Steps tracker? (Not fitbit).

Not sure if this the right section but I'll try here first. I am Diabetic looking for recommendations for a new tracker to keep check of my daily steps, etc. Not Fitbit. I have had four Fitbits (one was a free replacement when it fell to bits and another a 50% off voucher when the replacement started to go the same way). I have also chucked my Fitbit Aria scales in the bin and gone back to an old but reliable set of bathroom scales. Have a Fitbit Charge 2 at the moment which is working and not yet falling apart but I am looking for a more reliable and longer lasting device.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Do you have a smartphone? Most have the ability to track steps with an app (which are often free). It'll probably be more durable, and you could spend the money that you would have spent on the tracker on a nice arm strap to hold your phone.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I have a Garmin I'm happy with.
  • hodginx7
    hodginx7 Posts: 5 Member
    I had similar issues with Fitbit breaking often. I've had my Garmin Vivosmart hr twice as long as any Fitbit and it's still working wonders!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited July 2018
    Another vote for Garmin. I've owned Fitbits, owned an Apple Watch, and like my Garmin 935 better than any of them.

Go to dcrainmaker.com and read his product reviews for any device you're interested in - he does the best, most thorough reviews in the industry.
  • David_S_Hawkins
    David_S_Hawkins Posts: 5 Member
    Funny thing, I came to a Fitbit Ionic because my Apple Watch broke 3 times. I have been VERY happy with the IONIC because it has a stainless steel housing, or maybe it's aluminum, I don't know. But it is VERY tough. I am hard on my equipment and I have been quite impressed. The version of the product you buy has a huge impact on the durability. The lower end models will fall apart, and this will be true for Garmin, and most other trackers as well.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    I have had 3 fitbits, Surge (cr@p, had 3 of those), Blaze (loved it) and now have the Alta and love that too. Apart from the Surge which I think was an all round pain in the butt I've been lucky with my Fitbits.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I use my I-phone, and have an app for the conversion for steps etc. As a diabetic I have found it works well for me. Good Luck. Have a fitbit on wish list for xmas. Reading this post gives me pause though.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have a Vivofit2 (Garmin). I'm really happy with it. I've had it around 3 years.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if you just want a step tracker your phone might have the capability or a vivofit might be basic enough for what you need.

check out dc rainmakers reviews and find what meets your needs :smile:
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I've had 3 fitbits a flex(which is still going strong) charge her(band broke) and now a Alta hr which seems like I have to do a reset on monthly,I'm starting to wonder if they're making them lower quality to force us into buying the more pricey models? :|
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Do you have a smartphone? Most have the ability to track steps with an app (which are often free). It'll probably be more durable, and you could spend the money that you would have spent on the tracker on a nice arm strap to hold your phone.

Not sure how much you carry your phone, but my phone typically has 3000-4000 steps per day less than my fitness tracker because I don't carry it with me all the time when i around my office.

I am very happy with garmin (vivoactive 2).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I would go with a Garmin product. I currently have a charge 2 and I've had it less than a year and it's already starting to do weird things. I'll be upgrading in the fall.
  • ryno23nv
    ryno23nv Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2018
    I had the Fitbit Ionic and didn't care for the gps tracking because you had to have your phone with you. I returned it and got a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Extremely pleased with the accuracy of the watch and the options. You don't need to have your phone to track your walks, swims, or runs. And you have several watch face options. Its about the same price.