How much exercise is too much?

Options
HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
I run, lift, swim and have just recently started Spin classes. I can’t get enough of them. I have never worked out so hard in my life. I am going to training to become an instructor so sometimes I hit two spin classes a day then lift. I still maintain my weight training 3-4 times a week, run and swim at least once a week and spin 5 days a week (1-2) classes per day. I try to take one day off per week for rest. I eat about 2K calories per day. I eat three meals a day and have been taking a nap in the afternoon before I hike with my dog. I feel good, as long as I eat enough and get my nap in. I am 48, female, 5’6” and weigh 129. People are always telling me that I am doing too much but I feel ok. Any input for me? Ps...I am retired from the military so I have time on my hands.

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Depends really on what you're trying to achieve. If it's weight loss, you're sure to burn off loads of calories with what you're doing. However, if you're not fuelling your body adequately you might feel unwell and your body composition may go off. If you're trying to gain weight, then you need to ensure you're eating another to recover the calories you've burnt exercising.
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thank you. My weight dipped into the 120’s which I feel is too low for me. I am 13% body fat and am happy with the way my clothes fit and how I look. MFP says I should be eating ~1000 more calories than I do which I am trying to work up to but it is hard because for so much of my life I restricted calories so much of the time (not properly fueling my body). Thank you
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, listen to your body. If you feel good, you're doing just fine.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If it works for you it's fine...and nobody else's business! I suspect the ones telling you to reduce your activity level do not understand or appreciate the value of fitness.

I'm a female vet and people do not understand my need to workout. It was ingrained at a very impressionable time in my life: keep going, don't stop, push yourself, meet the goal, exceed the goal, raise the goal. Repeat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are the best judge based on your current fitness level. Listen to your body to ensure adequate recovery time and per ent injury. What you do would be way too much many people and too little for others. It sounds like you're taking a well balanced and sensible approach. Who are the people telling you you're doing too much... Fitness experts or out of shape relatives? Lol
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Unless it's causing you issues, I fail to see that there is such a thing as "too much."

The biggest issue I could potentially see if you, is if you were to have an injury that sidelined you for more than a few days or so, the loss of that much activity could have a large impact on your weight if you don't dramatically reduce your intake at that time.

Plenty of easy ways to sneak in calories if you fee like you're coming up short and suffering from it.
  • HilTri
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of your support. It is nice to have like minded people as a sounding board. Thank you. Drive on!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'm around your size and weight, older (62), not doing anything like your workout routine . . . but I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you're feeling fine. IMO, the only "too much exercise" is if it causes overuse injuries, causes overtraining symptoms, is exhausting, or throw's one's life out of good overall balance (i.e., doesn't leave enough time for job, family, social life, intellect, creativity, etc. . . . with "enough time" being an utterly individual, subjective personal preference).

As a li'l ol' worried granny type, I'd be a little concerned about whether you're fueling that activity adequately. I maintain on around 2100-2300, while doing only an hour or so of on-water rowing or a single spin class 6 days a week, plus some irregular lifting, with a pretty sedentary life otherwise. I admit to being a surprisingly good calorie burner for unknown reasons, but it still makes me wonder how someone about my size could sustain your schedule on 2000.

14% body fat is just above the line between essential body fat and very lean, for women, based on the American Council on Exercise recommendations, with essential body fat being the range where negative health consequences become a statistical risk. Obviously, you're an individual, not a statistic, and you (and your doctor) know how you're doing, but it's a consideration. I hope you're getting ample protein with that workout schedule, and overall good nutrition.

Best wishes!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I had to take a nap after reading your routine! JK! If you feel good and have the time, go for it. Sounds like you have only yourself and the pup to consider, and you are building in goals (becoming an instructor) so that’s good. Have fun!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it works for you it works for you. From what I've read from your posts you seem like someone who knows how to listen to their body so I wouldn't stress about it. I recently moved up to working out 6 days a week with three of those days being two a days - running in the morning and cycling in the evening. I know a number of people who work out more than this and plenty who work out less. What's important is that it remain sustainable (which may very well mean changing what you do and how often).
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Maybe think about "too much" in the sense of repetitive motion injury. Is spin the only thing you want to teach? Instead of spinning for 14 (you mentioned two a day) classes per week maybe mix in some aerobics or dance. You would still get the benefit of seeing how various instructors lead their classes even if you don't want to teach those types of classes. Or have a mix of swimming and running since you like those activities.
    Your body may not tell you about a repetitive motion injury until damage has been done.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rest is an important component in any exercise regimen and gets more important as you age. In Joe Friel's book Fast After Fifty (yes I know you are not quite there yet) he summarizes the two most important keys to maintaining fitness as you get older are (1) incorporating High Intensity Training and (2) ensuring you get enough rest. As you age you just need more recovery time. Friel (Runners Training Bible, Triathletes Training Bible) is a big proponent of Periodized training - where you have 2-3 weeks of higher volume, higher intensity training followed by a week of reduced effort. That allows your body some time to recover and rebuild. That might be something you want to consider.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You're retired. If that's how you like to spend your time, you feel good and your Doctor has no concerns with your low BF%, then I say go for it. As others mentioned, just ensure you are getting adequate fuel and rest.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Make sure you really take a break on your rest days! I found once I started exercising more than once per day that rest days were hard to rest on, I wanted to go on hikes, hit the gym, go running.
    Just be mindful that you are honestly giving all of your body a rest.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think you just need to listen to your body. If it starts to give you signs that you're putting it through too much, listen, and slow down. Don't risk injury. i would also work on eating more if you're having issues with losing weight due to all this exercise.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I overdo all the time.
    Exercise is my relaxation, my meditation. So it is hard to take days off.
    I can do it too.
    But I know when I need to take a day off, because when I set off to do my activity that day, my run, my tennis, my lifting, I have a little tinge of dread.
    I mention this because I think sometimes we don't listen to that. We push through, right? Because exercise is always kind hard, and activities like running and lifting are about pushing through what is hard.
    But that dread. You have to listen to that subtle, niggling dread that is easy to ignore and think, "Oh, I'll be alright once I get started and I'll feel better when I am done."
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's too much for ME...but if you feel that you are fully recovering, hitting fitness goals, and can keep up this pace, then go for it.

I'll always suggesting eating and sleeping more to anyone though, b/c food and sleep are great.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The ones needing the most recovery are the weights & running, both spinning & swimming are zero impact so I'd say if you're getting enough sleep, eating enough and aren't feeling unduly fatigued you're fine. I'm jealous about the afternoon nap.....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    Thank you. My weight dipped into the 120’s which I feel is too low for me. I am 13% body fat and am happy with the way my clothes fit and how I look. MFP says I should be eating ~1000 more calories than I do which I am trying to work up to but it is hard because for so much of my life I restricted calories so much of the time (not properly fueling my body). Thank you

My only thought that your calories were probably too low, but it sounds like you're working on that. Peanut butter and ice cream! Yay!