Weight loss for people 5’3 and under

Options
Does anyone find it harder to lose weight being shorter? I am 5’1 and feel like I have a harder time losing weight and if I gain a pound it looks like 5 on me! If anyone has some good weight loss tips or experiences let me know!

Replies

• Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" (on a good day) and struggle with how I can see every pound but I'm nearly 20lbs lighter and hardly anyone has mentioned.

My goal is 1450 a day plus half my exercise calories. What about you?
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    cnjg6677 wrote: »
    I completely sympathize I’m 4”11 and 1 pound gain is very noticeable but I’ve lost 40 pounds and have been maintaining for a year now you can do it it’s hard but very possible
    Yes it’s not fair haha! If you don’t mind me asking but how many calories do you try to eat during a day?

Mfp gives me 1200 calories a day
  • Angielosingitagain
    Angielosingitagain Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm barely 5'4" (idk if that counts) but I can relate! Unless it's water weight, everything is super noticable. Also, we burn less metabolically speaking and which can make weight gain easier if we aren't careful. It is still very possible to lose it. I have lost 80 pounds but unfortunately I gain some of it back due to stressful period and overeating. So don't lose hope cause of your height! (:
  • rayraynicole15
    rayraynicole15 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I completely sympathize I’m 4”11 and 1 pound gain is very noticeable but I’ve lost 40 pounds and have been maintaining for a year now you can do it it’s hard but very possible
    Yes it’s not fair haha! If you don’t mind me asking but how many calories do you try to eat during a day?

Mfp gives me 1200 calories a day
    1200 is what mfp gave me as well. I do great through out the day and workout out 5 days a week but after dinner things start to go downhill and I binge. Idk how to control it ☹️ but it messes up my progress and I keep fluctuating between a couple ounces that keep me from losing another lb .

• rayraynicole15
    Options
    I'm barely 5'4" (idk if that counts) but I can relate! Unless it's water weight, everything is super noticable. Also, we burn less metabolically speaking and which can make weight gain easier if we aren't careful. It is still very possible to lose it. I have lost 80 pounds but unfortunately I gain some of it back due to stressful period and overeating. So don't lose hope cause of your height! (:

That is amazing you have lost 80 lbs! That is such an accomplishment!! Thank you for sharing that with me! It definitely discourages me seeing taller people who weigh the same as me who are so skinny! Idk if you know this but is it better to eat high protein and low carb? Cause that’s what I have been doing but I don’t wanna over do it with protein and gain weight
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Short people lose weight the same way as everyone else - by creating a sustained calorie deficit over time. And being petite is not an automatic low calorie sentence for weight loss.

I’m 5’2, and lost most of my weight, ~35 lbs, eating b/w 1600-1900 cals total. I’m currently maintaining at around 118 for the last few years with a TDEE of around 2100-2200.
    That is awesome I can’t wait to lose the weight so I can start maintaining. What are some things you did in the beginning to help you get on the right track??
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    Definitely harder. Your body uses less calories, there’s a lot less wiggle room for cheats and bad days unless you want to lose all progress lol, you also burn less with exercise since there is less of you to move. It’s totally possible but takes real dedication I’ve found...

Ugh it definitely does and is very discouraging. I’m still new to trying to figure out this whole fitness thing. I struggle a lot with the nutrition part idk what kind of diet I should be eating! I try to do higher protein and low carb but idk if that’s the way to go.
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    5'3 and closing in on goal. Now on 1360 to lose 1/2lb per week, but I exercise to get more calories.
    I hope you reach your goal very soon!!

• rayraynicole15
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3" and in my 40s. I lost 25 lbs about five years ago eating around 1350 calories plus all my exercise calories (after taking about 5 weeks to figure what they actually are). MFP gave me 1200 but I bumped it up manually. I lost an average of a 1/2 pound a week though the scale didn't reflect it but every 3 weeks or so. With being female and doing mostly weightlifting my water weight hid a lot of the progress on the scale. I made sure to take measurements and photos because the change was much more obvious there.

The best thing I did for myself was to make a habit of weighing everything I could, even pre-packaged items. With so small a deficit, those discrepancies on food labels can have a significant effect on a weekly deficit. I also watched my weekly calories instead of just daily ones so I could balance over calorie days with under calorie ones. It gives a lot more flexibility in allowing me to work in higher calorie foods that I really enjoy.
    Congrats on losing 25 lbs! That’s amazing! I do weightlifting as well, I do resistance 2x a week and cardio 2x a week. Water weight is a big one for me, I feel like all I do is drink water like a fish trying to counteract it lol. And that’s a great idea, I need to get better about weighing things and not just go by the labels. I find that I usually always finish the day under my calorie goal. I know that isn’t good but I’m so afraid of going over it and I weigh myself everyday sometimes more than once to see how I’m doing and it makes me crazy some times 🙄
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am 5'0" and 131. I have lost 14 lbs and everyone is noticing. I have another 15 to go. Yes, every lb counts and so good logging is essential. I am eating 1400 currently. Btw, feel free to add me. I would love some shorty friends.

That is so great!! Mfp gave me 1200 and on days I work out I eat around 1400. What are some things you did in the beginnng to help you lose the weight ?