Whole wheat or whole grain

Options
Which one is better , whole grain or whole wheat bread ??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like better and fits into your nutritional goals
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is an unanswerable question.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Better for what? What are you really asking?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wheat is a grain. Whole can mean 100% of something, or unbroken. What's the better choice, depends on the occasion.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    We can only tell what's "better" in the context of your goals. Are you looking for the best tasting bread, lowest calorie, highest fiber, something else? Do you have any medical conditions that affect the amount or type of bread you can eat?

When I buy bread, I'm looking either for the lowest calorie bread or the best tasting bread, depending on what it's for. The sandwich bread I currently buy is the store brand white bread from Safeway, which is 50 calories a slice. For the best tasting bread, I prefer a freshly baked loaf directly from a local bakery.

I don't buy whole wheat/whole grain bread because I don't like the taste of it, and because I get more than enough fiber from other foods, so there's no need for me to eat it if I don't like it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite breads, Winnipeg rye, is made mostly from refined flour and cracked grains of rye that have been soaked for a while. It's not superior but it has a different texture.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat means that it uses all the parts of the grain (germ, endosperm, bran) and that the only grain is wheat. (Wheat is a specific plant.)

Whole grain means that it uses all the parts of the grain (germ, endosperm, bran), but it can be any grain (wheat, rye, corn, oat, rice, etc.).

Broadly speaking, I don't think one is better than the other, but you may have specific health concerns that may make one or the other preference (e.g., an allergy or intolerance for wheat might make you prefer non-wheat whole grains, while an allergy or intolerance for one of the non-wheat grains may make it easier to stick to whole wheat, so you don't have to read the ingredient list to avoid the allergen).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »
    Which one is better , whole grain or whole wheat bread ??

What are you looking to compare?
    Flavor, texture, fiber, calorie count, best for grilled cheese sandwiches, best for pbj?

I like whole wheat bread for a basic sandwich bread. My dh likes whole grain bread that is chunkier and coarser.
    If I am making a grilled cheese sandwich then sourdough bread beats both. I don't worry too much about fiber from bread.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I stick with whole wheat or whole grain - to me it just tastes better. Just met with a RD and she recommended whole wheat and whole grain.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    So I just compared nutritional information on whole wheat and whole multigrain bread tonight. All was the same, except the whole wheat listed 6 grams of fiber compared to 5 in the multi grain. That was enough for me to buy the whole wheat.

I'm sure it is brand specific since multi grain could be any grain, some with more or less nutritional value.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    So I just compared nutritional information on whole wheat and whole multigrain bread tonight. All was the same, except the whole wheat listed 6 grams of fiber compared to 5 in the multi grain. That was enough for me to buy the whole wheat.

I'm sure it is brand specific since multi grain could be any grain, some with more or less nutritional value.

Also, people should be aware that not all multigrain is whole grain. It has to say whole grain or whole multigrain, as the kind you looked at did.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Also, people should be aware that not all multigrain is whole grain. It has to say whole grain or whole multigrain, as the kind you looked at did.

Also, things noted "whole grain" are not necessarily 100% whole grain, which can affect the nutrition profile. https://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/whats-whole-grain-refined-grain/existing-standards-whole-grains
  • daniellekauff99
    daniellekauff99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Always buy 100% whole wheat bread. This means that all the nutrients are still there and none are extracted.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    Whole grain bread with lots of crunchy bits makes much better toast for spreading with chunky peanut butter, topped with banana slices and a drizzle of molasses

Is that what you meant, OP?

OMG!!! I really want this now!!!! I'm am literally drooling.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It depends what your preference is. You could try different types of bread and see which you like best. Spelt is the ancestor of modern wheat and I think spelt bread has less gluten. Oat bread is lighter than wholewheat and has a more delicate taste. As long as it's not white bread, and you're not allergic to any grains, you could just experiment and find a bread that suits you. I eat both wholewheat and wholegrain seeded. Wholewheat is a bit denser than wholegrain.