More Exercise = weight gain?

Options
Has anyone ever noticed that if they lift more weights or exercise more their weight may go up? I've been lifting more weights and my weight has gone up 3-4 lbs, but I also recently switched birth control. The only weird thing is that my clothes are still fitting the same....

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It'll be water weight probably
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Starting to lift weights (or going from doing it just a little to regularly lifting) and changing birth control can all cause water weight flucturations. Yes, that is normal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup. If I add more volume to my lifting my weight jumps, same with more intense cardio. And hormones and BC definitely can impact water weight too.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find it happens when I change the intensity of a workout routine, harder cardio, heavier weights etc. It’s all just your body adjusting to the harder work load and usually comes back off within a week or so
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Your weight goes up, or the number on the scale goes up?

Semantics and hair splitting, I know, but it matters.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale I suppose! I'm just going to stay off the scale until winter and stick to my workouts and tracking! winter will be 6 months being on the new pill .. obviously if I start gaining enough weight where my clothes don't fit anymore - I know there is a problem.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

That's the same thing. Maybe you meant to say "fat goes up or weight goes up" as these are indeed two different things. The number on the scales however IS the weight. OP's weight did go up, no semantics there.

OP, your muscles retain water while reparing that is why your weight went up.
  • jjpptt2
    edited August 2018
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

That's the same thing. Maybe you meant to say "fat goes up or weight goes up" as these are indeed two different things. The number on the scales however IS the weight. OP's weight did go up, no semantics there.

The mindset is different. Worrying about weight is different than worrying about mass.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

The mindset is different. Worrying about weight is different than worrying about mass.

Same thing. Your total mass has weight and it is what you see on the scale.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

You seem a bit confused. Everything has mass including water. The way to refer to the amount of mass while on Earth is through its weight (weight is the force exerted on the mass by the Earth). Talking about your mass is the same as talking about your weight (colloquially).

Talking about your fat IS NOT the same as talking about your mass (or weight). Your mass might increase (which would lead to its weight increasing of course) but your fat might not have increased. So we have to worry about our fat and not about our mass (or weight which is the same colloquially).
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    You're right, my mistake.