Are carbs really the enemy?

So I just wanted to hear how other people view carbs. I know that they are in pretty much every single food like your fruit and veg and in dairy etc, which is why keto diets exist to find the foods that have the lowest carb contents. However, I do also think they are useful for giving you energy and keeping you full. Are they really the enemy and should we really be avoiding them? Keen to hear other people’s thoughts

Replies

• jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Eat ALL the carbs! Hahaha. Carbs are delicious AND they’re wonderful for energy.

The only time I avoid rice/bread/pasta is when I’m on the verge of a weight goal and don’t want to be held up for a week with water weight. But that’s just because I retain water really easily. But I DONT avoid them for actual weight loss purposes.

I love carbs so much. And they haven’t hindered my progress.

We are the same person! I'm trying to meet a goal tomorrow, so that english muffin at work will not go in my tummy today, next week however, it's on, with zero guilt!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Are they really the enemy and should we really be avoiding them?

No.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Eat ALL the carbs! Hahaha. Carbs are delicious AND they’re wonderful for energy.

The only time I avoid rice/bread/pasta is when I’m on the verge of a weight goal and don’t want to be held up for a week with water weight. But that’s just because I retain water really easily. But I DONT avoid them for actual weight loss purposes.

I love carbs so much. And they haven’t hindered my progress.

We are the same person! I'm trying to meet a goal tomorrow, so that english muffin at work will not go in my tummy today, next week however, it's on, with zero guilt!

Love it! There’s a goal I’m hoping to see by the 7th. It’s my final mini weight goal before I actually hit “GOAL” so this week I’m all meat, cheese and veg, but next week I’m going to be stuffing rice, pizza and bagels into my face like RAAAAAAAWR!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    No, carbs are not the enemy. Do not demonize any foods. The body needs carbs, fats and protein and it is not healthy to avoid any of them. The key is moderation and ratio. Keep your macros balanced and it will fall into place. That said there are carbs that offer far more nutritional value than others, so you want to make sure you are getting nutrient dense food to get the most bank for your buck.
    80/20 rule works well, so that you don't get that feeling of depravation and can still enjoy those "treats" without the guilt.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I love fruit and veggies. Carbs are a huge part of my diet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    It goes to show the power of media. Carbs are nothing to be feared, the fear started because in the media, that's how they portray carbs. My mom was watching Rachel Ray the other day and it annoyed me that she kept saying "Oh this is a very healthy meal because how low the carbs are in this recipe"....I cringed when I heard that. Just because a meal has low carb, doesn't mean nothing. It is very rare for me to hear on tv or in magazine that you need to eat less calories than you burn. Very rare, it actually surprises me when I hear it on rare occasions.

As long as you don't have health issues requiring you to limit carbs, in the end, it's all about being in a caloric deficit. I have done 5 years of bulking and cutting and my diet has always been high carbs to the point I have to force myself to hit my minimum of fats. Nonetheless, I have always managed to lose the weight I wanted when cutting and I've gained the weight I wanted when bulking.

The fear of carbs is just exaggerated and it doesn't help that there's this keto fad going on where you have snake oil salesmen putting more useless fear in people on the dangers of carbs.

I signed up for one of those monthly meal prep services (basically you do all your cooking for the month in a weekend to freeze it) - they had tons of low carb recipes (labelled as such) but when I asked if they intended to do the same with lower-fat...I got told it was too hard for them...I cancelled my subscription I day later
This discussion has been closed.