CICO, It's a math formula

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    "Salads are for suckers! Lose weight eating frozen pizza and beer that you've carefully measured on your food scale!"

But that's how I lost 125lbs...
  • Quest4More
    Quest4More Posts: 24 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Quest4More wrote: »
    Calories are NOT all equal....first of all a calorie is defined as "the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere"....this has absolutely nothing to do with the human body and does not take into consideration the way our body processes different things....you could eat a block of wood and that wood would have calories according to the standard definition but it would pass through the body without ever being processed because our body cannot digest it....same goes for all different kinds of foods that have fiber content. Furthermore and much more importantly, Carbohydrates have a different effect than protein and fat on the body....namely the production of insulin which tells the body to store fat....there are studies that put one group of people on a Low Carb High Fat diet and another group on a High Carb Low fat Diet and fed them both the EXACT same Calories. By your definition, they should have both lost the same exact amount of weight.... and in fact at the end of the study, they both lost weight because of CICO....BUT the High Fat Low Carb group lost considerably more weight than the other....almost double. This is easily explained by the effect of Carbs on Insulin (insulin spike) which tells the body to store fat. This is a concept foreign to most and the reason why your formula while technically true does not tell the whole truth.

A calorie is just a calorie. You are talking about macro- and micro-nutrients, which are indeed different in each food...or wood.

Yep, and he even got that wrong. People don't "lose nearly twice the weight" on the same calories when they modify their macros, and they sure as hell don't store fat in a deficit, but I'm too tired to get into the same old chewed up insulin hypothesis.

You are twisting my words...I didnt say you would store fat/gain weight in a deficit....I stated that insulin tells the body to store fat.....this is not a hypothesis, its been proven....look at the vast majority of Type 2 diabetes that go on Insulin and eat the same diet....they almost all gain weight. Is that a coincidence? No, its the insulin. Anyone that says hormones like Insulin and Cortisol have nothing to do with how our bodies store fat is just wrong...its been shown time and time again to be true. Get some sleep and when you are less tired look up some studies having to do with hormones and their effects on weight gain/loss. Its pretty interesting stuff. ;-)

Insulin isn't telling anyone to do anything. Insulin is a UPS delivery guy. There's stuff insulin can deliver, Insulin comes and delivers it. Nothing to deliver, insulin doesn't come out. You're mixing up cause and effect.

Fair enough....but would you not be better off if you kept insulin levels at a minimum or even keeled through a low carb diet? As with Type 2 diabetes, an excess of insulin leads to insulin resistance which leads to higher levels of fat?

But "carbs" don't lead to "an excess of insulin".

My understanding is that, at least generally, weight gain leads to insulin resistance, not the other way around. I don't believe it's any kind of proven science that insulin resistance causes weight gain. Do you have any sources for that I could read?

From a paper put out by the National Institute of Health...

"Insulin resistance is a requisite precursor for the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), and is associated with hypertension and dyslipidemia [1]. Epidemiological data link T2DM with obesity, and a causal relationship between insulin resistance and weight gain has been gleaned from classical studies in which lean individuals with no previous history of obesity or diabetes became insulin resistant upon experimental overnutrition [2]. These facts reinforce the great importance of understanding the physiological basis for insulin resistance in obesity."

Heres the link...seems to be a well documented hypothesis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4038351/
This discussion has been closed.