How much protein, really?

Options
jrose1982
jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
I keep finding guidance to eat 0.36g protein per lb of weight. I weigh 250 lbs, so I need 90g protein.

The problem is that I can never eat that much protein. I’m always around 50-60g per day.

Consider today for example:
2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon with breakfast; a chicken leg (thigh and drumstick) with lunch. Add the small bits of protein from a salad, veggies, and hummus and that comes to 53g.
Eggs, bacon, chicken... that is plenty of meat for one day.

I’ve eaten about 1200 calories and I’m not hungry. The math says I need about 30-40 g more, and I can’t imagine how I could possibly eat that much.

My target weight is around 150. So that would be 54g, exactly what I’m eating. Am I interpreting the guidance wrong? Should I be using my target weight instead of my current weight?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    protein shakes would be the easiest option.

opening your diary would enable people to give better ideas.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You definitely need more protein, especially in a deficit. You want to give your body the best opportunity to hold on to muscle as you diet (adding resistance training will help too)

You could add extra egg whites to your eggs (they arent meat, and a great source of good quality protein.) Add some mushrooms to your breakfast. A piece of higher protein bread (whole grains, seedy)

You didn't mention dinner - what about fish or seafood?

Dairy is good too - yoghurt or cottage cheese would give you a decent protein boost. I buy natural yoghurt and add a flavoured protein for flavour and sweetness.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too especially since I'm not that crazy about any source of protein (don't like yogurt, beans, nuts, or meat that much)... I've found plugging my nose and chugging a protein shake every day helps a lot. Lately I haven't been able to do it so I've been eating a can of tuna. I find the shakes are the best way to get it in without too many calories though. Premier protein shakes are 160 cal and 30 grams of protein. You'll feel a lot better too once you start getting in the right amount...
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Calculate protein requirements based on a healthy goal weight, not an overweight/obese weight....

Thank you. I think your response answers all my questions nicely.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally accepted is 1.5-2.2g/kg. Or another method is .8-1.2g per goal weight. Your requirements tend to increase with increases in activity and leanness.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I agree that dairy is a good option to boost the protein. Yogurt, skim milk, and lowfat cheese help me a bit.