Therapy Thread: How have you changed since you lost a bunch of weight?

Options
Of course, there are the fun stuff like increased strength, confidence, going wild buying clothes, etc.

But the biggest changes has to do with the way I value myself and how that change makes me relate to others.

I stopped feeling guilty about doing stuff for me. Oh, someone just showed up at my door when I'm getting ready to go the gym? Sorry, I'm headed out.

People's opinions have lost an extreme amount of value. I realized that no matter what I did, certain people would have something negative to say about it. So if they are a negative Nancy or negative Nate, they shouldn't be surprised if I don't ask for their opinion and don't give a squat if they volunteer it.

I've leaned back in a lot of my relationships. I'm not putting in more effort than the other person.

You can imagine how distant I must seem to everyone.

But I'm a lot happier smelling the roses instead of trying to clutch them tightly while their thorns pierce my hands.

If they want to be held close, they need to remove the thorns.

What are the biggest changes you've noticed in yourself since losing a lot of weight?

Replies

• R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I started to value and accept myself as a person and with that I found my voice.That to me has been my biggest change. This isn't just a physical transformation but a mental and emotional one as well.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad last year. Found out some bad things in regards to my relationship and I swore 2018 was going to be my year. I woke up one day in January, on a Saturday, and said I'm changing my life. I've lost 25lbs since then. I no longer put certain people before me, I don't let harsh words hurt me and I don't feel guilty for thinking I look good or pretty that day.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Misty_1375 wrote: »
    I had a really bad last year. Found out some bad things in regards to my relationship and I swore 2018 was going to be my year. I woke up one day in January, on a Saturday, and said I'm changing my life. I've lost 25lbs since then. I no longer put certain people before me, I don't let harsh words hurt me and I don't feel guilty for thinking I look good or pretty that day.

Dang straight.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've let myself feel hunger pangs without feeling desperate to fill myself with food, as if it will all disappear if I don't eat everything instantly.
  • ShellyPru84
    ShellyPru84 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You’re pretty anyway. Love your hair!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    The biggest change and growth came when I lost approximately 70kg of controlling, manipulative and abusive husband weight. I am more me that I have been in a decade!
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

You’re pretty anyway. Love your hair!

Thank you <3
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The biggest change and growth came when I lost approximately 70kg of controlling, manipulative and abusive husband weight. I am more me that I have been in a decade!

You were married to a dwarf?
  • Versicolour
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

No. But he is really skinny (and not terribly tall). When he was gyming seriously (too seriously) he was 80kg
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

No. But he is really skinny (and not terribly tall). When he was gyming seriously (too seriously) he was 80kg

It's ok. We won't think any less of you.
  • Versicolour
    Options

It's ok. We won't think any less of you.

You'd better not. You see my katana there? Think less of me and there'll be less of you!

(this golden opportunity, couldn't be missed)