How much training / How much food / Weight goal

Options
Hi

I have used myfitnesspal and have reached my weight goal and l have lost 7 kgs in weight (mostly fat I think).

Now I want to focus on getting stronger and more fit. I train crossfit.

What I am struggling with is how to set my new weight goal. If I should gain weight, how much training do I need to complete in order to not gain weight in fat?

Maybe good strategy for me would be to set my goal to keep my weight and focus on reaching the protein goal and see what happens. I only train like 3 times a week.

//SImon

Replies

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What height, weight and body fat percentage are you? Do you want to put on weight or stay where you are?

Remember now you have lost the weight than you will need to work your calories back to your tdee or you will keep losing.

If you wanted to try and minimise fat gains, assuming your bf is low enough then normal suggestion for a male would be to eat in a 250-500 surplus over tdee per day while training. This should help minimise fat gains. If you are new to lifting you might be due some newbie gains so recomp might be better initially to maximise yr muscle gains
  • ArmouredMuscle
    ArmouredMuscle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A thing I read to gain muscle mass is set your MFP to MAINTAIN your weight. You then eat 10% more on training days and 10% less on rest days...but that's for lean mass.

I can't say whether hitting your protein goal is more beneficial than your calorie goal, perhaps someone else can shed light. But focusing on calorie or protein alone will have negative effects elsewhere.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi

I have used myfitnesspal and have reached my weight goal and l have lost 7 kgs in weight (mostly fat I think).

Now I want to focus on getting stronger and more fit. I train crossfit.

What I am struggling with is how to set my new weight goal. If I should gain weight, how much training do I need to complete in order to not gain weight in fat?

Maybe good strategy for me would be to set my goal to keep my weight and focus on reaching the protein goal and see what happens. I only train like 3 times a week.

//SImon

Your height and weight would help.
    Your choices are:
    1. Recomp. You eat your maintenance calories and focus on exercise. You will v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y lose a little bit more fat and gain a little bit of muscle. Recomp progress is measured in months and years. A well designed progressive strength training program will help optimize your results. This post has more info: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    2. If you are interested in gaining a little weight, you can eat in a small surplus. This will make it easier to build some muscle, but you will gain some fat along with it. That's just the way it works, and why many do bulk & cut cycles. These threads will prob say it better than I can: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
      https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Getting enough protein is important, but calories are the key to your weight, and your training is the key to muscle strength and building. If you can give more specific info, there are a lot of veteran posters more experienced with this stuff than I am who can elaborate. Good luck!