Calves

Options
2»

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mentions many training aspects discussed here (notably the short recovery time between sets/metabolite techniques/drop sets, full ROM, frequency, time training, straight vs bent leg movements, etc.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISePfnmknYY[youtube/]
  • Gshort78
    Gshort78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    There is a lot of this, but calves are one of the few body parts that can take years to grow. Jeff Nippard did a pretty good summary on this.

https://youtu.be/21inrjhoFkQ

That right leg looks like a penis.
  • Morgue619
    Morgue619 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it helps, but mine seemed to grow well over time years ago when I switched up most of my cardio to cycling/riding my mountain bike almost every day. I heard it helps you keep muscle mass more than running does so maybe there's something to it!
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert a bulking up or anything like that, so take this with a grain of salt, but my calves always burn after my leg workout, and they're about the only part of my body where I can actually see muscle definition (I wish they were smaller but that's genetics for ya!). Some ideas from a ballet workout:

1. slow calf raises (like 4 counts up, 4 counts down, and keep the resistance when you're coming down, don't just fall or let gravity do the work!)
    2. pulses (at the top of a calf raise, pulse (not bounce) for about 16 counts and think about getting up as high on your tip toes as you can. Keep your alignment straight and don't let your knees bend too much)
    3. one legged calf raises (slow, regular speed, and with pulses)
    4. jumps- just jump and use your whole foot to launch you off the ground and point your toes at the top of each jump, them come down 'softly' through the whole foot. That's more of a whole leg exercise than just calves though
    5. single leg squat to calf raise- not a deep squat, but enough to stretch that calf and maintain resistance against the floor (which is discussed in JTSstrength.com video posted above)

All of the above (especially the really slow rises) should also strengthen your feet, so remember to stretch/ roll out your feet and ankles afterwards.