Are carbs really the enemy?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So I just wanted to hear how other people view carbs. I know that they are in pretty much every single food like your fruit and veg and in dairy etc, which is why keto diets exist to find the foods that have the lowest carb contents. However, I do also think they are useful for giving you energy and keeping you full. Are they really the enemy and should we really be avoiding them? Keen to hear other people’s thoughts

No...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    So I just wanted to hear how other people view carbs. I know that they are in pretty much every single food like your fruit and veg and in dairy etc, which is why keto diets exist to find the foods that have the lowest carb contents. However, I do also think they are useful for giving you energy and keeping you full. Are they really the enemy and should we really be avoiding them? Keen to hear other people’s thoughts

The only time I cut carbs is when I'm cutting and need to balance my macros with adequate fat and high protein. In that instance, I tend to lower carbs based on total calories rather than whether or not they are bad. For instance if I'm cutting at a higher rate I try to keep an average of about .8-1g/lb of target body weight, and if that means that I need to cut carbs down to stay under my calorie goal and keep my fat levels high enough then so be it. I don't truly believe that makes me lose more fat, only calorie deficit does that. But, carbs are the first place I cut because they are less important to me than adequate fat or protein. /shrug

As far as a keto diet, you probably should consult your doctor before going on one. As it has been mentioned, they are designed for specific medical reasons. For people who have medical reasons to be on a keto diet it has been noticed that it helps them burn fat a little quicker. Doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, and it doesn't mean it won't cause you health problems down the road. The only people I know personally who use keto for weight loss generally lose the weight they want then after going off the keto diet gain it all back in less time than it took to lose it in the first place. To me that doesn't make much sense.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The article quoted above is interesting. insufficient amylase causing reduced carb digestion therefore being over weight, thought provoking. Thank you.

eta, its not uncommon for the body to work less well as we age. Getting older could be the enemy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Your understanding of the driving force behind trends that you are seeing is woefully narrow minded. Ketogenic diets have been used for decades to treat various medical conditions - originally to help with epilepsy, more recently (again for decades) to help those with insulin related illnesses manage their conditions. It can be very helpful for those with a legitimate reason to reduce or minimize carb intake. It’s become a fad diet more recently because of the prevalence of overblown statements in the media sensationalizing and fear mongering and appealing to people who just want to grab onto the latest click bait headline and being seduced by colorful infographics.

For those choosing a ketogenic diet for weight loss, they have a tendency to lose a higher amount of initial water weight which levels off and there is no long term metabolic advantage for weight loss for keto compared to any other diet with calorie restrictions. Some people find the foods satiating and enjoy eating a high fat diet, this may help with adherence to the diet where other approaches were not sustainable.

In general, any article, blog post, book etc that uses buzz words like “carbs are the enemy” should be widely dismissed. They are marketing to people who aren’t knowledgeable enough to understand the true scientific principles behind weight loss and who are looking for quick fixes. By running here to start a discussion thread to see what others think about this topic demonstrates your inability to think critically, vet sources, and wade through misinformation for yourself. Stop looking at instagram and go to google scholar. Read peer reviewed journal articles instead of the daily mail.
    Or... use the search feature here and read some of the hundreds of debates on this topic that already exist in these forums rather than starting your own individual thread.

That's it exactly. I agree with the bolded. The low carb bandwagon is overloaded with people jumping on board to sell something.

Low carb can be really helpful to some, but things are starting to go the same way that low fat went. Processed low carb foods, basically the LCHF equivalent of Snackwells, are starting to pop up all over which is missing part of the point when it comes to LCHF for better health, or taking advantage of the possible appetite suppression.... Don't go buying LCHF snack foods when trying to cut back on snacking.

I'm a celiac. When the Gluten-free craze hit I was at first pleased because it made my life a bit simpler, but those GF substitute foods are generally inferior products (nutritionally and to the wallet) than those foods that are naturally GF.

I feel the same way about LCHF. At first it made my life simpler that people understood it. Now people want to feed my low carb substitutes of stuff like bread and desserts. Just like the GF stuff, it's less healthy and doesn't really help with weight management either. People seem to forget that food can be naturally low carb and gimmicks aren't needed.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I think carb rich foods are perfectly fine and delicious to eat but they're filler - extra calories. If you're over fat carbs are where you cut back.

This is what I was taught at home about health and nutrition growing up (before seemingly everyone was fat and sick) and I've found it all to be true:

Whole foods are healthful.
    Meat/animal products and vegetables are the nutritious parts of the meal.
    Bread, grains and starches are filler foods - if calories need to be reduced this is where you cut down.
    Sugar should be limited - if calories need to be reduced this is what you cut out.
    Don't snack.
    Be active.
    Go outside. Fresh air and sunshine are necessary for good health.
    Go to bed.

Exactly.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and in support of that, we both took a nutrition course with a dietician. I've also done a lot of other research. Carbs are not the enemy, but all the carbs you take in change to sugar in your body. Now that sugar is what gives you energy, and is necessary. But some carbs are better than others, will spike your blood sugar (even if you don't have diabetes) which is not a good thing. But if you eat too few, your liver will kick in and release a bunch glucose into your system, and that isn't good. You want to avoid starchy carbs like pasta and white bread, and potatoes and replace those with healthy carbs like salads and broccoli, cauliflower and tomatoes. There are carbs that are OK in moderation like whole wheat pasta, and bread, brown rice, corn, peas, etc. So to cut carbs out of your diet is just not a good idea.

But I think another important part is portion control. When you buy something to eat, look at what constitutes a portion size. It's a lot smaller than you think! A serving of meat is between 2 and 4 oz. A serving size of vegetables can be 1/3 of a cup to a full cup. This is why you need to pay attention and read labels. A serving size of salad dressing is one or two tablespoons. A serving size of peanut butter is 1 TBSP.

And sugars - have you ever looked at the sugars in a box of cereal? You think you are eating healthy and you aren't. Milk is high in sugars. And Starbucks drinks like frappachinos? Don't even think about it.

So no, I don't think carbs are the enemy, but I think you need to pay attention to them. For a woman 30-45 per meal.

Do some research.

The body needs somewhere between 40-150 g of glucose a day for the organs that need glucose (red blood cells, the brain). That number is at the lower end over time if you consistently eat fewer carbs.

The liver producing glucose, through gluconeogenesis, is not really a bad thing at all. If it didn't, people would need to wake up and eat a few times during the night, and fasting of any sort would be impossible. You want your liver to kick in and make glucose when it is needed. I can safely eat very low carb (to reverse my IR) because of that process. KWIM?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Keto diets exist because it was believed that low carb could help control certain medical conditions (and it can do). They do not exist to find foods that have low carb content. Their goal is low carb, not their purpose. I'm beginning to see why there are so many miscommunications and misunderstanding happening.

Carbs are not the enemy for healthy individuals. There are many ways in which carbs can be part of a healthy balanced diet.

Yes, this. Conflating popular applications of a particular diet with the reason such a diet exists, is what I meant when I said there was a narrow minded ignorance at play here. When individuals base all of their conclusions upon what they've read in mainstream media and how it might impact them and only them - then by definition it is narrow minded. It mitigates the ability to broadly weigh pros and cons and evaluate big picture scenarios if everything is only viewed through a personal lens; and then the comments are also perceived as being sweeping recommendations when it is likely just an egocentric comment.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think carb rich foods are perfectly fine and delicious to eat but they're filler - extra calories. If you're over fat carbs are where you cut back.

This is what I was taught at home about health and nutrition growing up (before seemingly everyone was fat and sick) and I've found it all to be true:

Bread, grains and starches are filler foods - if calories need to be reduced this is where you cut down.
    Sugar should be limited - if calories need to be reduced this is what you cut out.
    Don't snack.
    Be active.
    Go to bed.

It's hard for me to consider filling (for me) and nutrient-rich foods like black beans, butternut squash, peas, and blueberries to be "filler." They're all rich in carbohydrates.

Can you eat too much of them? Absolutely. But you can also eat too much of foods that are rich in fat or protein.

Whole foods are healthful so I'm sure other cultures and communities have different patterns of eating that keep them nourished and healthy. I grew up with a meat based diet and that's what I'm familiar with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Don't snack.
    Be active.
    Go to bed.

It's hard for me to consider filling (for me) and nutrient-rich foods like black beans, butternut squash, peas, and blueberries to be "filler." They're all rich in carbohydrates.

Can you eat too much of them? Absolutely. But you can also eat too much of foods that are rich in fat or protein.

Whole foods are healthful so I'm sure other cultures and communities have different patterns of eating that keep them nourished and healthy. I grew up with a meat based diet and that's what I'm familiar with.

I also grew up with a diet where every meal was centered on meat (or other animal proteins such as eggs). Even in cultures that enjoy meat and eat it frequently, there are often carbohydrate-rich foods that are recognized as having more to offer than "filler" and extra calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

But I think another important part is portion control. When you buy something to eat, look at what constitutes a portion size. It's a lot smaller than you think! A serving of meat is between 2 and 4 oz. A serving size of vegetables can be 1/3 of a cup to a full cup. This is why you need to pay attention and read labels. A serving size of salad dressing is one or two tablespoons. A serving size of peanut butter is 1 TBSP.

A portion size can be whatever fits your goals though. If you eat 4 oz of chicken and get 25 g of protein but your goal is 70 g of protein those small amounts are not meeting your needs and it could be fine to eat a larger portion.
    Someone who has a 1200 calorie goal is not going to have the same portion sizes as someone with a 2200 calorie goal. Someone with a higher calorie goal might be fine with 32 g of peanut butter on a sandwich instead of 16 g.

This discussion has been closed.