New to Keto

Options
Hello all! Today is my first day of Keto and although I might be already experiencing the Keto Flu, I’m excited to see results. Feel free to add me if you are also doing a Keto diet and would be interested in sharing food diaries! :)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Good luck! Consider joining the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups for more info and support. They're a good bunch.

Keep in mind that keto flu is only an electrolyte imbalance from lost water and sodium due to lower carb intake. You'll need to take at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day to replace what you lose and avoid symptoms like headache, fatigue, brain fog, moodiness, stomach and BM issues, and muscle weakness. Try a couple of cups of salty boullion, pickle juice or a teaspoon of salt. 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the pickle juice..Contains a ton of sodium and no real electroytes..you will get more dehydrated
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    wozzy38 wrote: »
    Be careful with the pickle juice..Contains a ton of sodium and no real electroytes..you will get more dehydrated

That's not really how it works when electrolytes go low. If you increase electrolytes (sodium) it will help you to hold onto water better. That's why athletes exercising in hot weather take extra electrolytes - it helps you stay hydrated. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Today is my first day of Keto and although I might be already experiencing the Keto Flu, I’m excited to see results. Feel free to add me if you are also doing a Keto diet and would be interested in sharing food diaries! :)

What results would those be?
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

What results would those be?

Losing weight of course lol. Sleeping better and having more energy throughout the day!

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    wozzy38 wrote: »

Actually a lot of the time if you are dehydrated your electrolytes will be elevated on your bloodwork