Does anyone has have a "No liquid calories" rule?

Options
I have been on MFP for a few months now and lost a good amount of weight, though I have an even longer history with morbid obesity (close to 500 lbs a few yrs ago) and one of the simplest steps I have made to any weight loss plan is that I would not "drink" any calories. To me, diet pop is just as satisfying as regular, real ice cream is more satisfying than a milk shake, real fruit is FAR more filling than fruit juice, and I would rather eat a couple candy bars than have a "Frappucino" any day of the week. To me, not drinking any of my calories allows me to eat that much more actual food, which in turn keeps me fuller and more energetic. There are some exceptions, such as skim milk in cereal, the occasional on-clearance protein shakes, etc, but to me one of the simplest steps ANYONE can take to remove excess calories in their diet is to remove the liquid calorie component. Does anyone else have this "rule" and how has it worked for them?

P.S. This rule also helps if you are an alcoholic, LOL :)

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    lol yeah... i never really drank pop or anything like that.. just alot of juice... now i just stick to water&protein shakes.. everything else tastes like a can of sugar to me n its gross
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A good rule that worked for me. I used to drink mass quantities of juice, smoothies and some soda.
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am the same way.
  • kportelli70
    Options
    I am a strictly water and skim milk girl. Once in a while (2 x a month at the most) I'll have a couple glasses of red wine. I have never been a pop or beer drinker. O wait....I do drink 1 cup of coffee each morning too. ;)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't drink calories, unless it's protein.
  • etaven
    etaven Posts: 25
    Options
    I tend to do this, too. On occasion, as a treat, I'll drink something like juice or once in a while a soda. But I agree-- I found it the easiest thing to cut out of my diet.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do, I drink water, coffee and Diet Tea or crystal light I think its a waste drinking something with calories and I dont like real sugar at all! My first choice is water my second is Diet Pepsi .
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wish, but I've got to have a milkshake from time to time.

In fact, I'm thinking this might be the time, lol. :drinker:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I try and do this but it never works for me, haha! I can absolutely avoid any kind of soda but diet. But when it comes to things from Starbucks or alcoholic drinks, I just can't ban them completely.

I generally save Starbucks as a ONCE a week treat. This lets me look forward to it for days at a time, and I plan those calories into my day, even if I need to exercise more to earn them.

Alcohol, I don't drink a lot of, but I'll allow myself a drink every once in a while. (Probably closer to 2 or 3 times a month.) Beer (GOOD beer) is just too delicious!
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I NEVER drink calories!! I've been this way for years. I love diet dr pepper and water!! I just think its wasting calories!!!!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I do put skimmed milk in tea/coffee but other than diet soda I don't drink calorific drinks (and I only include them coz they do have a few calories). Would much rather 'eat' calories than drink 'em!

Oh. Ok, apart from alcohol. But it's a rarity, and when I do, as drink as 'cheaply' as I can with clear spririts and diet coke/soda.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm a water kind of girl. The only "liquid calories" I drink are coffee with creamer. Iced tea does funy things to me and I can't stand the taste of soda anymore (which is odd, since that was all I used to drink).
  • carocarito
    Options
    I have been doing this for a long time, unsweetened iced tea, unsweetened black coffee, no soda, not even diet, once in a while a ginger ale, a glass of juice, wine, or some type of alcohol, but not even a weekly thing, because I see that as a splurge, like you said, I would much rather chew my calories, in the form or a cookie or a cupcake!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Once a week I have a Bubble tea and Fruitista, but it's water and Diet Pepsi for me most of the time.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The only calories I drink is a cup of coffee in the morining with 1 tsp sugar. After that it's lemon water all day, every day.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Mostly I drink water and herbal tea (with no sweetener) but I'd make myself miserable if I couldn't partake of a Bloody Mary, glass or wine or bourbon and ginger from time to time!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not crazy! :D So many of my friends who are also trying to lose weight and/or maintain a healthy lifestyle continue to drink regular soda, wine, starbucks, etc on a daily basis, and will do so at the expense of eating less. I guess if its a personal choice and u can work it into your own diet plan that's fine, it just seems so counterproductive. And Eurodriver I can relate, the couple of times that I have accidentally tasted whole milk and/or regular soda in the last few months, I found them simply disgusting at this point.
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not super legalistic about it, but in general the only liquid cals come from skim milk. It not only helps my waist line, but my wallet too. Haha. I'm sure happy hour is less "happy" though. ;- )
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it that way but I do not drink my calories either.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Mostly I drink water and herbal tea (with no sweetener) but I'd make myself miserable if I couldn't partake of a Bloody Mary, glass or wine or bourbon and ginger from time to time!

Oh great, now I want a bloody mary - how long until lunch, lol