New and have over 200lbs to lose looking for friends and support

Options
Hi my name is Sophia. I'm a wife and mother to 3 awesome kids. Ages 5,6,&9. Two of my kids are autistic. I'm a medical assistant but currently a stay at home mom because my family just relocated for my husband's job. Weight has been a life long battle for me. I have yo yo my weight since I was a teenager. Before I had kids I went on a weight loss program and lost over 100lbs this was 15yrs ago. I kept it off for 5 years until I got pregnant with my first child. After having my first child I gained a lot of weight. That was the beginning of extreme weight gain and weight loss over the past several years. I had my yearly physical 2 weeks ago and cried when I saw how much I weighed. I am just fed up with myself. Me not taking care of myself and always putting myself on the back burner. As a lot of us mom's tend to do a lot. I can't keep putting my health a side. I have to be healthy for myself and for my family especially my 3 babies. They depend on me and I want to be around for them but if I keep going down the path of not caring I won't be around for my kids and that makes me sick just thinking about not being here to take care of my kids because I didn't take my health seriously. Anyway if there are any moms or people out there that have a lot of weight to lose feel free to add me. I'm excited about this new healthy journey I'm on. It won't be easy but I'm gonna do it I have to.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Welcome! I think what makes many of us, mothers and others, struggle, is that we approach weight problems too emotionally and not rationally enough. Weight gain is a numbers problem - more calories than the body can burn, for some time. We are fed up with ourselves, but not with the lifestyle. Then we are reminded of our weight and health scares, and swear to do something about it, often sincerely, and always excited. Then set out, then we hit the wall.

Can you see a solution? You make it as easy as possible if you keep it simple. MFP offers tools to balance things, your way. Use your food diary and a food scale. Or any method you see fit. All methods are just ways to make you eat less (and move more). If you accept that eating less (and moving more) is what makes you lose weight, you will succeed.
  • sophia_sade85
    sophia_sade85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you appreciate your message! Yes I am eating less and moving more.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Thank you appreciate your message! Yes I am eating less and moving more.
    Good! And thank you too! Just make sure you're doing it consistently and for real, and accept that you'll be doing it for a long time.

If it wasn't what you expected, I understand perfectly. But you can handle it. (If you were disappointed, you're in for a tough ride. Most newcomers are actually disappointed to hear there really isn't more to it.)
  • eurotrashcc
    eurotrashcc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have a lot to lose myself. This place has a lot of great people to encourage you. I've found more support on here than where I live! I'll send you a friend request. Best of luck! 😊
  • sophia_sade85
    sophia_sade85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi eurotrashcc! Thank you for the encouraging words! I wish you nothing but success in your weight loss journey! Stay positive and motivated my friend!😊
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I applaud you! Being a mama for kiddos with special needs is HARD WORK! I have only one with special needs (my baby has bipolar I and severe anxiety issues), and I find my heart and mind stretched to the limit at times. Our love for them though is enough to get us through it all though, huh? 🤗 You are doing so well! To start eating well and exercising is not always easy. I have lots of weight to lose. I don't always agree with everyone on this app and have different circumstances. To eat all of the special powders, foods and smoothies is not within my budget. So, I look up recipes on Pinterest and exercise on my own (no trainers or fitness centers). Plus, I don't weigh all my food, I just eat mostly veggies and have found healthy ways to have carbs and desserts. My page has lots of recipes and encouragement, if you would like to join me. I try to be the kind of friend I would like others to be. 😊 No matter what...GOOD JOB! I hope you have really good and easy success!
  • stopthat35
    stopthat35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Sophia. You can do this. Making changes starts with ones attitude towards the problem. Be determined and undeterred.

I wish you much success on your journey.
  • andilee0902
    andilee0902 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have 100 pounds to lose myself and want to be around for my family. Life is tough and i normally give up. Been going strong almost 2 weeks and it's hard
  • Chelsi1028
    Chelsi1028 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Special needs kids are a lot of work. My son is on the spectrum. I have 140-150 to loose over all . I have always struggled with my weight as well. It took me finding out I became diabetic at some point between my son's birth and getting pregnant with my daughter to get me to finally wake up and change my life for the better. Please feel free to add me! And anyone else who is looking for some extra friends can as well!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I have 100 pounds to lose myself and want to be around for my family. Life is tough and i normally give up. Been going strong almost 2 weeks and it's hard
    I'm always curious when people say they're "going strong" and "it's hard". What are they doing, or trying to do? And why?
  • andilee0902
    andilee0902 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going strong for me means no cheating on my life style change(diet), making good food choices and trying to exercise. It's hard means just that. Why is it hard? Cause I'm obese and trying to change myself for the better. Life altering changes can be hard. Going 2 weeks strong with no slip ups is amazing for me.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I lost a ton 7 years ago but now I need to loose even more.