Jack Sprat...

Options
My husband and I are the classic Jack Sprat couple. I'm borderline obese and he's underweight. I'm trying to lose weight, but as I am the cook of the house, when I clean out the pantry to keep myself from eating crap... he's the one who loses weight.

How can I help him gain weight as I'm trying to lose it?

(note: we are vegans, WFPBNO)

Replies

• layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Same here (not the vegan part).
    My hubby is desperately trying to put weight on whereas I am trying to lose the last few pounds (65 pounds up to now lost).
    Eat smaller portions than your husband. Fill your plate with veggies so you get fuller quicker. He could have protein shakes with or between meals. Give him a beer with his dinner (lots of calories in beer even though they are 'empty'). Encourage your husband to eat calorific snacks between meals such as nuts but this is where you have to exercise some self control as the temptation to snack will be there (unless he buys his own snacks while he is out the house).
    Good thing is if you are the cook then you know exactly what has gone into your meals making it easier to track your calories.
    Best of luck to you :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why not just add more calorie dense things to his meal? A pile of rice or beans, roasted sweet potatoes etc. Add extra fats to his meals - drizzle the vegies in oil, add lots of avocado or nuts/seeds and nut butters.

Adding things after cooking is an easy way to eat similar meals but bump up the calorie count of his.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Give him more fats and oils: avocados, nuts, olives. Also tofu. Also lots of carbs and beans.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Increase his portions and decrease yours!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For him:
    Larger portion sizes
    Calorie dense foods like avocado, banana, potato, butter, oil, salad dressing, nuts, seeds, bread, rice, hummus
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Juice or smoothies
    Have him track food as well to make sure he eats enough to maintain or gain weight if that is his goal.
    What vegan "crap" are you getting rid of that he usually eats or drinks? Maybe reconsider some of it and just buy smaller amounts for just him.

For you:
    Smaller portion sizes of higher calorie foods
    More low calorie vegetables and fruits to bulk out your meals
    Lower fat versions of foods
    Try planning your eating and prelogging food.

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What does he want to do? Is he trying to gain bulk or trying to gain muscle mass? How serious is he about improving? Tracking calories/macros/workouts?

It’s impossible for you to help him with his goals if he doesn’t have a plan, if he has a plan you’ll know exactly what needs to be added.

Example. My husband is training for a mud run, so he has a certain calorie and protein goals each day. I’m measuring food for dinner anyways so I ask him two questions before I prep every dinner “about how many calories do you need” “how much protein”. I measure out the protein first, add a reasonable amount of veggies, and fill the rest of the calorie goal in with whatever rice/noodle/potato/sauce we’re eating that day.

I don’t make it my job to know what he needs to eat, that’s on him. If his response is IDK or whatever he gets about 600 calories and I call it a day. He can meet his goals through his evening snack.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    He needs to eat more and you need to eat less.

What is WFPBNO?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What is WFPBNO?

Whole food plant based something or other. Not ovo? No oil? New order? :smile:

OP, maybe you can leave some of whatever you consider crap in a specific cabinet that only he goes in? Do you guys eat all your meals at home, or does he feed himself sometimes?
    If you are in charge of his food for some reason, then you need to find a way to be okay with there being more food in the house than you should be eating. Otherwise, let him be responsible for most of his daytime meals, and then for dinner, you need to make enough so he can take a bigger portion. Is it possible he feels bad having higher cal foods in the house because he doesn't want to derail you? If so, can you change that?

You guys don't have to eat the same foods or the same quantities. He needs to eat more, and he probably needs some calorie dense stuff that either he eats away from home, or you consider just his food that you leave alone if you can't fit it in your cals.

I would also consider you might be setting yourself up for a tough journey if you had to clean out the cupboard to try to lose weight. Once you lose the weight, you will have to continue to eat better to maintain it, for the rest of your life, and there is always going to be food around that you need to make a conscious decision to eat appropriately. If there is no room for occasional yummy "crap" or calorie dense foods in your diet, your plan might be too aggressive or unrealistic. Just something to think about!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

What is WFPBNO?

"No oil" is the winning answer!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

What is WFPBNO?

Really? I've never heard of that. Interesting.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My partner and I are never on the same losing/gaining/maintaining schedule, so we make a lot of meals where one person can easily add calories without impacting the base meal. A main-course salad is a great example: you can have the base salad with all the good veggies and tofu (or whatever), and he can add a high-calorie dressing, an extra helping of the protein, an avocado and/or some nuts, etc. When I'm trying to cut and he isn't, we'll make side dishes and buy snack foods that he likes but I don't (so I'm not tempted to eat them).
  • janejellyroll
    edited August 2018
    Options

What is WFPBNO?

Really? I've never heard of that. Interesting.

I've been vegan for about 11 years now and fear of/aversion to oil seems to cycle in and out of style in the community. You've got some very vocal proponents of it being a harmful food (think the "Forks over Knives" people). This POV is generally not supported by your more evidence-based vegan RDs.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Boost, Ensure, Glucerna.
    Nuts. Hummis/cheese with crackers. Instant breakfast. Dark chocolate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Boost, Ensure, Glucerna.
    Nuts. Hummis/cheese with crackers. Instant breakfast. Dark chocolate.

Boost, Ensure, Glucerna, and Instant Breakfast are all non-vegan.