Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    63yobjkjkdqj.jpg
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with someone today. Roast really does make a difference. I used to be a dark roast person, but anymore I really, really love the blonde roasts. They are bold, but so ultra smooth. They don't have a hint of that "burnt" flavor that you can sometimes get with darker roasts. So perfect for black coffee.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Sumatra - I think it tastes better when made at home rather than at a Starbucks
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Once I started pushing myself to drink cafeteria coffee at work black, all other black coffee tastes amazing.

Victor Allen: Amazing.
    Green Mountain: Amazing.
    Great Value: Amazing.
    Instant coffee crystals: Tolerable in a pinch.

Cafeteria coffee: *shudder*

I had to laugh at this but I agree. I started drinking black coffee in diners and the generic stuff from the supermarket so now everything tastes great.

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee black for a couple of months now, and I can't imagine having it any other way now. I appreciate good coffee on a whole new level ..
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    For me, always arabica, the brand doesn't matter as much as it being fresh. I'd love to buy a good espresso machine, but so far settle for the one at work.

You could try having your coffee:
    - espresso
    - filter
    - turkish (you need a finer grind for that)
    - stovetop (boil water, shut down hob, pour coffee, cover or pour a bit of cold water inside to let the grounds sink, serve)

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is the Brikka - http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/brikka-c-1_7_24.html. A wonderful piece of Italian ingenuity. Breaks my heart that it does not work on induction hobs.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was just talking about this with someone today. Roast really does make a difference. I used to be a dark roast person, but anymore I really, really love the blonde roasts. They are bold, but so ultra smooth. They don't have a hint of that "burnt" flavor that you can sometimes get with darker roasts. So perfect for black coffee.

I would love to try this, but I only drink decaf. I wonder if I can find a decaf blonde roast?

I can't be bothered to grind my own beans, so I just buy them already ground. Usually Starbucks decaf House blend, or maybe Dunkin' Donuts decaf. Sometimes I'll try some of the organic decaf coffees if I can find them. I do agree, the roast really matters. I don't like a French roast or dark roast. I like the milder roasts, maybe a breakfast blend. You'll have to try a few different things. But it stinks to buy a whole bag of coffee that you end up not liking. When that happens, I save it and mix it together with one that I like better.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    While overall I'm not too picky, I've drank coffee black from the beginning even as low as gas station coffee. However, I remember my first trip to Europe. I was in south west Germany, not too far from Cologne. I stopped at a cheap little no frills deli and had a café and a sandwich for 3 EU or so, and it was thee best coffee I'd ever had. It just a basic commercial coffee maker but it was so good. Just black w/ that little foamy crema they get from the brewing process. I've always been puzzled why no one in America makes coffee like that its so delicious.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink Illy or Lavazza from La Cafetièreat home. Pretty much every bar in Italy uses the same brands.

I went to the USA once and tried filtered coffee. An unpleasant experience for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy your coffee sweetened and with milk/cream, no black coffee will provide the same experience regardless of how good it is. It's kind of like trying to drink plain milk as a substitute for a milkshake.

I buy coffee from my local roaster and grind the beans myself if I want quality. Pre-ground coffees from the supermarket are all fairly mediocre if not downright bad so I don't have a huge preference for store brands (I tend toward folgers or maxwell house because they're dirt cheap).

I second the suggestion to try cold brew iced coffee to get used to drinking it black. It's a more mild brew and doesn't have a lot of the acidity or bitterness that you might find in a hot brewed cup.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Late to the conversation, but I've found that freshly ground beans brewed with an Areopress produces a very smooth cup. Just make sure the water isn't too hot. I bring it to boil in my kettle and let it sit for about 5 minutes or so. I LOVE my Areopress!!
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As a barista, I may be biased but most grocery store coffees aren’t worth the money for the taste 🤮 I enjoy dark roast for the flavor with notes of cocoa and nuts. I enjoy a low acidity brew. Try coffee from your local coffee shop! Also try grinding it right before you brew it! I got a grinder from Walmart for $14 and it works great!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I generally like Starbucks French Roast, whole bean, ground fresh. But lately I have been drinking Cold Brew with a shot of sugar free chocolate syrup. I sometimes put it into the blender with ice and it is refreshing with the hot weather. BTW, the way I got accustomed to black coffee - I stopped using cream and then started using sugar substitute. Eventually I was able to top the sugar substitute. (my then boyfriend, now husband was almost always out of a sweetener, so it just became easier to drink it black.

• kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like American Pride Roasters. Especially the Franklin and the First Thanksgiving ones. You do have to order it online but it’s really great if you ask me.
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I stick with eight o'clock as well, I keep the beans in in the freezer and grind them for each brew, I had an espresso machine with a press and it just took to much effort, I need my coffee first thing so I put ice in it to cool it off enough for me to drink it right away.
  • googtoyou
    googtoyou Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like a medium roast. I grind just enough beans and either use a French press or stove top percolator. I had a pinch of salt before brewing because Alton Brown said to and he is my kitchen god.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime black coffee drinker, as were my parents. I do take milk, half-half or cream but that's when (a) I'm rushed and need to cool it faster, (b) as an occasional "treat" or (c) it's truly ratty coffee [gas station coffee is an example, LOL]. This (dairy) is maybe 5% or less of my consumption. 999 out of 1000 cups, no sweetener, including in espresso.

Drinking black exposes the full character of the coffee. My experience is that there are a few really good beans/blends, a great variety of acceptable and perfectly satisfactory ones, and some horrid ones, but the main differences (esp. leading to making an OK coffee ratty) are in the quality of prep: water, cleanliness of the equipment [e.g., no accumulation of old oils and acids], brewing method, age [how long the brewed coffee sits around after brewing], etc.). Almost all of the main national brands are OK, and have differing characteristics requiring your own taste tests. Many specialty/regional/local products are excellent. No matter the method or product, decaf coffees have less flavor no matter what their proponents tell you. The occasion, meal/time-of-day, mood, etc., all lead to preferring a specific type at a specific moment - coffee is like wine in this regard, not being a one-type-fits-all thing. I'm not a fan of the in-home "keurig cup"-type of prep, but accept this in offices/etc.

Does this all sound like making things over-complex, over-thought? Yes, probably. My suggestion: start with a more mellow type (such as mocha - the bean type, not the mixed coffee drink) to break in your taste buds, then move towards bolder, richer types for variety and to find your preferences. All the suggestions about 8 o'clock, maxwell house, etc., are all reasonable too. Or just grab a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee and experiment with strength/brewing/etc., LOL.
  • kmeyer6979
    kmeyer6979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kchuch77 wrote: »
    Hey guys -

I love coffee & drink mine with a little cream, but want to start drinking it black. I see a lot of people say if you have good coffee, you don’t need to add anything to it, so for all you black coffee drinkers out there...is there any particular brand & roast you prefer? I’ve been drinking plain old Maxwell House Medium Roast...

Personally I think dark roast is the best. If you afford beans and grind them it’s a game changer. If not then I love any dark roast. Rev is very good and Italian roasts are as well taste great black.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    As if we need another reason to drink black other than the richness of the drink itself: in weird news today, I saw an item that a customer of a McDonald's in Calgary was served some sort of poison in her latte. The restaurant had hooked up a cleaning fluid line to the coffee machine rather than a milk line.