Jump rope

Does anyone incorporate jump rope and have success?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    It's pretty hard on the knees and ankles depending on the surface.
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes, my favorite. Make sure you get a speed rope and try to doing 30 jumps at a time. Man i get tired as hell jumping rope and riding bikes, my top two cardio methods besides the elliptical
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    I'm 249lbs at present. According to a few articles I've seen on Google can I really burn 15 calories per minute by skipping??? Seems high.
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Love love jump rope. It is challenging (endurance wise) but so much fun when you can incorporate more complex moves like double unders.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    cbenno97 wrote: »
    Love love jump rope. It is challenging (endurance wise) but so much fun when you can incorporate more complex moves like double unders.

I have never been able to master the double unders and when trying I left the gym with some impressive welts. Luckily they didn't really hurt.

I jump rope a couple times a week. If I do it everyday, one of my ankles stars to bother me. I do like adding it into workouts to get my heart rate up though. My favorite is to do a Tabata set of jump rope.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    I use it in short bursts as part of a circuit workout or to throw a cardio burst into a strength training day.
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    Skipping is Fats enemy. 1000 Kcal an hour is definitely possible.
    I find HIIT 60sec flat out/30sec rest, for 25mins is absolutely exhausting.
    My fitness was up within 2 weeks substantially and can credit the skipping to helping lose 10kg in a month.
    Have really good shoes. A wooden floor or solid rubber gym mat, and spend the extra on a speed rope preferably with ball bearings in the handles (about $20 on eBay). I bought one I think "5billion" is the brand and it is awesome. Super fast, double unders much easier than standard rope.
    Cheap, super effective and fantastic for weight loss, cardio and coordination.
    Difficulty - Medium/Hard
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    At 9Round, round #1 is always the jump rope. It's a great way to get warmed up & get the heart rate climbing. It can take some time to get good at it, but it's totally worth it. I have a jump rope in each of my gym bags. It's an exercise you can do nearly anywhere.
  • TrueGrit1906
    TrueGrit1906 Posts: 54 Member
    I skip rope at least four to five days a week. It's not just a great warm up, but it's a good workout as well. I've incorporated it into all of my workouts.
  • stuart3727
    stuart3727 Posts: 6 Member
    I do 30 minutes on an elliptical at a moderate pace and then 15 minutes of high intensity rope jumping after. Great workout. Jumping rope is a lot of fun, especially with tunes playing. I never jumped rope before but started last fall and now doing cross-overs, double unders and always trying new moves that I find on YouTube. Keeps me fit at 58.
  • skyllark
    skyllark Posts: 40 Member
    I love jumping rope! I felt like it has helped a lot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    I'm 249lbs at present. According to a few articles I've seen on Google can I really burn 15 calories per minute by skipping??? Seems high.

It's unlikely that you'd be able to do it for many minutes, though. That's not a slam on you. It's just that jumping rope isn't easy and usually you don't spend that much time actively skipping. Even as a kid I'd jump for maybe a minute or two straight and then it was somebody else's turn, for instance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I'm not a successful jump roper. Hard to do. Hard on joints. Hard to do for more than a minute or two. I'm not against challenging workouts, but there are others that are more enjoyable and useful "for me". If you're good at it and enjoy it, have at it! Be aware, jump roping has no magical or secret properties to make you lose weight faster, unless you jump rope in the kitchen instead of snacking, lol.