Help fer building upper body weight

Options
Quick backstory: I was always in AMAZING shape until the pregnancy of my 3rd child. Many problems meant doctor told me to eat EVERY time I was hungry to help baby grow, and ceased my exercising. Went into labor, baby died during labor and my torso was pretty banged up during the delivery due to the interventions they were trying to do... (she's in heaven, I will meet her one day. I'm just writing the story because I am embarrassed about where I have come to and I am "justifying" the reasons that led to it).
Due to eating tons of calories with bed rest, and not knowing what was pregnancy weight gain (fluids/baby) and calories - well, it was a lot of calories - I gained tons. Sadenss and physical recovery meant I didn't pick up routines again until 6 months later. But 3 months after that, I was pregnant again - eat/no exercise. Baby born healthy.
But now he is over a year. I was only 140 pounds when I first got pregant with the "real" number 3, but now I am 200 pounds. I've also had several injuries - including a starined chest muscle.
So it all comes down to this: I've never had to gain muscle/loose weight from a point of being so not fit. Push ups are impossible (sadness). Even modified push -ups, my back still struggles not bowing. So I think I need to start a different way with starting to build all those muscles more individually. What individual exercises may help me build some base strength? I know a few things, like maybe lifting dumb bells in different directions and up over my head for triceps... but what else? In my past I just did lots of plank variations, push ups, tricep dips, etc - full body stuff - but I am TOO all around weak right now...

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Plank variations are great, on your hands as well as on your forearms. If pushups are too difficult, you can do dumbbell chest presses and pec flys, modified pushups(either on knees or with upper body raised on a bench), etc. If you think of the 5 main lifts used in a traditional lifting program(bench, squats, deadlifts, OHP, rows) you can do all of those with dumbbells or body weight only to start. Kettlebells are good for lighter deadlifts. Something like yoga, Pilates, or PiYo might also be helpful. Good luck. Don't be too hard on yourself. Baby steps.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You may want to get checked for Diastasis Recti before starting working out. Corrective exercises to help the abs recover would be needed before you look at other routines.

Cheers, h.

There are some good bodyweight and dumbbell routines at the beginning of this thread that will give you some structure, or look at HasFit for a simple beginners routine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Like others said, baby steps. Start doing push-ups off of a wall. Then move to a staircase. Go one stair lower over time.
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You may want to get checked for Diastasis Recti before starting working out. Corrective exercises to help the abs recover would be needed before you look at other routines.

Cheers, h.

There are some good bodyweight and dumbbell routines at the beginning of this thread that will give you some structure, or look at HasFit for a simple beginners routine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    This. I have seen some very fit mums - one a biggest loser trainer here in Australia, who were able to do everything thing right, and still had issues with injuries. They advise seeing a physio who understands post natal issues. And even they started back very easy. You can do it, but it will take time. Also losing weight (exercise not needed) may take pressure of you joints, then make exercise easier.

Take it easy and be kind to yourself. Slow progress is still progress.
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will talk to a doctor about the possible diastasis recti - especially since my core is SO weak. And I LOVE the suggestions of push ups against a wall and then, later, with the upper body higher than the where my knees/feet are postioned, as well as the ideas to use dumbells to do chest presses and chest flies. Thank you!