Bingeing and sugar attacks

Options
Hey y'all!! Looking for some great ideas for fighting binge eating and sugar cravings.

Back story: I'm pretty active and go to the gym religiously. However, when I get off track with eating habbits....let me tell ya...it's bad. I'm pretty much the short chick that could out eat any full grown man.
I recently spent a month with a nutritionist which worked great but I don't have $ to be spending on that every month to keep myself in check. I would say sugar is my largest hurdle. If I go about a week without it I'm good but it's the starting out that's the problem. The other problem, I won't buy it but I live with people that condone it. So that makes it much harder. I need a little encouragement to get over the hump. Any tricks and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucy

Replies

• williamwj2017
    williamwj2017 Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Probably try cutting it out slowly rather than just cold Turkey. As for the other people in your household...dont even focus on what they eat. You have the power to say no. Just focus on your goals and remind yourself how certain foods take you away from those goals
  • sillypandas
    sillypandas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sugar is difficult for me too, especially being the only one in the house dieting. Theres always ice cream and hostess cupcakes and things of the sort. I try to keep fresh fruit around, and when everyone is dishing up a big bowl of ice cream i'll make a fruit/yogurt/granola parfait. Also, i like to make a delicious little treat. You mix low fat cream cheese, some sweetener, and coconut extract together, put little globs of it on a wax papered cookie sheet, and then freeze them. Its like a delicious little melt in your mouth cheesecake, which happens to be a weakness of mine. And if youre into or not against meal replacement/protein shakes - those always do wonders for me in the craving sweets area, the dark chocolate royale flavor slimfast shake tastes great. I take one to work with me (i work the grave shift and its REALLY hard to not sit and snack all night) and in having one at work it keeps me away from the boxes of donuts my co workers tend to bring in because it tastes like a rich chocolate milkshake, thus making me feel like ive really fed my sweet tooth.
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Sugar is my nemesis. Once I start, I have no self control. But I also have 3 kids and a husband who like their treats, and do much better with moderation than me. A few things that have worked for me are:
    • Whey based protein shakes make good treats
    • Don't eat sweets at home - I may get an ice cream if we go out, but only if I've saved enough calories
    • If I do eat sweets at home, portion out what I'm going to eat and NO SECOND HELPINGS (still struggle with this from time to time)
    • If I still need something sweet, eat some fruit

Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think your largest hurdle is thinking sugar is your largest hurdle. Your body needs sugar; if it doesn't get it, it makes it. Ever heard of blood sugar? That's it.

Do you really get cravings for sugar? Or is it a desire for something tasty, something sweet?

Making something off-limits intensifies our desire for it. When that something is all around us, free for taking, you won't have any resistance. Feeling out of control will make you think you're weak and that the thing is addictive. Eating soothes emotions temporarily.

Many of us have an excess appetite. That doesn't mean we should eat all we can all the time.

You can and must keep yourself in check. Temptations will always be around. You will always want good taste.
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have found that I need substitutions. I found recipes for brownies made with black beans (DELICIOUS, by the way) or, I make desserts made with more naturally absorbed sugars (like honey or agave) and desserts made with fresh fruit. Pinterest has lots of good low calorie, low carb and even no sugar desserts. Also, smoothies made sweet or chocolatey with unsweetened cocoa powder. Pinterest also has amazing recipes for those too. 😊 Hope this helps.