CICO, It's a math formula

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 below are some factors that most people do not have when trying to compute CICO that I ran upon this evening when studying the use of pH strips.

nhe.net/ebook/CleanArteriesForever.pdf

Page 14:
    "You exercise and diet in order to make your fat go away. But your body says to itself, “I need
    that Fat. That is my warehouse for stored toxins.” So it holds onto the fat. It resists losing weight.
    And you get frustrated because you remain fat because you do not understand the real problem....."

Page 20:
    "The Dangers of Dehydration: 75 percent of Americans are dehydrated, meaning they don't get
    the eight, 8 oz. glasses (about two liters or quarts) of servings of water recommended by
    mainstream health experts. (pg. 53)
    If you don't get enough water then you'll get fat. Simple as that. (pg. 53)
    An acid body pulls water into the tissues to try to neutralize the acids there. (pg. 53)
    Most important, the body uses water to neutralize the acids, to dilute excess acid, and to literally
    wash them (and all toxins) out of the body via urine and sweat and through the bowels. Without
    enough water your body becomes too acidic and goes into preservation (fat storing) mode. A
    drop of just over 2 percent in body water content is enough to make that happen. (pg. 53)"

Also page 20:
    "......And German researchers found that drinking water increases the rate at which you
    burn calories Just two cups of water increased metabolic rate by almost a third-and it stayed for
    up for about half an hour. (pg. 56)"

Curious. What does this have to do with the mathematics of calories in/ calories out?

How would you compute the calorie burned due to two liters of water drank per the German research?

"Therefore, the thermogenic effect of water should be considered when estimating energy expenditure, particularly during weight loss programs."

What? I don't follow. This still has nothing to do with the math of calories in and out.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins
    Gale, I sincerely want to know. Do you truly believe that the scientific community is trying to suppress some 'truths' from you?

I actually wasn't being sarcastic with my suggestion of a media literacy class. Rude, yes. Gale, I'm sorry that I was rude.

I think that many people, like William Shatner, genuinely believe that Google curates the web pages displayed in a search. Many people wrongly think that if something appears on Google it must have some legitimacy. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/what_we_can_learn_from_william_shatner_s_twitter_meltdown.html

@RoteBook I did see your post as rude nor those from others. I just see posts like that showing a misunderstanding about the complex human body in general.

After digging through medical research for over 40 years now I have developed some logic in understanding and reading research as well as in the process of earning my terminal degree in healthcare so I read everything that I find. Being able to do my own peer reviewing of others research takes away the fear of falling for false data long term like for example what has come out supporting Low Fat High Carb WOE's over the past 50 years for everyone. No one WOE fits everyone.

nhe.net/ebook/CleanArteriesForever.pdf was just an ebook that I came across last night with some info about urine and saliva pH ranges. It made reference out of Germany that points out the failure of over simplification of the concept of CICO when the concept is being applied to weight loss.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Really great post thanks for providing this information. I've definitely been able to lose weight by following the calories in vs versus calories method. All I do is eat at a deficit :) thanks for this helpful post.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @GaleHawkins
    Gale, I sincerely want to know. Do you truly believe that the scientific community is trying to suppress some 'truths' from you?

I actually wasn't being sarcastic with my suggestion of a media literacy class. Rude, yes. Gale, I'm sorry that I was rude.

I think that many people, like William Shatner, genuinely believe that Google curates the web pages displayed in a search. Many people wrongly think that if something appears on Google it must have some legitimacy. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/what_we_can_learn_from_william_shatner_s_twitter_meltdown.html

The faith that some people have in information just because it shows up in a Google search would be touching if it wasn't having such a detrimental impact on our world.

That is a very factual statement and one of the concerns I have for new members on MFP. All of my posts are written in a way that I should be able to go into a courtroom and with accepted science sources prove my post. It is also why I do not offer to give others medical or eating advice.

We live in a day where it comes from the web or from a local doctor's office the patient still needs to sort through all medical advice. There are left wing, middle of the road and right wing sources of medical advice in the world. The 25-40 year lag for a true peer reviews of clinical data from the field is often killing us prematurely and I think that will continue.

I just learned more about Vitamin K2 MK7 being essential in preventing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc last week yet the research has been out on the web for years. Main stream medical reporting seldom is covering leading edge medical concepts and treatments that can make for interesting reading.
    https://selfhacked.com/2016/05/12/top-10-science-based-benefits-vitamin-k2/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins

The faith that some people have in information just because it shows up in a Google search would be touching if it wasn't having such a detrimental impact on our world.

That is a very factual statement and one of the concerns I have for new members on MFP. All of my posts are written in a way that I should be able to go into a courtroom and with accepted science sources prove my post. It is also why I do not offer to give others medical or eating advice.

We live in a day where it comes from the web or from a local doctor's office the patient still needs to sort through all medical advice. There are left wing, middle of the road and right wing sources of medical advice in the world. The 25-40 year lag for a true peer reviews of clinical data from the field is often killing us prematurely and I think that will continue.

I just learned more about Vitamin K2 MK7 being essential in preventing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc last week yet the research has been out on the web for years. Main stream medical reporting seldom is covering leading edge medical concepts and treatments that can make for interesting reading.
    https://selfhacked.com/2016/05/12/top-10-science-based-benefits-vitamin-k2/

The media tends to not cover anything that can't be overblown and sensationalized. If Vit K2 is preventing cancer and other major illnesses, that sounds like something the media would be salivating over. Although it's not a riveting as "the top 5 things to never eat to rid your belly fat." I'll look at the studies later, if I get the chance. Today will not be that day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins

@RoteBook I did see your post as rude nor those from others. I just see posts like that showing a misunderstanding about the complex human body in general.

After digging through medical research for over 40 years now I have developed some logic in understanding and reading research as well as in the process of earning my terminal degree in healthcare so I read everything that I find. Being able to do my own peer reviewing of others research takes away the fear of falling for false data long term like for example what has come out supporting Low Fat High Carb WOE's over the past 50 years for everyone. No one WOE fits everyone.

nhe.net/ebook/CleanArteriesForever.pdf was just an ebook that I came across last night with some info about urine and saliva pH ranges. It made reference out of Germany that points out the failure of over simplification of the concept of CICO when the concept is being applied to weight loss.

Just curious - your degree is in public health?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins

Just curious - your degree is in public health?

OD but in earning it I have to say the public health area of study was very interesting.

The first book I plan to publish some day most likely will be geared more to my life of pain and what I finally found that worked in my specific case to start recovering years of lost health and the associated effects.

I am only three years of my current research on my current way of eating and a lot of it is fitting in well with what I have researched over the past 40 years as to my personal health case. Patterns start to appear and sometimes it will be just one line in a low grade paper that will make past readings click. Close to 100% of research papers will contain statements that are highly questionable but that is just fine. I am going for the big picture.

One thing that I have learned about the CICO concept is to do it in a way that lowers my CRP test score. Almost no human diseases develop so they can harm or kill us without decades of low levels of body inflammation. The test is cheap in the USA and can be ordered myself online so it can be done as often as I wish. Below is just one option in my local area.

lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC120766/C-Reactive-Protein-CRP-Cardiac-Blood-Test?sourcecode=PPL602W&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFqWpcW_b5JqZ4C1FhYDAW9ToinVTU0N6ruJm27-jvQxoCKjTw_wcB
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Page 20:
    "The Dangers of Dehydration: 75 percent of Americans are dehydrated, meaning they don't get
    the eight, 8 oz. glasses (about two liters or quarts) of servings of water recommended by
    mainstream health experts. (pg. 53)
    If you don't get enough water then you'll get fat. Simple as that. (pg. 53)
    An acid body pulls water into the tissues to try to neutralize the acids there. (pg. 53)
    Most important, the body uses water to neutralize the acids, to dilute excess acid, and to literally
    wash them (and all toxins) out of the body via urine and sweat and through the bowels. Without
    enough water your body becomes too acidic and goes into preservation (fat storing) mode. A
    drop of just over 2 percent in body water content is enough to make that happen. (pg. 53)"
    I'm not sure about all this, and I won't post all my disagreements/questions here, but I do think hydration is important. Dehydration is one of the many things that can affect metabolism (and thus the CO part of the equation). And proper hydration seems to be helpful in increasing metabolism. There are a bunch of studies supporting the idea that drinking water helps with weight control or weight loss, though not necessarily for the same reasons that author thinks.
This discussion has been closed.