Dessert Everyday

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Is it reasonable to have dessert everyday if it fits into your calories?

I really do believe in the whole CICO thing and I usually want to have something sweet after dinner (not fruit, chocolate or ice cream), but I have this internal debate with myself constantly that I shouldn't because eating ice cream and chocolate are counter productive to losing weight.

Why NOT fruit, chocolate or ice cream? If it fits within your calories, and you've eaten a variety of nutrient dense foods throughout the day (and by the way - fruit, chocolate and ice cream also offer some nutrients as well) - then there's no reason to avoid these in particular.

Feeling guilty about continuing to enjoy food while losing weight and achieving your goals is definitely not a productive mindset. Better to embrace it now, for long term success.

I read that to mean that what OP means by "something sweet" is "not fruit [but rather] chocolate or ice cream."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I really do believe in the whole CICO thing and I usually want to have something sweet after dinner (not fruit, chocolate or ice cream), but I have this internal debate with myself constantly that I shouldn't because eating ice cream and chocolate are counter productive to losing weight.

Why NOT fruit, chocolate or ice cream? If it fits within your calories, and you've eaten a variety of nutrient dense foods throughout the day (and by the way - fruit, chocolate and ice cream also offer some nutrients as well) - then there's no reason to avoid these in particular.

Feeling guilty about continuing to enjoy food while losing weight and achieving your goals is definitely not a productive mindset. Better to embrace it now, for long term success.

I read that to mean that what OP means by "something sweet" is "not fruit [but rather] chocolate or ice cream."

AHHHH. That makes a little more sense. The oxford comma (or lack thereof) trips things up every single time...

My response still stands though.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    sure. If it fits your goals (including rate of weight loss, health goals, nutrition goals). Why not?

Ditto,

If I've left room in my calories and carbs (T2D) then I can have a 90-100 calorie single serving ice cream cup.

If I made other choices that day, not so much. I.E. I drank a beer or three....

It's like a checkbook. I check the balance, not the number of checks I have in the book to decide if I'll write another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have premium ice cream on days when I earn more exercise calories and something lower calorie, like fruit or small amounts of chocolate, on days when I have less calories to play with.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options

AHHHH. That makes a little more sense. The oxford comma (or lack thereof) trips things up every single time...

Oh, definitely your response was good. I just wanted to offer a different interpretation in which OP is only demonizing chocolate and ice cream, not fruit. :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Oh, definitely your response was good. I just wanted to offer a different interpretation in which OP is only demonizing chocolate and ice cream, not fruit. :smile:

This is MFP, I just assume everyone is demonizing anything that includes sugar INCLUDING fruit.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I had chocolate every day while I was losing, and I have chocolate every day now that I'm in maintenance.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I prelog calories for an evening snack. Usually it's some kind of dessert. Never inhibited my ability to lose or maintain. I just made a chocolate pudding pie for us to have the next few days. :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of dessert every single day. Sometimes it's cookies a cupcake, other days it's fruit or Greek yogurt that I put in the freezer so it kind of feels like ice cream, and sometimes if I'm super low on fat I have a spoonful of PB and call it dessert. I like ending each day with something that I'm eating primarily for enjoyment.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just ate delicious pie. It has pecans and coconuts, so those help my macros, right? 😎
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night. What i have changes, depending on how many calories i have left after dinner.