Why am I not sore?

Options
2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I so hear you on the steak and fish.
    I grew up in northern England and a steak, if you were ever offered one, was like shoe leather (think hiking boots), and the only fish I knew was fish and chips.

Fast forward a few decades and I met a west coast Canadian that grew up on BBQ steak (rare) and fresh sea food.

After a lot of persuading I tried a medium rare steak- oh my! Night and day to my early experiences.
    It is now one of my favourite foods.

Seafood, very much the same story. When we went out he would order seafood and put a small portion aside for me to try. My palate slowly developed to appreciate the various flavours.
    Salmon is low on my list, halibut on the top, cod a good staple.

Ooh and I love prawns. With them he ordered a couple of buckets in different broths, and a big spinach salad (just in case I hated everything).
    I had had a problem with having a little taste then a not so nice lingering after taste. With these buckets of prawns I found once I had got past eating 3 of them the after taste had gone. Since then I have had no problem with prawns, muscles, or clams.

Those stories were told just to say not having a palate, doesn't mean you can't acquire a palate, for at least a few extra protein sources, if you are willing.

Heck my veg palate was pretty limited (local availability at the time) and I had never had rice, as a savoury, or pasta until I was in my late teens and living on my own.

Take it slow but try to broaden your protein palate, your muscles will love you for it.

Cheers, h.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    look up what not getting enough protein can really do to your body. you will most likely change your mind once you see the issues it can cause you.10g is way too little.

hope thats a woo as in woohoo. too little protein IS harmful to your health
    It could have also been a response to the fact that the OP isn't eating 10g of protein anymore. I personally find it best to not question why a button was or wasn't clicked. That said that's more an issue that I see in forums that have more established buttons (ie Ravelry).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    look up what not getting enough protein can really do to your body. you will most likely change your mind once you see the issues it can cause you.10g is way too little.

hope thats a woo as in woohoo. too little protein IS harmful to your health
    It could have also been a response to the fact that the OP isn't eating 10g of protein anymore. I personally find it best to not question why a button was or wasn't clicked. That said that's more an issue that I see in forums that have more established buttons (ie Ravelry).

could be but I would think they would have woo'd her post and not mine. but anyway.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm eating 60 grams now . They probably woo because you didn't read.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Yes I'm eating 60 grams now . They probably woo because you didn't read.

um yes I did read.I saw where it said you were eating 60 grams now. so thanks for assuming I didnt read the post.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Not sure how true it is, but I have read that low protein intake (below minimum RDI) can impact recovery from exercise. 10 grams a day is definitely below the RDI.

From my personal trainer book:
    “The primary uses for amino acids in the body are anabolic processes, such as building muscle mass.”
    “Having a sufficient supply of amino acids enhances protein synthesis for muscle building during anaerobic activities and for muscle recovery and repair afterwards.”

Personally I only get DOMS the first week or two into a new exercise routine, but no soreness after that. It doesn’t mean my workouts aren’t effective.

Ditto. The first week back after taking 2 months off (concussion), I could barely walk! Now I don't get sore any more.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You shouldn't expect DOMS once you've gotten used to a workout routine. It doesn't mean anything is wrong; your muscles just recover more quickly from exercises that they've done repeatedly.

Since you're not a big meat fan, how do you feel about vegetarian protein sources? Tofu, tempeh, seitan, TVP (dehydrated soy protein, which you can season as you like), prepackaged meatless proteins? You can eat all of those things in addition to meat--no need to be vegetarian if you don't want to be.

Edit, regarding increasing your running distance: If you're comfortable at the distance you're currently doing, then you can try increasing it, but standard advice is not to increase your mileage by more than 10% each week.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Soreness doesn't tell you whether the workout was optimal or not, so honestly I wouldn't worry. You're not getting sore, that's great! As long as you're progressing and seeing the results you want I wouldn't change anything.

Usually we get sore when we do something different, a new exercise, more volume than usual, better form (hitting the muscles as they should be), a longer workout etc.. but this isn't a guarantee and sometimes we get sore even when we have a really suboptimal workout. It's really nothing to worry about.

Your food intake may play a part in recovery, it's hard to tell unless that was the only thing that changed. Either way, I definitely think 60g is a much better target to have for protein! Sounds like you're doing well :)
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Howdy,
    I've got a question about exercise and soreness! When I used to work out even for just say 30 minutes I would be sore for weeks after.. I would push through it and was always in a state of soreness despite even taking rest days etc. eventually the pain led me to stop working out. This time around I've been running 25 miles a week (on 5 days off 2) and I haven't had a single sore day. The only thing I've really changed is that now I'm eating the right amount of protein, I used to only eat 10grams a day and now I eat about 60 grams. Could that have been the answer to why I was always sore? Or am I just slacking off and need to be running harder on my runs? My runs feel very easy, never out of breath and my muscles aren't tired... I'm thinking of increasing distance again next week. If you're not sore is that an indicator that you aren't putting in enough effort? Maybe I shouldn't even be questioning this and just roll with it ? 😆
    Thanks!

I don't think you need to be sore every time you exercise. As long as you are getting progressively more intense with your exercise, it's unnecessary to always be sore. Cl