Blueberry recipes?

lunarkt
lunarkt Posts: 4 Member
Hey all, it's still blueberry season and I recently just got some blueberries from the farmers market (gonna probably get more next month). My father and I are trying to figure out some good recipes to use them for. One issue we have is that my father is diabetic and sugar substitutes bother my stomach. I was wondering if any of you know some recipes we could try? We've already done pancakes and muffins and I prefer to not do any canning. Thank you!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
  • lunarkt
    edited July 2018
    It's a start, thank you for the link. I'll take a look. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've done Danish Blueberries (after a recipe in the Moosewood cookbook for Danish Cherries; I was a few weeks early for cherry season and decided to substitute). This works with fresh or frozen. Contains some sugar, but not a whole heck of a lot and has the consistency of pie filling:

1.50 tbsp(s), Cornstarch
    3 tbsp(s), Sugar
    0.25 cup(s), 100% Lemon Juice
    0.50 tsp(s), Zest

0.75 tsp, Pure Almond Extract
    448 gram, Frozen Canadian Wild Blueberries (TW) or 4 cups fresh
    55 g (1/2 cup) Slivered Almonds

Place fruit in a heavy medium-sized saucepan and cook over medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes

Meanwhile combine cornstarch and sugar in small bowl. Add lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Stir into hot blueberries and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick (cookbook says 5-8 minutes; it may be faster).

Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind, almond extract, and slivered almonds.

Serve hot, cold, or at room temp. Optional: top with whipped cream, whipped ricotta, or plain yogurt with some slivered almonds folded in.

Also blueberry mini scones:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/low-fat-low-calorie-blueberry-scones-2245755
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I used to have a great blueberry recipes book from Maine (I would declare blueberries as an essential food group just themselves if I could, LOL). It seems to have gone missing. One of my unusual favorites was a blueberry relish for baked salmon, etc., that didn't have added sugars.

So I googled "blueberry relish" and got this: https://www.blueberrycouncil.org/blueberry-recipe/grilled-chicken-blueberry-relish/

This is somewhat approx to the relish I remember. they're adding some blueberry preserves, which DO contain sugar. The relish I remember didn't have any and it did have some onion.

Something else in the relish-chutney vein: https://www.thedevilwearsparsley.com/2012/12/12/blueberry-onion-compote/

These two look interesting to try, at least by their ingredients. I'm going to have to get some blueberries and see.

Good luck to you. no sugar and no sugar substitute - interesting double restriction for blueberry dishes which tend towards the sweeter end of the spectrum. These aren't really "canning" either ... seems as if any leftover would be fridge-stable for a short time only.
  • lunarkt
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I used to have a great blueberry recipes book from Maine (I would declare blueberries as an essential food group just themselves if I could, LOL). It seems to have gone missing. One of my unusual favorites was a blueberry relish for baked salmon, etc., that didn't have added sugars.

So I googled "blueberry relish" and got this: https://www.blueberrycouncil.org/blueberry-recipe/grilled-chicken-blueberry-relish/

This is somewhat approx to the relish I remember. they're adding some blueberry preserves, which DO contain sugar. The relish I remember didn't have any and it did have some onion.

Something else in the relish-chutney vein: https://www.thedevilwearsparsley.com/2012/12/12/blueberry-onion-compote/

These two look interesting to try, at least by their ingredients. I'm going to have to get some blueberries and see.

Good luck to you. no sugar and no sugar substitute - interesting double restriction for blueberry dishes which tend towards the sweeter end of the spectrum. These aren't really "canning" either ... seems as if any leftover would be fridge-stable for a short time only.

Ooo, the relish one sounds good, I might give that a try. Some sugar is fine but can't be too much or make it overly sweet (so like, for example, I can't bake a pie).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Not a recipe but when blueberries are in season I eat a bowl of blueberries with a dollop of whipped cream pretty much every day...
  • lunarkt
    edited July 2018
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Take a blueberry between your thumb and pointer finger, place those fingers in your mouth, release blueberry. Really good.

Really? I've tried that but I taste more finger than blueberry. Maybe I've been doing it wrong.
    (In all honestly, we have been eating them straight up too. I love how you put it though.)
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    I mix them in with yogurt....add them to sf pudding for a sweet treat....add them to smoothies....
  • 54Thumper
    54Thumper Posts: 3 Member
    I like to freeze some for later. You can make ice creamish snacks from keto fat bomb recipes. We like a clafoutis only sub the blueberries for the cherries (it’s called something else because it’s no longer cherry, but it taste great). We also make a large batch of this and freeze personal portions for a quick meal. Just reheat for 20-30 minutes. By the way you can freeze your muffins the same way and enjoy them later. We like to bake things like this ahead and eat a muffin or two thawed with a slab of cheese on a hot day to avoid heating the house or us any further. One more idea, freeze bananas sans skin in chunks and once frozen using a food processor, blender, or champion type juicer blend the frozen bananas and blueberries together to make ice cream. If that’s too much sweet, frozen blueberries mixed without the banana makes something like sherbet.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    I made some oatmeal bars yesterday with blueberries:

4 small-ish bananas
    2 cups old-fashioned oats
    1 cup blueberries
    1 apple
    45 grams dark chocolate chips
    chopped walnuts (I don't remember the measurement)

Moosh up the bananas and mix everything into it. Press into a greased pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes

And today I had a smoothie made of blueberries, strawberries, banana, and spinach.

Frozen blueberries are good for snacking on.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Clafoutis is classically made with cherries (pitted or unpitted) or stone fruit (peaches, prunes, nectarines) but I am sure blueberries would work well.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/aug/29/how-to-cook-perfect-cherry-clafoutis
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    Can't help. For me, blueberry season is all about pies, cobbler, buckle, and muffins. I don't eat them any other time of the year so I make sure to get my fill in July.

Edited to add - I also second freezing the berries. Put them on a sheet tray, throw in the freezer, and then bag when frozen. They keep really well and can be used for all baked and cooked applications.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Love them with Greek yogurt