Headaches have me worried

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure it is salt or caffeine is your problem. What kind of carbs are you eating? Women should have between 30-45 good carbs per meal to keep your blood sugar stable. If your blood sugar is taking a dip or gets too high, that can cause a host of other symptoms, like a headache. Do you also feel fatigued? It's great to go low carb, but you need to be careful to spread your carbs on things that are good for you (like leafy greens, green beans, salads, and fruit) and if you are doing KETO, make sure you don't do it too long. (my advice to everyone is to keep a food diary (MFP makes it easy) and then make an appointment with a registered dietician, and let them advise you.

Falling BG from reactive hypoglycaemia used to result in headaches for me too, but cutting carbs to about 20 g a day cured me of that. Without a lot of carbs at every meal, my BG was no longer going up and down, plus my brain started relying on ketones for fuel so the symptoms were no longer created.

After 3+ years keto, it still works. :)
  • leftsox
    leftsox Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Low carb = more salt, drink a powerade zero or the new gateraid zero, if the headache is gone in 20 minutes you needed salt and potassium...works for me. I'm doing Keto and drink half a bottle at night..since then no more headaches..
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay under 50 g carbs when dieting. Every time I am just starting out, I am usually coming off a lot of sugar and always have headaches and have a drop in energy for about 5 days. If you can hold out, they will go away. Drink lots of water and be kind to yourself until they do. Sugar withdrawals can be just as bad as caffeine. You will start feeling so much better after you get all that sugar out of your system. Good Luck.