How deep are your push-ups?

Options
Maybe I'm getting old, but I've found that the 90-degree (shallow) push-ups feel the best. I've switched to doing 50 fast shallow push-ups per set rather than slow deep ones (which hurt my shoulders). Thoughts?

Replies

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I was taught that the back of your arms should always be parallel, in a straight line with your back, in the down position. I guess anything that hurts you is bad, though.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder impingement and took off any type of pressing for about 6 months. I slowly started added pushup and dips back in. I was only going to parallel, but then the program I'm on required sets with all the way to the floor (which btw I read the new army standard is to the floor and hands up). After 5 sets of those, my arm was hurting the next day, so I decided not to do that anymore.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I've always went with military push ups, prolly because i was in the army. When you get fatigued go to knee push ups. Providing no medical issues of course, but always break the plane going down, nose to the ground.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    chatarunga
    all the way down
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Nose to the ground
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    I've always went with military push ups, prolly because i was in the army. When you get fatigued go to knee push ups. Providing no medical issues of course, but always break the plane going down, nose to the ground.

Nose to the ground is usually fine (I have a big nose) LOL. It's belly to the ground where I start feeling it. :tongue:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Always touch my chest at the bottom.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Chest to ground but I recently started trying to keep my elbows pointed back instead of out. They are much harder but are supposed to be better for your shoulders.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    In the Marine Corps, head was up, chest to the ground, then full extension back up...but that was about 20 years ago for me. 6 years as one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children, and 2 motorcycle wrecks, plus pushing 50 has me modifying how I work some areas out.

First rule of exercise, if it burns...you're doing it right. If it's painful, you're doing it wrong, and may do some real damage. Like I would always tell my troops - "Good to be hard, hard to be smart!"
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Chest to ground but I recently started trying to keep my elbows pointed back instead of out. They are much harder but are supposed to be better for your shoulders.

I struggle with this. I can do regular push-ups but the more reps I do the more my elbows go outward. That causes pain so I've been purposely trying to keep them back but can't do nearly as many reps. Practice, I guess.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    chatarunga
    all the way down

Nameste
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Always touch my chest at the bottom.

The one time big boobs help in fitness. Not that I have them. #teamsportboobs.

Sorry had to laugh at this, I'm always saying I wish I had boobs still (down from an FF to an A if I'm lucky), they've completely vanished and I think my pecs are actually bigger and it's so not fair that those with actual boobs don't have to go as low on press ups (or get the bar as low when benching), feels like I have to work twice as hard as those that are well endowed.

As for the original question, it depends whether I'm going for pure strength or strength + speed and what type I'm doing.
    Normally it's as close to floor as I can, but my PT has me doing a challenge which includes 100 done as fast as possible and she doesn't expect them to be full press ups. I've only just graduated from my knees to toes with tricep press ups, so don't get as low as I probably should yet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've had my share of shoulder issues. When I was new to weight loss I jumped on a pull up bar and was doing as many sets as I could and tore my rotator cuff pretty badly.

One move I learned in rehab is from a pushup position to pushup your back. It's kind of hard to describe but rounding your back up, feeling it in the shoulder blades. It's a very subtle but very effective shoulder rehab move. I would bet this would at least feel good if it didn't help fix your issue.

Edit - found this video that demonstrates what I'm talking about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLAf2YG4flw

The other time that I suffered from an instable shoulder was too much bench pressing. If you've been doing too many pushups, bench presses, you need to counter that with pulls. Rowing or dumbbell or barbell pulls. Your muscles can begin pulling on your shoulders if you do too much one way. Ironically, I now row a ton and have to do more pushups/chest work to counterbalance all the pulls.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Deep ?

..... like on a philosophical spectrum ?

(not very)
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Didn't the BeeGees ask this question?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Didn't the BeeGees ask this question?

I think it was actually Spinal Tap... ;)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • mattsavigear
    mattsavigear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Elbows tucked into sides, weight on the first two knuckles of the fists, I tend to touch down with my (short) beard - without leaning my head forward. Chest touch-down is a bit more awkward if you work on your knuckles due to the extra couple of inches height!