Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto or low carb and breastfeeding

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
edited July 2018 in Debate Club
This discussion was created from replies split from: Breastfeeding and Low Carb.

Please remember to keep comments productive. Breastfeeding and low carb have both proven to be hot topics in the past, so lets not let this blow up please.

Also, it may be beneficial if you be specific in how low is "low carb" in your posting.

Thanks for your cooperation,
4legs

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Low carb, in particular keto, generally is not recommended for breast feeding mums. There really has not been enough long term studies done on how it affects breast milk. If it is decreasing your milk supplies that is an indication that now is not the time to reduce carbs significantly.

I think it is the switching diets that can be a problem, behind that of too few calories. I know of low carb moms who ate that way while pg, and had no problem breastfeeding. But switching diets while breastfeeding can be a challenge for some.

No. The nutritional needs and well-being of the infant who is relying on the mother as their single source of nutrition takes precedence over the promotion of a fad diet. It doesn't matter what's causing it. There is no scientific evidence to support what you are saying beyond your own anecdotal evidence. To say otherwise is morally repugnant.

Low carb is typically meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds and some fruit. Processed and refined foods are normally skipped, and grains, sugars and starches are limited. What nutrition is missing, in your opinion? opinion being the key word.

I know low carbers who breastfeed. I know vegans who breast fed. I know many people who breastfed on a diet based upon processed and refined foods. It is mainly a calorie deficit that limits the nutrition available to the infant. Skipping bread and noodles will not harm any baby. Why would the mother eating over 150g of carbs in a day be crucial to the nutrition of her milk? Carbs are not nutritionally magical.

Breastmilk is high in sugar, for good reason. Without sufficient carbs in your diet, your milk will not have the necessary nutritional profile to sustain your baby. Carbs, being one of the three macros that feed our bodies, ARE "nutritionally magical."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Low carb, in particular keto, generally is not recommended for breast feeding mums. There really has not been enough long term studies done on how it affects breast milk. If it is decreasing your milk supplies that is an indication that now is not the time to reduce carbs significantly.

I think it is the switching diets that can be a problem, behind that of too few calories. I know of low carb moms who ate that way while pg, and had no problem breastfeeding. But switching diets while breastfeeding can be a challenge for some.

No. The nutritional needs and well-being of the infant who is relying on the mother as their single source of nutrition takes precedence over the promotion of a fad diet. It doesn't matter what's causing it. There is no scientific evidence to support what you are saying beyond your own anecdotal evidence. To say otherwise is morally repugnant.

Low carb is typically meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds and some fruit. Processed and refined foods are normally skipped, and grains, sugars and starches are limited. What nutrition is missing, in your opinion? opinion being the key word.

I know low carbers who breastfeed. I know vegans who breast fed. I know many people who breastfed on a diet based upon processed and refined foods. It is mainly a calorie deficit that limits the nutrition available to the infant. Skipping bread and noodles will not harm any baby. Why would the mother eating over 150g of carbs in a day be crucial to the nutrition of her milk? Carbs are not nutritionally magical.

Breastmilk is high in sugar, for good reason. Without sufficient carbs in your diet, your milk will not have the necessary nutritional profile to sustain your baby. Carbs, being one of the three macros that feed our bodies, ARE "nutritionally magical."

Gluconeogenesis would make up any extra need for glucose. Eating high or moderate carbs is not needed to create lactose. Besides, if one increases carbs you need to cut some other macro: protein or fat.

I'm not arguing for a zero carb diet, although I've seen that healthfully done too. Low carb is not no carb. If the body needs more glucose it can easily be created by the liver using fatty acid glycerol backbone, or from proteins if the body is less adept at using fat for fuel.

I just don't see the magic. A steak, salad and some roasted veggies should make quality milk. I can't see how it would be inferior to a spaghetti meal with tomato sauce, a couple of meatballs, and a salad if calories are held equal. Or a bowl of cereal with 1% milk with a glass of orange juice and a few slices of melon is not better than equal calories of an omelette with spinach, peppers and cheese in it.

I think some wrongly think that low carb must be no carb.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    This is all I can find on BF'ing on low carb diets (aka intentionally restricting an entire macronutrient):

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/feature-article_low-carb-diets-and-breastfeeding

The researchers found that:

• daily breastmilk production was the same regardless of diet: 829 ± 41 mL/d (HCLF) and 821 ± 33 mL/d (LCHF)
    • daily infant breastmilk intake was the same regardless of diet: 611 ± 41 mL/d (HCLF) and 612 ± 41 mL/d (LCHF)
    • there was no effect of diet on either breastmilk lactose or protein
    • there was no difference in infants' intakes of carbohydrate (lactose) or protein between the two diets.
    • the milk fat concentration (4.8 ± 0.3 and 4.3 ± 0.3 g/dL, p = 0.01) and the corresponding daily milk fat content (39 ± 2 and 34 ± 2 g/d, p = 0.02) were higher during the LCHF diet
    • the energy content of milk was higher (p = 0.02) during the LCHF diet (654 ± 24 kcal/d) than during the HCLF diet (619 ± 23 kcal/d)
    • infants' energy intakes expressed as kcal/d (486 ± 24 compared with 452 ± 23) or as kcal/kg/d (87 ± 4 compared with 81 ± 3) was higher (p < 0.05) during the LCHF diet
    • the estimated average maternal energy expenditure was higher (P < 0.03) during the LCHF diet (1368 ± 15 kcal/d) than during the HCLF diet (1283 ± 24 kcal/d)
    • the sum of maternal energy expenditure plus milk energy content was higher (P < 0.01) during the LCHF diet (2022 ± 35 kcal/d) than during the HCLF diet (1910 ± 40 kcal/d)
    • the deficit in energy balance [intake — (energy expenditure + milk output)] was greater (P < 0.01) during the LCHF diet (−235 ± 39 kcal/d) than during the HCLF diet (−119 ± 48 kcal/d)
    • lactating mothers who consumed the LCHF diet decreased carbohydrate oxidation and increased fat oxidation to liberate glucose.

Please note (again) that I am not advocating to switching to LCHF while BF'ing, but I think it is perfectly safe for a LCHF woman to continue with her diet while PG or BF'ing (for the vast majority of women - I'm sure there are exceptions and unusual cases out there).

If the OP wants to switch to LCHF while BFing, I advise going slowly, and adding adequate electrolytes and water, ensuring they are not in a large caloric deficit.

As I said a few times before, I will read any scientific evidence that you have that shows eating fewer than 150g of carbs a day is bad for breastmilk.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The researcher's choice to highlight protein in their study does not confirm your assumptions. It simply means they did not study it. Just as choosing to use certain examples of restricted diets does not mean those are the only restricted diets one should avoid while breastfeeding.

Secondly, from the other article:

"Two moderate hypocaloric diets (1785 ± 22 kcal/day) were assessed in a cross-over design: seven, healthy lactating mothers and their infants were studied on 2 occasions in random order for 8 days separated by 1 to 2 weeks. On one occasion, the subjects received the low carb, high fat (LCHF, 30% of energy as carbohydrate and 55% as fat) and on the other occasion received the high carb, low fat diet (HCLF, 60% of energy as carbohydrate and 25% as fat). It is important to note that the amount of carbohydrates consumed during the LCHF was around 150 g per day (Table 1). This is not considered a true low carb diet — during a strict low carb diet around 20 g of carbohydrates are eaten, increasing to 40 g to maintain health (Dashti et al., 2006)."

A tiny sample size only studied on two occasions. Enough said. Please provide something with conclusive scientific merit.

I'm pretty sure that nothing would satisfy you on this. For some reason you think less that 150 g of carbs a day will negatively affect breast milk. Perhaps you will explain why. Or better yet, try to prove your theory. I'll accept journal articles with similarity small sample sizes.

Anything? Anything at all?

Because the harm is unknown. The research doesn't exist. There is no reputable source that endorses a low carb diet for lactating mothers because of that. You are more than willing to overlook that despite having nothing to substantiate your claims and potentially cause harm to strangers on the internet and their nursing infants by not exercising caution. You are more interested in pushing your WOE instead of conducting logical application of the scientific method.

Well, except for documents and research that I posted which did not support your hypothesis. Those sources don't endorse low carb but they don't advise against it either. Carbs seem pretty breast milk neutral to me.

You did notice how I repeatedly wrote that I do NOT recommend switching to LCHF while BF'ing? How I wrote that if the OP did wish to proceed that she should do so slowly and cautiously? You will have to point out to me where I was pushing a carnivore based ketogenic diet here; I can't remember mentioning it never mind pushing it.

This feels almost like a repeat of the Tim Noakes trial, but with focus on breastfeeding foods rather than weaning foods.

So if I understand you, the possible harm is just in not having enough research to prove that eating under 150g is healthy and safe for breastfeeding? If so, that could really limit what a BF'ing mother can eat. I doubt many foods or woes are proven safe in studies in this area, or if it is tested it is with a small sample like the one I posted earlier. Has high carb been proven safe? Moderate carb? the only study I've found is the one I linked to and both diets seem safe there, but you discounted that study....
    And until you stop engaging in confirmation bias and cherry picking data, I'm going to continue repeating the same thing.

I'm the only one who provided any data! LOL :D:smirk:

So you believe BFing while low carb if unsafe but you can't specify why.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    bfrisk12 wrote: »
    Breastfeeding mom to a 2month old here. I consume 130g of carbs or less/day and my babe is just fine. Science can only do so much. If baby is healthy and thriving and so is mom then eat whatever you bloody well please. There is so much out there that says don’t eat this or that for women who are pregnant or nursing it gets a wee bit ridiculous. The reserch and science is not nearly as important and the individual mom’s (and babe’s) well being if your doc has given you the go ahead to participate in a low carb diet then have at it!

Congrats on the little one.

Did you start low carb while BF'ing, while PG, or earlier?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Breastfeeding mom to a 2month old here. I consume 130g of carbs or less/day and my babe is just fine. Science can only do so much. If baby is healthy and thriving and so is mom then eat whatever you bloody well please. There is so much out there that says don’t eat this or that for women who are pregnant or nursing it gets a wee bit ridiculous. The reserch and science is not nearly as important and the individual mom’s (and babe’s) well being if your doc has given you the go ahead to participate in a low carb diet then have at it!

Research and science is what gives us a good indication of what choices to make to increase the chances of positive health outcomes. I don't understand concluding that it is not important. If we give up the idea that research and science can help us understand reality, we're left trying to piece things together through anecdotes, myth, and rumors.

(I'm not saying that low carbohydrate diets aren't good for breastfeeding, I haven't looked at the research. I'm challenging the idea that research isn't necessary or that we can dismiss information we don't like because our individual results are the only truth that is possible).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Research and science is what gives us a good indication of what choices to make to increase the chances of positive health outcomes. I don't understand concluding that it is not important. If we give up the idea that research and science can help us understand reality, we're left trying to piece things together through anecdotes, myth, and rumors.

(I'm not saying that low carbohydrate diets aren't good for breastfeeding, I haven't looked at the research. I'm challenging the idea that research isn't necessary or that we can dismiss information we don't like because our individual results are the only truth that is possible).

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that "research isn't necessary", but I fully agree with trusting your gut as a momma.

The unfortunate truth is there is a huge lack of data on many things involving pregnancy. I think this is a result of 2 things. 1. No one is brave enough to promote researching healthy pregnant or breastfeeding ladies for fear of the lawsuits if anything happened (not that I blame them, nor would I even want to be the one saying "hey, try this and lets see what happens to a pregnant/nursing mom). 2. Dietary research is usually based on results in "healthy" people, and pregnant or nursing women are usually considered as having a "condition" that would make them an outlier. Even if data is available, it isn't always collected and looked at.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that "research isn't necessary", but I fully agree with trusting your gut as a momma.

The unfortunate truth is there is a huge lack of data on many things involving pregnancy. I think this is a result of 2 things. 1. No one is brave enough to promote researching healthy pregnant or breastfeeding ladies for fear of the lawsuits if anything happened (not that I blame them, nor would I even want to be the one saying "hey, try this and lets see what happens to a pregnant/nursing mom). 2. Dietary research is usually based on results in "healthy" people, and pregnant or nursing women are usually considered as having a "condition" that would make them an outlier. Even if data is available, it isn't always collected and looked at.

I am not arguing against "trust your gut," as long as it isn't paired with a "my gut is more important than any research" spirit. That's the kind of thinking that winds up with huge pockets of unvaccinated children or communes that decide to "pray away" serious infections.

I agree that there isn't a whole lot of research on a lot of this stuff, which makes my response kind of moot.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As for low carb diets when brestfeeding, I don't have a scientifically backed answer, but for me I would base it on common sense and what I do know.

1. Make sure you are getting the right amount of calories over all. Breastfeeding takes energy!
    2. Don't drastically change stuff, so if I wasn't low carb already why go there now?. Unless you have a medical reason pop up (though the only one I can think of carb related is GD, which one would think you already developed and addressed by this point. Anyone heard of getting GD while breastfeeding, not something I have ever thought about until this moment)
    3. If I was already used to low cab- an oz of breastmilk has 2.1g of carbs in it. I think I would personally go with eating that many carbs plus whatever I was used to for me previously and see how it goes. (so if I was eating 20g carbs per day, and pumping 30 oz, I would shoot for 80 g/day). In the end the only thing to do is monitor supply, keep formula on hand in case you need it, and do your best. That's what I did with calories, I would take the same approach with carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think not changing things, or changing them slowly and cautiously, seems to be the safest bet too.

ETA I don't think we should rely on research to prove everything is safe to eat; I don't think some diets need more proof than knowing the diet is healthy for adults. I think a healthy diet with adequate calories and protein for the mother equals healthy, adequate breast milk (as a general rule) for the child.