Whole 30 Challenge

Options
Who wants to join me and do the Whole 30 challenge? I'm starting tomorrow which is 7/25/18.

Meaning NO processed foods for 30 days. Think you can do it? It's going to be tough but I want to be healthy for my baby and myself.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 Whole 30's previously. One when I first started my journey, and then another after I had gone off of the rails and put a bunch of weight back on. It's was great to not only get me started (again) on eating a whole foods diet, but it also helped to identify some food intolerances. I think that it's a great program if followed strictly, especially if you are trying to determine if you have any specific intolerances. I would highly recommend reintroducing inflammatory foods one at a time after you complete the Whole 30 so that if you do have any intolerances, they will be easier to identify.

Good luck!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I found this very very challenging...did it once. not ready to do it again yet. good luck <3
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 21 right now.....Once I got thru the first 7-10 days, I'm feeling great. I don't limit fruit though - I haven't read the book (only the website) but I am 45 and have advanced osteoarthris in my right leg (several ACL surgeries) after trolling some arthritis websites, I decided I need to elimate processed sugar to help get my inflammation under control. This bisch doesn't want a knee replacement at 45! I miss wine though. And not reading labels.
  • lamarmurray45
    lamarmurray45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am starting August 1. Would love to join the group!!
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Who wants to join me and do the Whole 30 challenge? I'm starting tomorrow which is 7/25/18.

Meaning NO processed foods for 30 days. Think you can do it? It's going to be tough but I want to be healthy for my baby and myself.

Does processed include cheese? That's the only thing I wouldn't want to skip out on for a month.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    katphi1618 wrote: »

Does processed include cheese? That's the only thing I wouldn't want to skip out on for a month.

Whole30 means no dairy at all, including cheese (with the exception of ghee/clarified butter).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    katphi1618 wrote: »

Whole 30 isn't just no processed food. It's original intent was to help people figure out food intolerances and allergies. There is a long list on "don'ts." Cheese wouldn't be allowed, because dairy is not allowed.
  • bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Biggest problem is the amount of money it would cost.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Biggest problem is the amount of money it would cost.

Eating foods like eggs, meat (including more affordable types like ground beef and chicken thighs), non-starchy vegetables, fruits (including generally affordable ones like apples, oranges, and bananas), along with canned goods like tomatoes and fish, and condiments like mustard and vinegar is going to be within the budget of most people.

Yeah, you can do an expensive Whole30. But the plan includes many staple foods.
  • celkins0901
    celkins0901 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, along with my DH and some friends are planning to start September 1st. I'd love to follow along and offer support and see how it goes so that I can know what to expect...

Good luck. I hope you meet your goals!
  • Davefitness101
    Davefitness101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! Anything is better than nothing.
    You can do this!!
  • biche896
    biche896 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I’m planning to start tomorrow ! Is anyone still doing whole30? Would love to do it with someone!
  • mzbecker
    mzbecker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Realizing the last comment on her was a year ago. Whole 30 was recommended by counselor, so giving it a try on day 15. Something new, so exciting and interesting to begin with, a bit more challenging now. I have found many recipes that are delicious, and making things ahead on weekends helps me to get going quicker in the mornings. Not to mention coming home and just having to warm something up. Reading labels, and having it matter is new to me. (Who knew there was sugar in kidney beans, and salt? Probably people on this website :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Edit: eek, just realized this was a revival of a dead thread, so my comments are perhaps irrelevant!
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Its not tough. Its easy. Very easy, to me. I have done it many times for fun. In my case it proved nothing other than CICO works for weight managements. Also found no allergies to any foods.

I agree with this. At one point I considered doing it (they didn't permit potatoes at the time), and did do a paleo thing (strict, no added sugar) for about a month. I figured it wouldn't be difficult as I was already doing something so similar and mostly ate home cooked foods, no added sugar, blah, blah. But I couldn't figure out why no potatoes (the paleo thing I was following was okay with potatoes and potatoes and sweet potatoes are both tubers so the different treatment made no sense). So I read the book and decided the nutrition advice was pretty garbage, which ended up souring me on paleo overall, and ultimately I decided I was good with dairy and beans and lentils would be a good food to increase in my diet (plant based food source), and that while I still find grains more often than not a waste of cals they aren't something I personally am prone to overeating and whole grains can be healthful. And thus I ditched the whole paleo thing.

That there is so much bad advice included with it is a shame since I think the encouragement of home cooking and the challenge aspect related to that is great (and even though I think it would be easy for me I do enjoy a challenge or excuse to be extra mindful).

The idea that the specific foods cut out (which are paleo based) are extra inflammatory is wrong. Many foods permitted are more inflammatory than those not. Also, the extent to which people have issues with beans, lentils, potatoes (when they were forbidden), and even grains are vastly overstated, and other foods are just as likely to be issues, so focusing on these rather than doing a real elimination diet seems to me a bad idea if one is suffering.

If not, it's pointless.

Dairy is an extremely common food for people to have issues with, but it depends on the lactose content and also background. It's extremely uncommon for people in areas where dairy has been a food source for a long time (and you can do a genetic test for it). People from NW Europe are quite unlikely to have issues, among others. So assuming it's a high source of issues without prior symptoms and ignoring background is again silly IMO.

That all aside, if one can ignore the nonsense (which I have trouble with) and just focus on it as a challenge to force one to cook from scratch, give up possible crutch foods and thus branch out, or set a pattern that one can build on, I think it can be a good thing to do. (I instead do go through periods where I challenge myself to achieve these things but don't think the W30 rules or the built in support something I needed, although I get why it could be, especially if home cooking is a big lifestyle change.)