    3DCAKE wrote: »
    I use a program called Ladyboss. She pretty much tells me what to eat and what my workout's will be for the week. I will definitely check out your link to see what I can change up. Thanks

I couldn't see her workout plan on her website. Does it have you add weight once your reps start to feel easy?
  • 3DCAKE
    Options
    She said if you can make it 20 reps then you need to add weight that its way to easy. I will add between 5-10 pound to each rep.
  • 3DCAKE
    Options

This ^
    Also - If your problem areas are "rolls", that's going to be a fatloss issue, not a workout issue. [/quote]

I do eat pretty good. I think its just going to take time and I am just wanting to rush it. I am older now and things just don't want to go as fast as I want them to. lol
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34yr old male, so take that into consideration, but I can absolutely swear by: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ .

Losing weight at right around the 2lb/wk goal I set for myself (CICO is a real thing!) while increasing the weights of my workouts just about every week. Only been about 6 weeks and can definitely see the difference all around.

My problem areas, as with most overweight men, is lower back/love handles/belly. These are just going to be the last things that firm up as it is where my body chooses to store all those beers and cookies I've had over the years.
  • 3DCAKE
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You are going to get sub-optimum results just doing one body area a week as a beginner.
    And automatically making the weight less than max by doing cardio between sets.

She is going off a fad approach for her program - we wary.

You should review those programs in that link that are 3 x weekly full body.
    If you could squeeze 1 more day in there, you could do an upper/lower body split, still 3x weekly for max results.
    Then on the shorter days, do some extra easy cardio for heart health.

I'm going off what sounds like a desire to focus on strength training anyway, you didn't mention why you wanted to keep the HR high - for some it's about burning more calories, which means both the cardio and lifting is negatively impacted for best results. The old jack of all trades, master of none problem.

Yes higher HR to burn more calories (which I will be stopping). Good information to know! Thanks!
  • Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    for fat loss, i totally recommend binge listening to the www dot primalpotential dot com podcast. its been spot on for nutritional/mindset assistance.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You are going to get sub-optimum results just doing one body area a week as a beginner.
    And automatically making the weight less than max by doing cardio between sets.

She is going off a fad approach for her program - we wary.

You should review those programs in that link that are 3 x weekly full body.
    If you could squeeze 1 more day in there, you could do an upper/lower body split, still 3x weekly for max results.
    Then on the shorter days, do some extra easy cardio for heart health.

I'm going off what sounds like a desire to focus on strength training anyway, you didn't mention why you wanted to keep the HR high - for some it's about burning more calories, which means both the cardio and lifting is negatively impacted for best results. The old jack of all trades, master of none problem.

Yes higher HR to burn more calories (which I will be stopping). Good information to know! Thanks!

In that case - accept the fact that the lifting isn't a huge calorie burn (if using MFP method of eating more when doing more) so just add as Strength training.
    Then the cardio as you have time for it - if you really want to eat more hence burn more - do it as hard as you can for the time available.

Caveat - don't ruin prior day recovery or next day's workout by using wrong muscles to that level.

So on leg day, do your running/biking/elliptical at that high intensity. Then legs can recover the next day from lifting and intense cardio together.
    Since it's the recovery that actually allows body to make improvements, good to have that day.
    And not doing it the day before, keeps from getting legs tired such you don't have a good lifting session with legs.
  • 3DCAKE
    Options
    @heybales Got it..thanks again!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Starting Stonglift 5x5 today. See what happen in 12 weeks. :) Hope to have some before pic and after (if i look good) lol

I did Strong Lifts 5x5 and really enjoyed it. It is the only 'canned program' that I have ever followed. I would suggest that you download the app and use that. I never take my phone into the gym...but did when doing this program. I would also download the spread sheet to a computer | laptop and fill that in as well. Yes, redundant, but just the way I like to do things (I am a bit older...).

Just be aware that you will eventually come to a point where you simply can not maintain good form *AND* increase the weights on each exercise. Make sure to be very familiar with "what to do when I can not increase the weights" protocol that Mehdi has written into the program. And, make no mistake, it is exercise specific. So, if you - and please pardon what might suggest is sexist by going to bench, aka upper body exercise - reach a point with bench where there is no way you can increase the weight - as prescribed - and maintain proper form then you only follow that protocol (Plateaus | Failed Reps) on that specific exercise.

You are going to be eating a lot more than you might be used to eating. In other words, you will need to be a caloric surplus. This will not help you with the "back" issue that you mentioned. It might add to it.

I think that you will really like this program. It is very popular and I made some nice gains. ENJOY!
  • 3DCAKE
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Starting Stonglift 5x5 today. See what happen in 12 weeks. :) Hope to have some before pic and after (if i look good) lol

I did Strong Lifts 5x5 and really enjoyed it. It is the only 'canned program' that I have ever followed. I would suggest that you download the app and use that. I never take my phone into the gym...but did when doing this program. I would also download the spread sheet to a computer | laptop and fill that in as well. Yes, redundant, but just the way I like to do things (I am a bit older...).

Just be aware that you will eventually come to a point where you simply can not maintain good form *AND* increase the weights on each exercise. Make sure to be very familiar with "what to do when I can not increase the weights" protocol that Mehdi has written into the program. And, make no mistake, it is exercise specific. So, if you - and please pardon what might suggest is sexist by going to bench, aka upper body exercise - reach a point with bench where there is no way you can increase the weight - as prescribed - and maintain proper form then you only follow that protocol (Plateaus | Failed Reps) on that specific exercise.

You are going to be eating a lot more than you might be used to eating. In other words, you will need to be a caloric surplus. This will not help you with the "back" issue that you mentioned. It might add to it.

I think that you will really like this program. It is very popular and I made some nice gains. ENJOY!

Thanks!
    Yes I have have the app on my phone and read his email everyday. I been workout a long time just needed a change of what I was doing. :)
  • 3DCAKE
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

SL 5x5 can be done in a deficit. It means a plateau will happen sooner but it doesn't need to be a surplus.

OP, I am in total agreement with heybales and others. The rolls will go away with fat loss. I do low impact cardio, ie. walking every day and that helps but as you get leaner, the fat loss is slower. Lift for fitness and body shape. Calorie deficit for fat loss. And patience. The results are less dramatic as you get closer to your goal.

On my days I lift I run my dog for like 15 min. On my off days I will be doing some kind of cardio (bike or HIIT running). I do need that patience. I am older and it doesn't come off as fast as I want it to.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

SL 5x5 can be done in a deficit. It means a plateau will happen sooner but it doesn't need to be a surplus.

OP, I am in total agreement with heybales and others. The rolls will go away with fat loss. I do low impact cardio, ie. walking every day and that helps but as you get leaner, the fat loss is slower. Lift for fitness and body shape. Calorie deficit for fat loss. And patience. The results are less dramatic as you get closer to your goal.

On my days I lift I run my dog for like 15 min. On my off days I will be doing some kind of cardio (bike or HIIT running). I do need that patience. I am older and it doesn't come off as fast as I want it to.

Tell me about it! 67 here. But have managed to drop 33lbs over the last few years. The key is diet for fat loss. The rest is for health and so you'll like your leaner body shape.